GL1800Riders Forums banner

Road oil removal

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  CAWing78 
#1 ·
The wife and I rode 191 down from Eager Monday and ran thru a couple of miles of "fresh oil!" By the time we got back to her sisters north of Carefree Hwy it was baked on?! Any advice for removal? I've used up all the bug and tar removal I had?.
Great road by the way!

#2 ·
Three things will work, some easier than others. One item which you probably already have is WD-40. Spray it on, go have a cup of coffee and come back - maybe spray a bit more one and wipe off. Other is mineral spirits - won't hurt the paint, softens and removes the oil and tar. Last item is the bug and tar remover you can buy at the auto parts places.

The above is ranked in order of pricing and availability. I personally use mineral spirits, cleans well and doesn't leave an oily film that I then have to clean off, but I also have a gallon can that I use on other projects in the shop.

I have heard of people using oven cleaner - but I personally haven't tried it and can't vouch for it.

#4 ·
kerosene/paint thinner charcoal lighter fluid whichever cheaper put in spray bottle n soak n wait about 15 minutes. bike wont rust now -at least the kury stuff :surprise::wink2:

#5 ·
Found a Home Depot and got some mineral spirits. Got most of it off. I'll give it a thorough cleaning when we get home.
Thanks for the responses!

#6 ·
This reminded me of the time I rode my old 57 Panhead Chopper to the North Rim over 67 miles of freshly oil road. No front fender and the oil covered the front cylinder barrel, as well as the frame down tubes. I used three cans of ..........****, I forgot what it was..............oh yeah, I remember now, it was Gunk engine cleaner. I think they still sell it, but the formula was changed to meet environmental requirements and it isn't worth squat any more. I know this doesn't help you, but at least an old memory in my worn out brain was brought to the surface. BTW, I spent three hours with a toothbrush, and Gunk getting that oily tar out of all of the barrel fins on that bike.

#7 ·
On my VTX, I used EZ-Off Oven Cleaner. First try was only so, so. Second time around - on hot pipes - worked like a charm. Not sure about plastics and paint so test that in an out of the way place first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.