Camper insurance?'s [Archive] - GL1800Riders

: Camper insurance?'s

10-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Ok, how do you insure a camper that is set up and not hooked to the bike? If it's hooked to the bike it sould be covered. But the idea of having a camper is ........camping.

10-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Ok, how do you insure a camper that is set up and not hooked to the bike? If it's hooked to the bike it sould be covered. But the idea of having a camper is ........camping.
Home owners will insure it.

10-15-2009, 01:13 PM
In most policies, when the trailer is hooked to the bike, your liability is covered under the policy on the bike. However, physical damage to the trailer is NOT covered unless you specifically purchase it. To cover the camper while not attached to the bike, you again would rely on the physical damage on the camper just like you would with any other camper trailer. The rate is usually determined based on the value of the camper.

Homeowners insurance would usually be relied upon to insure your personal property in the camper trailer. Personal property being clothes, camping specific gear, etc. Of course, deductibles apply the same as your homeowners policy. Personal property covered under the auto or motorcycle policy is extremely limited in most cases. Your states insurance rules and/or contract may vary.

10-15-2009, 05:24 PM
They are right about needed extra coverage for physical damage to your trailer. If connected to the bike, its liability only, unless otherwise specifically noted on your bikes policy. When I had a wreck several years ago pulling my Kwik Kamp, Dairyland would not cover the damage to the trailer. Only damage was to the tongue which was slightly torked/twisted when the bike fell over on its side. The trailer tongue kept the bike from really getting damaged. I never repaired the trailer and towed it probably another 10,000 miles before I sold it. The people who have it now are still towing it with no problems. Otherwise hopefully your homeowners policy will cover it. I later contacted my auto insurance company, Farmers, and added it to my policy there for a very small amount. I never had to use it after that and since sold it.

10-15-2009, 09:21 PM
I just insured mine for replacement value.

IR Harry
10-16-2009, 04:59 AM
I have mine on a separate policy, covers physical damage. Big deal at under $20 per year. Deductible is $100 for collision and for comprehensive. State Farm, because that's where the trike, houses, cars, and umbrella policy is located.

10-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll be contacting my insurance company.

10-21-2009, 08:51 PM
I got a Progressive RV policy (for pop-up camper). Only ~$100 a year and covers everything including trip insurance and full replacement cost.

10-23-2009, 03:04 PM
I just contacted my insurance agent this week. I have the bikes with Progressive. I added the camper for $81 per year. Small price for piece of mind. With its own policy the camper is also covered when we tow behind the car.

02-23-2010, 07:43 AM
i have a separate policy on my Aspen sentry from my auto agent (Farm Bureau - NC) it cost me 50$ a year or so. This covers any damage to the camper, such as wind, fire, theft, vandalism, etc.

02-23-2010, 09:23 AM
My Hannigan costs me $23 every six months and when I had my Kwik Kamp, it costs $23 per year. I had them insured for $3,500 each thru State Farm. While hooked to the bike, they're covered under my extended m/c coverage, while parked in the garage they're covered under my homeowners, but State Farm kicks in when they're unhooked & out of the garage. Like any insurance, it's a gamble and I'm willing to spend the little bit of extra money "just in case". My State Farm agent just needed to take a pic of each trailer (the Kwik Kamp set-up).