GL1800Riders Forums banner

Mt. Lemmon Ride ??

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Texas T 
#1 ·
I did a small Google search, but admit I didn't find much. Everyone keeps telling me I should ride up Mt. Lemmon before I leave AZ... but is there anything else there other than a slightly curvy road to the top?

Since the weather is getting warmer, I may ride over at some point in the next few days. It was a cool 57 degrees just south of Globe around 3PM today. Brrrrr... :)

#2 ·
Do it on a weekday...the road can be heavily patrolled, nice cafe at the top...and not much else.

Only one paved road up to the top...that's about it.

Sent from my teeny screen using my big fat fingers!

#3 ·
If you go ahead and ride to the top, make darn sure that you keep your eyes peeled for BLACK ICE where the road gets shaded later in the day after some of the snow melt drains onto the road.

I rode up to Summer Haven on Mother's Day (early May) a few years ago to buy my mom an artwork item. It was in the 80's in Tucson when I left, but was freezing and started to snow as I was starting back down.

Another time, my wife and my mom and I had lunch at a neat cafe at the foot of the ski lift a mile or so North of Summer Haven. The neat thing about it was dozens of Humming Birds flying around a dozen Humming Bird feeders that were hung from the roof overhang.

Another interesting mountain twisty ride quite a distance from Tucson is a visit to the observatories atop Kitt Peak.

gramps

#5 ·
Other road options

If you have the time, consider heading north to Sedona and ride Hwy 89A north to Flagstaff. A side benefit to this trip is to head northeast out of Cottonwood towards Sedona. You will be treated with a nice, LONG view of the beautiful red rocks of Sedona. Then you can take 89A t Flagstaff through Oak Creek Canyon.

Another option would be to take Hwy 60 east from Globe to Thatcher, turn left (north) onto Hwy 191 towards Clifton/Morenci. Once there, FILL UP! Continue north on Hwy 191 and for the next 90 miles, enjoy a buffet of twists, turns, switchbacks, accompanied with sheer loneliness on your travels. But, have a hearty breakfast before you go as this road will definitely eat up all your energy as you lean and wean your way along this maddening road which puts The Dragon to shame.

- David

#6 ·
I did a small Google search, but admit I didn't find much. Everyone keeps telling me I should ride up Mt. Lemmon before I leave AZ... but is there anything else there other than a slightly curvy road to the top?

Since the weather is getting warmer, I may ride over at some point in the next few days. It was a cool 57 degrees just south of Globe around 3PM today. Brrrrr... :)
If you like good, spicy Mexican food (is there any other kind???), then by all means return to Mammoth (south of Globe on Hwy 77) and have a hearty lunch at La Casita. Or Chalo's in Globe. You won't be saddened if you like full bodied stuff!

Also, head south towards Tubac (south of Tucson) and grab anything off the menus at The Wisdom Café. http://www.wisdomscafe.com/ But by all means, leave room for the house desert specialty...deep fried fruit burritos!! I personally like the apple burritos, I may have to make a special trip from Globe in May...

Imagine a deep fried burrito packed extra full with cinnamon based apple filling, then quickly rolled in confectioners sugar afterwards. By itself it is a complete meal! In fact, I'll go straight for the jugular...I TRIPLE DOG DARE YA!!

Have a nice day...

- David

#8 ·
I enjoy Mt. Lemmon in the summer, but if I was planning a day ride now to the Tucson area, I would take I-10 south from Casa Grande and take the Speedway exit but head west. That is Gates Pass Rd. At the end turn left and head south again to the Ajo Rd and continue to Kitt Peak. Take the tour of the scopes if you like or head back down. From there head back east and choose from several options. Ride to Sasabe and take a look at the most expensive (virtually)unused border crossing in America. From there take the road to Arivaca and have lunch at the outdoor stand for good Mexican food. The place looks like some old adobe ruins which it is. From there take a very fun road to Amado, beautiful scenery and great road. From there you can visit Tumacacori, or the Titan Missile site. Great tour at the missile site and lots of cold war history and data. Now you will need to get an early start for this ride, but at the end of the day you will say....."Now that was one hell of a day!" :)

#9 ·
I enjoy Mt. Lemmon in the summer, but if I was planning a day ride now to the Tucson area, I would take I-10 south from Casa Grande and take the Speedway exit but head west. That is Gates Pass Rd. At the end turn left and head south again to the Ajo Rd and continue to Kitt Peak. Take the tour of the scopes if you like or head back down. From there head back east and choose from several options. Ride to Sasabe and take a look at the most expensive (virtually)unused border crossing in America. From there take the road to Arivaca and have lunch at the outdoor stand for good Mexican food. The place looks like some old adobe ruins which it is. From there take a very fun road to Amado, beautiful scenery and great road. From there you can visit Tumacacori, or the Titan Missile site. Great tour at the missile site and lots of cold war history and data. Now you will need to get an early start for this ride, but at the end of the day you will say....."Now that was one hell of a day!" :)
That is a fun route and great riding day.

#10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've already done Kitt Peak twice, and also been out to Organ Pipe & the '****** Pass' crossing... so most of the southern stuff has been covered. The route out to the Titan site looks interesting, and I might do that before I leave also.

But I think I'm gonna plan on riding up Lemmon on Wednesday. Maybe leave here around 10:30, have lunch somewhere in Tucson, and then ride up & back during the warmest part of the day.

If anyone wants to meet up and ride with, let me know.

#11 ·
But I think I'm gonna plan on riding up Lemmon on Wednesday. Maybe leave here around 10:30, have lunch somewhere in Tucson, and then ride up & back during the warmest part of the day.
When you reach the ski lodge / restaurant you can continue on up the bumpy single lane road which will twist and turn and bring you up to a dirt parking lot at the crest of the mountain. It is a very short walk (100 yards?) to the top of the ski lift area. If the skies are clear you'll get a great view of Tucson.

It obviously wasn't very clear this day. :oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.