GL1800Riders Forums banner

New Seat

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Grampawinger 
#1 ·
Well I drove over to Yucca Valley yesterday to look at a Russell Day long that Ken, one of our members had for sale. Decided that since it was that close it was worth the drive to make sure it was ok before I plunked down 700. Well I bought it. It was made for someone even taller than me, and heavier so it's a big firm but I think I will like it. It raises me up about 2 in. The good part is that I think it takes me back a good 3 inches. I have never had this much room on a wing. I can even comfortably use the Ergo pegs that came with the bike. I've never been able to get my feet to those. Definitely need to get my risers installed as it's a long reach to the bars now. The seat came with the backrest for the driver and passenger and is done in Leather. Very nice looking. It has Russell's heating system installed. I need to buy a plug for the oem heater plug so my grip heaters work. I also did not realize that the oem heated the passenger backrest as well. I think for the first time since I bought my 03 I'm going to be truly comfortable on a wing from a height perspective.:excited: On the other side I now have 3 seats, the original seat for my 03 with only 1200 miles on it. The OEM seat for the 08 with 16000 on it and now the Russell. Oh well maybe I'll start a seat collecting hobby

#2 ·
Well I drove over to Yucca Valley yesterday to look at a Russell Day long that Ken, one of our members had for sale. Decided that since it was that close it was worth the drive to make sure it was ok before I plunked down 700. Well I bought it. It was made for someone even taller than me, and heavier so it's a big firm but I think I will like it. It raises me up about 2 in. The good part is that I think it takes me back a good 3 inches. I have never had this much room on a wing. I can even comfortably use the Ergo pegs that came with the bike. I've never been able to get my feet to those. Definitely need to get my risers installed as it's a long reach to the bars now. The seat came with the backrest for the driver and passenger and is done in Leather. Very nice looking. It has Russell's heating system installed. I need to buy a plug for the oem heater plug so my grip heaters work. I also did not realize that the oem heated the passenger backrest as well. I think for the first time since I bought my 03 I'm going to be truly comfortable on a wing from a height perspective.:excited: On the other side I now have 3 seats, the original seat for my 03 with only 1200 miles on it. The OEM seat for the 08 with 16000 on it and now the Russell. Oh well maybe I'll start a seat collecting hobby

Sounds like you're good to go..................nope...............not yet!

#4 ·
Here ya go.. http://www.electricalconnection.com/electrical-components/04300.htm

#5 ·
well thank you, that's 10 bucks cheaper than I had found so far. Still a lot of money for what probably amounts to 5 bucks worth of plug. lol

#6 ·
well thank you, that's 10 bucks cheaper than I had found so far. Still a lot of money for what probably amounts to 5 bucks worth of plug. lol
I just spent over a week to figure out how to convert a Mustang seat with oem heat cables to work with my 03 and Warm N Safe controllers. Mustang and Check Corp, which makes the heaters, could not give me any information. Also, Mustang and Honda mark their connectors differently, which made for a lot of fun.

#7 ·
well I just checked my seat heaters and they work fine. The only difference is the OEM have settings and the Russell is either off or on.

#8 ·
well I just checked my seat heaters and they work fine. The only difference is the OEM have settings and the Russell is either off or on.
I have a heated Russell and it works with the OEM controller. It was built on the original seat pan with the original heating elements. Is yours different?

#9 ·
yes it was built on an original seat pan but not mine. It does not have the factory heating elements it has the heating elements that Russell does for those without heating elements. To do the seat and maintain the factory heat is an option with Russell. I bought this seat used. It is however, only gently used with all the goodies and in leather for 695. quite a savings. Heck the passenger backrest had never even been installed before. I drove my 03 for ten years without heated grips or seats so I think this slight inconvenience and only one heat level is something I can live with. lol. I will get the plug that allows the grip heaters to work again. I kind of liked them.

#10 ·
I didn't know that Russell offered that option. The only time I have ever turned on the driver portion of the seat was to see if it worked. Momma however will use the passenger portion all the time. The heated grips are another story. I give them quite a bit of use.

#11 ·
Yeah...if it was a choice between grip heat and seat heat, grip heat would win every time. Around 50 degrees or so, using thin gloves, it's nice. I use Grip Puppies, so it does take abit of time to get the heat through that 1/8" of insulation, though.

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.