GL1800Riders Forums banner

Seat seams splitting

4K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  kwthom 
#1 ·
On my 2005 some of the seams have split recently on the seat. I suspect the bike was kept outside during its previous life...?

Any recommendations as to someone that can recover this seat at a reasonable price. I would like to get a custom seat but they are a bit too spendy for me at the moment... Thanks.

#2 ·
On my 2005 some of the seams have split recently on the seat. I suspect the bike was kept outside during its previous life...?

Any recommendations as to someone that can recover this seat at a reasonable price. I would like to get a custom seat but they are a bit too spendy for me at the moment... Thanks.
I just dr.erd up my seat with some new foam and I had a rip in one of the seams on the band near the top of riders lumbar. Typical spot for failure I guess. Wile doing the re-stuffing before I put the cover back on I used some of the spray glue (Foam fast) on the inside where the rip was and a piece of upholstery scrap I had from a dash recover I did a wile back. Nothing fancy just a leather-looking material backed scrap I am sure you could find. I contacted the two cloth to cloth side with the spray cement and it bonded great. Taking off the seat cover is not hard just time consuming getting all the staples out. Need a good stapler to staple back in. I foyu want I can post a picture or two.
SB

#4 ·
My OEM saddle (05) is in pretty bad shape; several seams split. Yes, the hot sun and then the hard frost from the 7 degree mornings did it... see I commute year round, and the bike is kept outside.

:eek:4:

Right now, I use electrical tape to cover the splits and keep things together/rain from getting in. If anyone has a CHEAP good condition 05 OEM seat, contact me!

#5 ·
Glenn,
I used these folks a few years ago to repair the seat on that PC 800 I had. The seat cover had a slight tear where the backrest went thru the vinyl, he removed the cover and fashioned a gusset around the opening to reinforce it. I think they charged me around 60 bucks for the repair.

Text Font

#6 ·
My '05 seat seam split, too. I bought a new factory seat from this board's sponsor HDL. Less $ than aftermarket seat.

#7 ·
Glenn,
I used these folks a few years ago to repair the seat on that PC 800 I had. The seat cover had a slight tear where the backrest went thru the vinyl, he removed the cover and fashioned a gusset around the opening to reinforce it. I think they charged me around 60 bucks for the repair.

View attachment 56469
Thanks Ron. This is the kind of response I was looking for...

#8 ·
Might soon be looking for a place like this here in Tucson. I just spotted a small area on mine just yesterday.

Sent from my teeny screen using my big fat fingers!

#11 ·

This is the seat I pmed you about. I was unable to pm you pictures for some reason.

There's a notch on the right side in front of the grab handle and I have no idea what it is.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Yeah I know yours is. Was asking the OP. Of course it could pertain to anyone looking. I think all the early silver and titanium bikes were brown
Thanks but mine is black also. Dark grey metallic might look a bit weird with a brown seat. I think Mike and I have a deal but thanks anyway.

#18 ·
I also need a new skin for my '05, can I get more info on where you got yours please?

#20 ·
Hello, I have a stock OEM seat from a 2009 GL-1800 that used for only 11,000 miles.
I am requesting $ 150.00 plus shipping. This seat is stored indoors in the clothes closet.
I am a GWRRA Life Mbr. 814.476.7157
If anyone is interested, pls call and leave msg if I am not there.
Thanks
Stan

#21 ·
we live on Vancouver Island, and went to our local boat cover company - they do all the interior upholstery for boats (therefore weather resistant) and they did an amazing job at a fraction of the cost of any other upholsterers. they even made custom cup holders for us. Good luck!

#24 ·
My comments might not help you in particular but might give others food for though. Plastic and fabrics weaken from long term exposure to sunlight and heat and contraction from temperature change. I have kept several bikes for over 15 years, and without fail, one way to make sure they stay as "new looking" as possible is to keep the vehicle covered at al all times when not in use with a quality, full sized bike cover. Also, it's important to store the bike over the winter months in a place that is heated and free of moisture. Plastics and machinery in general don't like extremes of heat and cold. Both of the above approaches assume the vehicle has been prepped properly for long term storage.

Some years ago, I sold my Yamaha Venture after 17 years of use and it looked as good as the day it came off the showroom floor. My 12 year old Wing also is showroom quality and with some care, it can stay that way.

#25 ·
[<eBay link...>
Had a line on one much closer for a little less than that...

Even though it shows as free shipping, at least $40 of that cost is shipping fees.

Thanks.

EDIT: Took my seat to P&L - on Stone, north of downtown Tucson.

Good job - no picture of it, but used a really heavy marine-grade cover that nearlymatches the seven year old, faded seat back.

Fits good, feels good - a couple hundred miles on it thus far, no issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.