GL1800Riders Forums banner

Snowbird Inbound...

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  m45mcdan 
#1 ·
Hi y'all... Thought I'd post a note here to say that I left NC this morning on my way out to spend the winter with you folks.

Got the Wing loaded in the back of my RV, and will be staying at a resort in Casa Grande. Not quite sure exactly when I'll arrive, as I'm in no particular hurry... but hoping the weather is a tad warmer than its getting to be back east.

Anyway, I'll be watching to see if there's anything going on, or any RTE events in the works. I know about the Death Valley ride in Feb, and may do that.

#2 ·
Well they got a few RV parks in Casa Grande, enjoy the weather get in some good riding.

#4 ·
No! Turn around! Really bad weather is predicted here for the next four months.
Seriously, the weather is pretty good right now. We had a few showers today but it will be fine in the morning for the parking lot practice. This time of year is the reason that I tolerate full time in the Valley of the Sun.
They say that you can tell when the snowbirds start to arrive here because the license plates begin to change colors. In the sun cities area the population doubles.
Welcome to Arizona and enjoy yourself with some great rides. Better get to the high country before it gets too cold up there.

#5 ·
No! Turn around! Really bad weather is predicted here for the next four months.
Seriously, the weather is pretty good right now. We had a few showers today but it will be fine in the morning for the parking lot practice. This time of year is the reason that I tolerate full time in the Valley of the Sun.
They say that you can tell when the snowbirds start to arrive here because the license plates begin to change colors. In the sun cities area the population doubles.
Welcome to Arizona and enjoy yourself with some great rides. Better get to the high country before it gets too cold up there.
Is that the GWRR practice at the dog track?

#6 ·
Is that the GWRR practice at the dog track?
It is a parking lot practice that a couple of GWRRA chapters put on. You don't have to be a member of the GWRRA. They put it on so everyone can improve on their slow speed maneuvering skills.
It is held at Turf Paradise and the session starts at 0800hrs.

#7 ·
Wisdom's Cafe

Make sure you ride to Tubac, south of Tucson and eat at Wisdom's Café (www.wisdomscafe.com). BUT, make sure to leave room for the house specialty desert, a deep-fried fruit tortilla. Then go back another day and get another deep-fried fruit tortilla. Repeat as often as your felt allows...

- David

#8 ·
It is a parking lot practice that a couple of GWRRA chapters put on. You don't have to be a member of the GWRRA. They put it on so everyone can improve on their slow speed maneuvering skills.
It is held at Turf Paradise and the session starts at 0800hrs.

Thanks, I've been to this a couple of times. It used to only be held on the first Sunday of the month that had a Saturday before it. Is it every week now?

#9 ·
They hold the practice once a month now. They had about 40 motorcycles on the range today. Lot's of Harleys, a couple of BMWs, my Pacific Coast, and a number of wings. I spent almost two hours on the range and really felt that I could control my bike better on the way home. Good stuff.

#10 ·
Well, I've arrived. Got in late Monday, and have already been on a ride today. Seems there's about 6-to-8 other riders here in the resort that have a weekly ride on Tuesdays. One of them saw me unloading my bike, and invited me along... so I managed to get in about 180 miles today. Not bad considering I just towed the RV over 2200 miles. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.