GL1800Riders Forums banner

Gold Canyon Ideas

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Funone46 
#1 ·
I have a couple of friends headed to Gold Canyon, Az in a couple of weeks. Wondering if there is any good day rides out of Gold Canyon?
Thanks

#2 ·
They *do* realize the overnight low temps might be over 80 degress this time of year, right?

Bike or car?

East on US-60, take AZ-177 to Winkleman; left on AZ-77 to Globe, AZ, then continue west toward home base.

Tortilla Flat isn't too far away, but a lot of dumb-a$$ can happen on that road.

Head north from Apache Junction on AZ-87, ride all the way to Payson...

There are lots of others, but if they're on two-wheels and not used to this heat. :shock:

#3 ·
They *do* realize the overnight low temps might be over 80 degress this time of year, right?

Bike or car?

East on US-60, take AZ-177 to Winkleman; left on AZ-77 to Globe, AZ, then continue west toward home base.

Tortilla Flat isn't too far away, but a lot of dumb-a$$ can happen on that road.

Head north from Apache Junction on AZ-87, ride all the way to Payson...

There are lots of others, but if they're on two-wheels and not used to this heat. :shock:
One of them live there and the other one is his Dad looking at property
Heat could be a factor. Thanks will let them know They are riding bikes, and I think only a couple of days in Gold Canyon then Dad needs to head home.

#4 ·
I live in Gold Canyon, at this time of year the only place to go during the day is up in elevation, which for me usually means towards Globe and beyond (we're only four miles from Florence Junction).

Be advised, however, that the state has just started a highway construction project on US60 near Superior-- and are advertising possible delays of up to an hour in both directions due to blasting operations. Any motorcyclist that gets caught up in that will end up at least lightly toasted.

I took my infrared thermometer gun out to the driveway today-- while the ambient air temp was "only" 108, the temperature of the concrete driveway was 156, and the temperature of the asphalt street in front of the house was 166.

OTOH, with less than 10% humidity, night rides are very pleasant-- even with after dark temps in the 80's.

#7 ·
I remember going through the Bad Lands in temps like that. Its like riding in a pizza oven. Hydration in key in the heat and rest sooner.
:thumbup:

Another tip from the desert rats who *do* ride this time of year...

Beat sunup by an hour...and get out of the rack! :mrgreen:

This morning, it was light at just after 0500. Had I *not* had other chores to get done outside at that time, it would have been a terrific three or four hour window to get in a reasonable ride.

We *could* turn this into a gear thread, but I will abstain at this time. :lol:

#10 ·
Under 90?

:wrong:
This time of year - yeah. there's this phenomenon called "global warming..." that you may have heard of...

:lol:

Need to root around in the riding closet tonight for my LDC cool sleeves for the ride home one afternoon this week.

#11 ·
:thumbup:

Another tip from the desert rats who *do* ride this time of year...

Beat sunup by an hour...and get out of the rack! :mrgreen:

This morning, it was light at just after 0500. Had I *not* had other chores to get done outside at that time, it would have been a terrific three or four hour window to get in a reasonable ride.

We *could* turn this into a gear thread, but I will abstain at this time. :lol:
Like you said. I do. Leave before sunrise and you can get a good breakfast ride in and get temps in the 60's on the Gobe ride. Either come back before noon or come back at sunset. Payson is good too. LIKE I TELL MY RIDING BUDS. YOU WANT TO RIDE WITH THE MEN YOU HAVE TO GET UP WITH THE MEN. B SAFE OUT THERE

#12 ·
<...>LIKE I TELL MY RIDING BUDS. YOU WANT TO RIDE WITH THE MEN YOU HAVE TO GET UP WITH THE MEN. <...>
:lol:

Nice...

:mrgreen: :clap2:

For the OP...

Now, as the monsoon season begins to really start ramping up, even more attention should be paid to the weather patterns that begin to set up. If there's a pretty active day, normally the next day is what we call a 'down' day for storm activity. Not to say it can't happen, but the chances are a bit lower. Maybe consider puttin the rain gear in the bike - y'know, just in case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.