GL1800Riders Forums banner

Where to get a trailer weighed ??

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  biglefti 
#1 ·
Since I had this put together for a trip I was hoping to get the Trailer and Bike weighed to see how far off the estimate that I have in my head is.
Well I took it to a truck stop and put it on the scale and it was not heavy enough to register.
I'm figuring about 1,300 Lbs. Can anyone point me towards a place that can get it done?

See less See more
#2 ·
Scrapyard /recycling facilty would have a smaller scale if one is somewhat close by .

#7 ·
I was thinking the same thing but I recently took a load of stuff to the yard and they said my out going weight was about 500 lbs less than ingoing weight. In other words 500 lbs of scrap. I loaded and unloaded it and doubt there was more than 150 lbs.

In other words the scales are not that accurate and I think it also depends on where you pull up on the scale as I may have not been in the same spot leaving as coming.

Why are you concern with the weight. Is it because of your hitch or vehicle capacity or are you just anal like me and just want to know.?

#4 ·
Contact DPS, speak with their Commercial Vehicle Division, as they have portable scales for field use. Some DPS officer's are Commercial Vehicle inspectors, and have portable scales in their cars. During my time with Payson PD, one of our officer's received his certification as a Commercial Vehicle inspector, but never had a set of portable scales issued to him. You may also wish to contact your local law enforcement agency to ascertain whether or not their officers/deputies are CV inspectors.

But then again, Rail's idea is pretty good as well.

#8 ·
The Scale that would not register the weight was a CAT scale.

My concern with the weight is that I don't know what it is, only what I think it is..

#10 ·
I am willing to wager its higher than you think. Your trailer weighed 450 lbs according to manufacture .I am thinking your bike and trailer wet weight is closer to the 1500lb mark. If saddle bags are empty . Grain elevators is one I never thought of ,great idea.

#9 ·
Anybody building race cars nearby? If so, they should have scales to balance the car weights.

#11 ·
Most businesses that sell retail stone products - crushed stone, river stone etc have scales. They weigh you before and after loading your truck or trailer.

#17 ·
You could also take it out to the landfill. They have some pretty good scales.Of course you'll have to leave the bike and trailer there as junk. :) I think they might let you weigh it there, but you might call. Lots of farm land in the Buckeye area, might locate some farm scales there. I think the DPS would be your best bet if you want a real accurate weight.

Reactions: david vaughn
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.