GL1800Riders Forums banner

Just moved to Phoenix

4K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  m45mcdan 
#1 ·
Hello to all here in Arizona, we just moved here from Washington state, except for the huge rain at the beginning of the month, all is well so far.

Looking forward to meeting some of you and riding some great roads around here.

Question ; I just received this recall notice concerning the rear brakes, and was wondering which Honda dealer, around Phoenix, would be a good one to get this completed from?

Thanks .. Appreciate the info .. Paul

#3 ·
Don't know what part of the valley you are in but I recommend Western Honda in Scottsdale as first choice for brake recall or any other work. I've also had decent service from North Valley Honda in Phoenix. D&D in Tempe is good but they are not a dealer so probably can't do the recall or warranty related work.

#5 ·
Welcome aboard! I just sold a house in WA (north of Spokane) so am now a permanent resident. I live in Wickenburg. North Valley is a small intimate dealer and closer to me I have purchased two rides from them and they treat me great. Labor rates much lower than the RideNow franchises. Good luck and lets RIDE! :doorag:

#6 ·
Welcome to Arizona. I'm in Mesa and ride a 2006 Titanium Wing. Yours looks about the same as mine.

#7 ·
+2 for Western Honda in Scottsdale. Not too far from you in Chandler, and easy to get to.

Welcome home. Now, get out and ride Hwy 191, aka The Coronado Trail / Hwy 666 / Devil's Highway, before snow makes it impossible to do so.

Hwy 60 east from Chandler to Safford, turn north towards Clifton-Morenci. Make sure to fill up on fuel.

Then go have 90 minutes of fun.

- David

#9 ·
Tortilla Flat

Once you get the recall taken care of, head east on the 60 to Apache Junction. (roughly 15+ miles)

Turn north onto Tomahawk Road. Go 2.5 - 3 miles.

Turn right onto the Apache Trail towards Canyon Lake. Start smiling...

As you depart Apache Junction, continue smiling.

As you start into the curves, forget about sightseeing. One moment's distraction and you may wind up down in the arroyo (deep ditch!)

Continue smiling as you pass by Canyon Lake.

Once you feel like it's safe to look around again, you will be at Tortilla Flat. Stop. Eat. Have some ice cream. Ponder buying Tortilla Flat.

Start smiling, because you are now headed back the way you came...

- David

#10 ·
East Valley spring time riding

I forgot to add one of the perks in living in the East Valley. Come spring, when you are riding either the 202 or main arterials in Mesa, the aroma of citrus blossoms will completely overtake your senses.

I always took the better part of a mid-week morning riding those east Valley roads.

Something to look forward to...

- David

#13 ·
I am thinking of doing the Coronado trail run sometime in the next couple weeks. I moved to AZ about a year and a half ago and lived here previously from 1996 through 2005. I will be leaving AZ again in a few months and would like to do this run before I go. Is anyone else going to be doing this in the near future? I live in the Desert Hills area of Phoenix.

#14 ·
basilfaulty: Better do it soon...weather should be spot-on perfect this weekend - hi temps in the 90s on the desert floors, should make it to the mid-to upper 60's up at the top of the hill.

#15 ·
kwthom: Unfortunately I wont be able to do it this week, my riding buddy cant go for a couple weeks. We are also looking for a few more bikes to go with us...always more fun with a few couples going. We plan on making it an over night trip. The cold doesn't bother me much, I am from Maryland and ride all year there. Don't ride in snow, but the cold doesn't bother me too much.

#16 ·
I was up to Happy Jack on Wed and the weather up there was outstanding. The lowest temperature that I found was 61 degrees and some of the trees were starting to turn to their Fall colors.
I took Marys Lake Road to Flagstaff then 89A into Sedona and on to Prescott. Took the twisties out of Prescott to Wickenberg and on home to Sun City. All in all it was a 425 mile trip and I enjoyed every mile. I spent the day today trying to get all the bugs off my bike that I killed in my adventure.
Now I'm ready for another trip to parts unknown.

#17 ·
Since you'll be doing an overnighter in conquering the Coronado Trail, aka Hwy 191, aka The Devil's Highway, consider the following route on day 2.

When you arrive in Eagar, head west on Highway 260 towards Show Low.

