GL1800Riders Forums banner

Brake Recall

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Rae 
#1 ·
I just made an appointment to get the recall done... They are scheduled out to January 13th at Western Honda. Josh in service told me that he's getting 40 calls a week..

#2 ·
Had the recall done on Wednesday. Also got a New tire while it was on the lift... Even though I was late they took care of me.. Every thing works as it should and I notice improved brake feel now..

#3 ·
Funny you should mention this just now. I just read your original post this morning and left it up as a reminder to get mine done. I called and booked it. Next open date, April 13th. Josh is trying to add a new tech to take some of the load off so they may move the schedule up. Glad it seemed to help. Did you notice if they did a complete bleed of the system, or is it something I should do before taking it in?

#5 ·
Funny you should mention this just now. I just read your original post this morning and left it up as a reminder to get mine done. I called and booked it. Next open date, April 13th. ...
Yep, same here. I called this morning, and got an April 14th date. Not sure I'll still be in the area then, but we'll see how it goes.

I don't take my bikes to dealers but I did with this recall. RideNow Powersports in Peoria did mine this week. I am happy to report that everything went well and the brakes never worked so well.
Maybe I have found a good dealer.
Interesting... I wonder if they are the same RideNow franchise that's up in Vegas, which is actually closer to me than Western in Scottsdale. Maybe I'll call up there to see if they can fit me in earlier.

#4 ·
I don't take my bikes to dealers but I did with this recall. RideNow Powersports in Peoria did mine this week. I am happy to report that everything went well and the brakes never worked so well.
Maybe I have found a good dealer.

#6 ·
I've been told that Ride Now is one big company. I haven't confirmed that, but I've been told a few horror stories about them.

#7 ·
I have my bike at GO AZ Motorcycles in Scottsdale. Called 12/24 , gave me appointment for the following week. I had the brake recall and some other work done and they had it ready in a couple of days. pick it up tomorrow. I had to leave it there due to weather and work. So far , good people to deal with.

#11 · (Edited)
A friend of mine took his trike and his two wheeler to Ride Now in Peoria. The two wheeler went OK, but they screwed up the trike. He used the cruise control going there and when he picked it up it no longer worked. When he got it home he called them and told them about it and all the service manager could tell him was that electrical issues could happen at any time. He got out his service manual and traced the circuit. He found the brake switch by the master cylinder that controls the brake lights and cruise control wasn't adjusted properly. They had this off to do the recall. He adjusted it and everything worked fine. He took the trike back to them and showed them what he did and they couldn't say anything. I guess they don't check their work. He did get a free oil change out of them as an apology.

Years ago I had Western Honda do my frame recall. When I got it back and went to leave, I almost rolled on to McDowell Rd. I didn't have any rear brakes. I had to pump them up to get them to work. Thank god there wasn't any thing that would have made the front tire lock up or I would have went down on McDowell. I guess they didn't check their work either.

The point I'm trying to make is to make sure you check everything before you take your bike off the lot.

#12 ·
A friend of mine took his trike and his two wheeler to Ride Now in Peoria. The two wheeler went OK, but they screwed up the trike. He used the cruise control going there and when he picked it up it no longer worked. When he got it home he called them and told them about it and all the service manager could tell him was that electrical issues could happen at any time. He got out his service manual and traced the circuit. He found the brake switch by the master cylinder that controls the brake lights and cruise control wasn't adjusted properly. They had this off to do the recall. He adjusted it and everything worked fine. He took the trike back to them and showed them what he did and they couldn't say anything. I guess they don't check their work. He did get a free oil change out of them as an apology.
The point I'm trying to make is to make sure you check everything before you take your bike off the lot.
Yes, yes, and double yes to the above. It's not much better in the automotive industry. I had to take my '05 Nissan into the dealer for a recall that caused the check engine light to come on. They called me to tell me it was finished and before I could get out of the parking lot it came on again. This happened 2 more times before they got it right. Got a recall notice from them about the airbag recall and they asked why I haven't brought it in for the work to be done. I told the service manager to pull my file and look at the last recall they did and told him I wouldn't let them work on my wheelbarrow. :surprise:

#13 ·
That seems to be the way it is in shops that pay their tecs flat rate. You are lucky to find someone who takes pride in what they do and does it right no matter what it pays. Sorry to say these people are hard to find. Working in a body shop for over 40 years I have seen my share of hacks. Ether they don't know or don't care or both. Ask any shop owner and they will tell you that talent is very hard to find.

#14 ·
I called North Valley Honda in Phoenix and got on their list to perform the recall! They will order the parts and call me and set up an appointment. They said it should be about 2 weeks. I purposely waited a bit so their techs would have some recalls under their belts! Now I just want to get it done prior to the 100+ degree days... Will keep you posted.

#16 ·
Dropping the bike off for a major check up this week, new tires and other assorted details including the recall. No problem getting it scheduled at all. Just waiting on the new Bushtec tires, tubes and bearing so that I can get those mounted up as well.

#17 ·
Well my brake recall is finished! Took my Wing in to North Valley Honda (North Phoenix) yesterday and had the surgery performed. North Valley is a small dealership and more like a family than a factory! Actually there were two Goldwings in at 9 AM for the recall; mine and a 2001.

All went well (cruise still works etc.) and bike brakes seemed fine on road back to Wickenburg! I am relieved it is finally complete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.