GL1800Riders Forums banner

Grand canyon tirp

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Texas T 
#1 ·
Heading to the Grand Canyon last of June what route or roads are best to take to get the best view of the Canyon or other must see in the area

Thanks
Snoopy

#2 ·
A short answer; longer if required a bit later - soon have to get my Saturday started

You have exactly two to choose from...if you're headed to the South Rim of the Canyon.

AZ-64 or US-180 north out of Flag to AZ-64, then north to the Grand Canyon Village.

Several million people a year means there's tens of thousands to deal with daily...

Another alternative route to the south rim, US-89 north out of Flag to AZ-64, then west...

This gives you the opportunity to run by Sunset Crater Nat'l Monument as well. Most people will spend half a day seeing the sights, but lamenting the traffic and the hmanity gathered.
I'll tack on some images to this thread a bit later.

#4 ·
thanks what is the best the South or North rim or should we plan on both
You probably won't get lodging on short notice at either the South Rim or the North Rim. The wait time to stay at the North Rim is measured in months...

I've been to both on the same day (a very long day in the saddle...) and the North Rim is ~1000 ft higher in elevation; the views are much different, the crowds are much, much smaller. At the North Rim, you're 50 to 80 miles from any major civilization when you're at the rim, so plan accordingly. I'ts a little over 4 hours (and ~200 miles...) from the north to the south rim.

On the South Rim, as mentioned before, up to a half million visit the park monthly in the summer. Over 100,000 on some days.

If you're up to it, and you can get tickets this close to when you want to be there...park the bike in Williams, AZ and take the train http://www.thetrain.com/ and enjoy the way many made the trip to the South Rim.

If this is your first time, go to the South Rim. Unless you plan a lot of hiking and wandering around, you'll get your fill in about one or two days.

#5 ·
We have been to both North and South on multiple occasions. The Canyon is one of my favorite places to visit and every spring, summer and fall I make a day ride from Phoenix to the South rim. Something about the place keeps drawing me back...we also do overnighters up there as I really enjoy early morning and evening photo ops...staying just outside the park in Tusayan where you can also access all of the airplane and helicopter tours. Unless your plans include continuing on up the Page Az, Zion NP or Bryce Canyon NP and the amazing roads in Southern Utah I suggest the So. Rim for your canyon fix.

#6 ·
Either side of the "Ditch" is good, but I prefer the North Rim.....a lot less crowded. If you get there in the morning, ask at the Lodge for any room cancellations. It happens often enough, so you may be able to score a room last minute. If you do get a room, make sure you get reservations in the restaurant as they fill up quickly. Sunset on the deck is spectacular. If not, there are several hotels in Kanab (80 miles north).

#7 ·
I also have been to both and prefer the North Rim. But the South Rim is more popular to be sure. Just be advised, the South Rim in addition to LOTS of tourists is very HOT in summer. My preference is spring or fall but each to their own. Enjoy the fantastic views!

#9 ·
I second the option of Hwy 89 northeast out of Flagstaff, then west on Hwy 64 just south of Cameron, AZ. I prefer this route as it is less traveled and wide open scenery. From the south on Hwy 64/180, it is a slow rolling parking lot with semi's, motorhomes, campers, tour buses, etc etc etc.

Another option since you're coming in from the east, take I-10 west until you hit Lordsburg, NM. Take Hwy 70 west towards Duncan, AZ, then split off northwest on Hwy 75 towards Three Way, turning right (north) to Clifton/Morenci. Make sure to fuel your beast up before leaving these mining communities!

Take Hwy 191 north to Alpine (88 miles, 3 hours, fuel up again), then either stay in Alpine for the night or continue north to I-40, or head west on Hwy 60 to Eagar-Springerville Pinetop-Lakeside, or Show Low if the light is fading. From any of these communities, you can easily head north to I-40 then west into Flagstaff, or take any of the Indian Highways north of I-40 towards Cameron, AZ, which is northeast of Flagstaff.

If you've ridden the Dragon, then you understand it's hype and allure. But after riding the Coronado Trail, aka Hwy 191, aka the Devil's Highway aka Hwy 666, then you'll understand why this little twisty road puts the Dragon to shame. But be warned, it'll definitely put a strain on your mental awareness due to the technicalities in riding this under rated two-laner in the middle of nowhere.

Following is a video pulled off the internet, 9 minutes in length. It is an average depiction of riding most of the 88 miles, which holds so many curves and twisties, it is nearly impossible to maintain an accurate count. I wasn't impressed with the riders driving behavior, but when taking on this roadway and trying to ogle the scenery, it is easy to get lost in your own lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PcCs7a6P_k

- David

#10 ·
I wasn't impressed with the riders driving behavior, but when taking on this roadway and trying to ogle the scenery, it is easy to get lost in your own lane.
David, I only watched a couple minutes of that, but if you are referring to him being close to, or over the yellow line, that may not have actually been the case. When I rode with my wide-angle-lens GoPro mounted to the left side of the Wing it would also give you the impression that I was on or over the yellow line.

#12 ·
There's one shot in here in which I may have hit the double yellow, but if the nose of the bike wasn't visible in the lower right hand corner you'd think that I was over the line or crowding it much of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.