GL1800Riders Forums banner

Is going to Mexico a no-no?

5K views 34 replies 29 participants last post by  CAWing78 
#1 ·
Or is it no problem crossing the border.

Thinking about Rocky Point, specifically. If you have any tips, please advise.

Thanks.

PS: I know...no weapons or contraban. Make sure to have mexico valid insurance.

#2 ·
I wouldn't go to Mexico ever again........Seen way to many killings in the last two years....Many other (safer) sites to see in states..

Also have read about many bikes stolen and owners missing/ or robbed in Mexico.

If you still want to go I would strongly suggest you go in a group of no less than 4 to 6 others and everyone stick together...even going to bathrooms in restaurants /gas stations ect..

#6 ·
Mexico & Central America

I was down in Mexico and Central America couple, years ago, 6 different countries, nevah again. I got very depressed with the grinding poverty and corruption. Sent my wife home on the airlines early. All of them are in cohoots with the drug trade. They cannot resist the money. Dave B.

#7 ·
To answer your specific question crossing the border is no problem. Getting back is another issue. There are places I would not go and I've been going to Mexico all my life. The border towns can be dangerous as well as some coastal towns. Would not hesitate to go to Cozumel or Cancun

#9 ·
I read and hear of folks going and having a great time. Me, not on a dare. Went once, 5 of us on a 4-5 day trip down Baja. We were extorted, overcharged, detained, and gave up around 2 in the afternoon and came home. I said I'd never step across the border again.

The year was 1981. I was the only non-Spanish speaker of the bunch. Could have been just bad luck, but never again
Now days, things are not good in many places. Even the big tourist spots, they warn you to stay in groups and don't get off the tourist path.

Have fun if you go and be wary of everyone. The US admin just set a precedent of catastrophic proportions, just ask Israel. It isn't paranoid when they really are out to get you.

Cheers

#11 ·
I have to agree with all the above posts. Used to have to go there on business with my current company, and also used to live in San Diego and go across quite a bit 30 years ago.

For my current company, we would stay on the US side, and then ride a chartered bus down to the plant site. We were warned not to go out traveling less than three or more. Conditions have really changed for the worse over the last 30 years.

I've been to more poor countries than I care to remember. I no longer feel any need to subject myself to despair and misery - I've got enough of that going to work everyday :). I desire to enjoy what life I have left - going to another country that only sees us as either a meal ticket, a ripoff object, or something to despise is not what I desire.

Plenty of beauty in our own country, and the US can use your money more than someplace else. And as was mentioned earlier - if you want to see crumbling buildings and poverty - come take a ride through Detroit. I've got a spare bedroom you can use :nojoke:.

#12 ·
I know folks that go into Mexico often with no problems. One fellow owns two houses down in Puerto Penasco , one is a vacation rental

Me? Not a chance of going to Mexico. I dont have a Passport, so I do not travel outside the USA

My cousin was in Rocky point area when some local law enforcement were gunned down a few years ago. She still travels there with friends

#13 ·
I wouldn't go to Mexico ever again........Seen way to many killings in the last two years....Many other (safer) sites to see in states..

Also have read about many bikes stolen and owners missing/ or robbed in Mexico.

If you still want to go I would strongly suggest you go in a group of no less than 4 to 6 others and everyone stick together...even going to bathrooms in restaurants /gas stations ect..
Ditto, Ditto,,, and DITTO!!!!

#14 ·
I ride into the border towns 2 or 3 times a year usually without insurance. So far so good. I like the street food and the pharmacies. :) I usually pick Los Algodonnes if it is convienient, but that is because I have a good friend in Yuma.

#16 ·
Statistically the chance of being attacked or kidnapped when crossing into Mexico is so high now that even 3Flag rallies no longer actually cross the border into Mexico,, The SCMA 3 Flags rally is only recommending that the attendees ( me included) only meet up at Nogales at the fence line for a picture on the Arizona side rather than chance it by crossing the border

#17 ·
Statistically the chance of being attacked or kidnapped when crossing into Mexico is so high now that even 3Flag rallies no longer actually cross the border into Mexico,, The SCMA 3 Flags rally is only recommending that the attendees ( me included) only meet up at Nogales at the fence line for a picture on the Arizona side rather than chance it by crossing the border
Nce that the 3Flags Ride is starting close to home (for me...), but Nogales isn't that great (from a vehicular crossing perspective) for timing.

They would have had no problem starting the ride in a place like Douglas or even out in the boonies at Lukeville.

It's all about perspective.

#18 ·
Getting into Mexico - no weapons, contraband, drugs etc., or you could end up in prison.

Getting into U.S. - no problem - just walk, crawl, climb or swim in, like everyone else, tell them you have kids here and get a free bus ride to almost anywhere.

#19 ·
Rather stick a fork in my eye.

Couldn't pay me enough.....unless I've ridden every good road in the U.S. already.

#21 ·
Not hearing much from you local AZ people....come on now, fess up. I know that a lot of you go to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco)...for the beach and fresh fish. During the summer, that beach might be a blessing.

(I was not thinking about riding the Wing).

#23 ·
Not hearing much from you local AZ people....come on now, fess up. I know that a lot of you go to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco)...for the beach and fresh fish. During the summer, that beach might be a blessing.

(I was not thinking about riding the Wing).
OK
Here we go again, I've been riding into Mexico many years.
Just did Baja agai this last year. In Nov entered in Mexicali rode to Cabo and back reentered the states at Los Algodones, Had a great time never felt in danger once. Have done Rocky Point many times only spot the hair on the back of neck raises is at the Sonoyta crossing some years I've even took the long way and ridden from Los Algodones to get to Rocky Point.
I would worry more about the border towns than main land MX.

Some will say I've been lucky maybe but I try to be aware of my surroundings follow my gut.

I've ridden a lot of MX both mainland and Baja and will continue.

There is 1 area I will not ride in again, Washington DC and I have ridden in 49 states on Gold Wing but that is the armpit of the nation.

#26 ·
I don't go but I know many Arizonans who have been going to various parts of Mexico for years. One guy goes fishing in the interior of Mexico with a small group regularly. Most of the others head to Rocky Point, some even own or have long term leased property there. I think their overall crime rate is lower than US but higher in some categories and the bigger border towns seem to get the bulk of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.