A mile or two west of Eagar (if that far), turn left (south) onto Hwy 261. This is a nice, recently re-paved highway which leads back to Big Lake, a major summer destination in chasing rainbow trout.

Highway 261 intersections with Highway 273. Turning left will take you to Big Lake, a goodly destination in itself. A few short miles and you'll arrive at Big Lake. Not sure if the concession store will be open or not, but still a cool place to visit, especially if the aspens are quaking with golden leaves.

Regardless, you'll need to take Highway 273 north to intersection with Highway 260 again.

Make sure you have additional batteries or you camera has a full charge, as I'm sure you'll be taking lots of fall pics with the competing greens, oranges, reds and yellows. Not to mention the broad meadows with long standing cabins at the tree line.

Highway 273 was re-paved several years ago and will give you smooth riding.

If you can, go mid-week to avoid the onslaught of weekend travelers, hunters, fall foliage hunters, etc.

Continue west towards Show Low, and then you can head south on Highway 60 towards Globe, hitting the Salt River Canyon, which is a fun, but short, twisty road. Once in Globe, turn right and stay on Highway 60 into Mesa.

Or, from Show Low, you can continue west on Highway 260 to Payson, passing through the center section of the biggest stand of Ponderosa Pine on the planet. Once in Payson, turn left onto Highway 87 (divided 4 lane) all the way to Mesa. If you get the chance, have lunch at Macky's, which is on the right side of the local movie theatre. (2nd stop light south of McD's or behind Chili's restaurant)

You'll have a great time on any of these roads, which you will repeat often.

- David

#18 ·
David, thats a great route that I've done many times (except for the lake) and it's a beautiful ride. As I said earlier, I normally stay at a motel in Alpine at the end of day 1.

#19 ·
Thanks, Matt. I've a lot of miles riding in the White Mountains and Rim Country, as living in Payson for over 30 years was a good home base for riding.

I'm now learning that by riding Alphabet Roads in Missouri, I am starting to appreciate these mere pathways as opposed to more modern roadways. Found a great conservation area in north central Missouri yesterday...I need to get another boat! Not to mention deer rifle...:lol:

- David

#20 ·
I'm now learning that by riding Alphabet Roads in Missouri, I am starting to appreciate these mere pathways as opposed to more modern roadways.
In Texas it is the FM (Farm to Market) and the RM (Ranch to Market) roads that are the best.

#21 ·
In case your interested The Goldwing Road Riders Association Chapter D will be having their monthly meeting Saturday December 13th at the Old Country Buffet, 6625 E. Southern, Mesa. A good organization, fun for all and would love to have you join us. Tell them Reggie sent you.

#22 ·
Once you get the recall taken care of, head east on the 60 to Apache Junction. (roughly 15+ miles)

Turn north onto Tomahawk Road. Go 2.5 - 3 miles.

Turn right onto the Apache Trail towards Canyon Lake. Start smiling...

As you depart Apache Junction, continue smiling.

As you start into the curves, forget about sightseeing. One moment's distraction and you may wind up down in the arroyo (deep ditch!)

Continue smiling as you pass by Canyon Lake.

Once you feel like it's safe to look around again, you will be at Tortilla Flat. Stop. Eat. Have some ice cream. Ponder buying Tortilla Flat.

Start smiling, because you are now headed back the way you came...

- David
Hey David,

That road is really worn these days and needs some serious attention. Just isn't any fun with the chip seal peeling away in every corner...beautiful ride for scenery though.

#24 ·
US-60 to Superior, then AZ-177 south...loop back on AZ-77 north back to US-60, then west toward civilization.

EDIT: We're doing a small regional ride in February to Death Valley - look in the Rides, Trips, Events section for more details.

#25 ·
If you have a chance on Saturday, come down to D&D Discount Motorcycle's Open House/Christmas Party. It's from 8:00 until I think 2:00. You will meet a lot of great people and a great shop to do work on your bike. It's at 617 S Mcclintock Dr, #5 in Tempe, AZ.

#26 ·
I agree the road to Tortilla Flats was pretty rough. I'm checking out some of the other suggestions though, so far pretty nice country to ride in ..
No doubt...lots of great roads or as I like to say "so many roads, so little time"...in my case anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.