GL1800Riders Forums banner

Arizona guys : rear tire question

4K views 51 replies 19 participants last post by  kwthom 
#1 ·
I know some folks ride on non cycle tires on the rear.

Thinking about checking that out. Suggestions?

I've found another rear wheel... more correctly , the wheel found me.

#2 ·
Michelin Alpin in 195 55 16 size...the Darkside board will have loads of info to start with. Check with Lanny or Wayne as well.

Sent from my teeny screen using my big fat fingers!

#4 ·
JUST REMEMBER ITS NOT A MC TIRE ! WONT BE IDENTICAL ! TOOK ME ABOUT 80 MILES . WONT GO BACK !:bow::bow: IF YA DONT LIKE POST FOR SALE N WILL GO QUICK !! WELCOME TO DS (MAYBE );):shrug:

#5 ·
I posted in Arizona section , since I knew a couple fellows in AZ could be one to one on discussion.

All information aprreciated.

No hurry, I do not have the wheel yet... road trip to pick it up . :coffee1:

#6 ·
I posted in Arizona section , since I knew a couple fellows in AZ could be one to one on discussion.

All information aprreciated.

No hurry, I do not have the wheel yet... road trip to pick it up . :coffee1:
Have you ridden on one yet? I have one mounted on a spare wheel that you can try. It isn't for everyone, but I love em!

#7 ·
I've got the Michelin as well. Got the tire from Tire Rack and Discount Tire mounted it. They asked what type of car it was going on and I told them it was for a trike. Mototire on Cave Creek road will mount them also.

#8 ·
I was dead set against a CT on my wing, but my daily commute is 202 to the 60 and west to Mesa Drive and then back again. It's 90% speedline and I was eating up the centers of MC tires like crazy.. plus, I had been thru 1 blowout on a rear tire going up the I-10 to 60 HOV ramp when it went from 32 to 0 psi in about 3 seconds and I thought I was going over the wall and down into the northbound I-10 Traffic.

RUNFLAT is where it at for me. I'm running the Alpin and the soft edge doesn't really bother me as it does some of the more "on the edge" riders.

I have a spare Alpin but I might put the Yokahama Avid Envigor ZPT RFT because people who've been riding it say it drops down into the curves with less force.

matt

#9 ·
Tony I've run the Kumho and the Pirelli Cinturato in RF on mine at the size previously designated, With the new bike I'll either go with the Alpin or the Yokohama. The getting used to it part will take you about 10 minutes and then you'll forget the difference as far as turning. You'll only see the difference if you switch back like I'm going through right now. Much softer ride on the CT and and more stable under braking, gravel roads and rain. Personally I think MT tires are dangerous in comparison and can't wait to get back on a CT. Are there definite differences yes, to me the main one is uneven pavement at low speeds the bike will want to go in the direction of any drop off. Very minor, not a problem. Cheaper and better mileage also.

#10 ·
Have you ridden on one yet? I have one mounted on a spare wheel that you can try. It isn't for everyone, but I love em!
Thanks for offer. I have not ridden on alternative tire.. Should not be too hard for me. Riden on odd ball stuff over the decades of riding .

I need to get the wheel picked up. then: Buy a tire.

I need to retire to have more time... but then some retired friends tell me they need a job to have more free time. ;)

#12 ·
Found: Yokohama AVID ENVigor ZPS Runflat Tire 195-55-16

On eBay : $170.00 shipped out from Ohio

I have 10,500 miles on OEM Bridgestone tires on my bike.. summer vacation coming up. Usually 4 - 5 k mile road trip

#13 ·
Give yourself a bit of time with the new tire first, but you will love it while on your trip, especially in the wet.

My second Alpin gets mounted up this weekend, with around 18k on the old one, I'll keep a bit of tread on it and store it for now.

Enjoy the new shoe!

#16 ·
Give yourself a bit of time with the new tire first, but you will love it while on your trip, especially in the wet.

My second Alpin gets mounted up this weekend, with around 18k on the old one, I'll keep a bit of tread on it and store it for now.

Enjoy the new shoe!

Road trip is about 8 weeks out, it will be here before I know it. I ride an average of 320 miles a week in town for work commute.. Hopefully I adjust to the tire quickly or decide not for me. Just so i am ready for the road trip with good tires.

I dont see the adjustment as a problem though..

#17 ·
Road trip is about 8 weeks out, it will be here before I know it. I ride an average of 320 miles a week in town for work commute.. Hopefully I adjust to the tire quickly or decide not for me. Just so i am ready for the road trip with good tires.

I dont see the adjustment as a problem though..
It took me about 3000 miles before I got to the point that I would never go back. Uneven surfaces at low speed are the only thing that takes awhile to really get in your mind so that you automatically avoid them. After all, what can go wrong at .5 mph? :)

#18 ·
Three hundred for me...a couple laps thru salt river canyon did it for me.

Small screen, fat fingers...you know the routine!

#19 ·
OK ... New wheel in the house with new Bridgestone m-c tire on it. Old wheel wil come off bike soon for a new tire installation

Question on Tire Rack:

I ordered from Tire Rack dot com online a ATEQ Vt-15 device to trigger the wheel TPMS on the bike. Next morning I receive email from "Gus" to verify what car I was using the tool on. I did not want to say Honda Goldwing in email IF he was to enter that on record of my purchases.. One email lead to another and the order was cancelled. I found the same tool at different vendor & ordered it.

Is there a method to follow while ordering "one tire" : Michelin Alpin from Tire Rack? Replacement of 4 tires at once is suggested on these tires per Tire Rack

#21 ·
That size is for a Mini Cooper. Just select the no car info on the tire rack site. Or do like I did, Discount matched Tire Racks price, except tax and then mounted my custom trailer tire on that uses a GW rim. Then I take it to get balanced at a motorcycle shop.

#22 ·
Concur with the two comments above. The tool order could have been nixed for any number of reasons...

I just put my second Alpin on last weekend. :thumbup:

#23 ·
Thanks guys.

I knew the Alpin fit a mini Cooper, that is what I said the VT15 TPMS tool was for. I Never looked to see listed vehicles for the tool ATEQ Vt-15. My bad since I own a Cage vehicle it works on .

As I sit here reading responses, Fed-X arrived with the tool. 104.50 buck$ from The Tool Warehouse includes shipping.

Getting the tire mounted is easy. Friends tire shop has proper tools for small to large custom wheels. Their balancer will not mount the Wing wheel.

IF I receive an email from "Gus" about ordering only 1 tire... it is a trailer tire. LOL

#24 ·
Getting the tire mounted is easy. Friends tire shop has proper tools for small to large custom wheels. Their balancer will not mount the Wing wheel.
>50,000 miles, I've never balanced one yet.

#25 ·
Thanks guys.

I knew the Alpin fit a mini Cooper, that is what I said the VT15 TPMS tool was for. I Never looked to see listed vehicles for the tool ATEQ Vt-15. My bad since I own a Cage vehicle it works on .

As I sit here reading responses, Fed-X arrived with the tool. 104.50 buck$ from The Tool Warehouse includes shipping.

IF I receive an email from "Gus" about ordering only 1 tire... it is a trailer tire. LOL
When Discount Tire mounted mine, I told them it was for a trike. :shock:

#26 ·
It's a game the first time, but after that, when they already see a CT on the rim, I've never had them say too much about the item.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.