Ridin' over for this year. [Archive] - GL1800Riders

: Ridin' over for this year.

Redneck Okie
10-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Looks like my riding is over for this year. Earlier this week, I had back surgery, had a ruptured disc, some "fragments" floating around in there, and some "spurs" removed, now the pain and numbness in my right hip and leg are gone, just need the "procedure site" to heal up. Doc says I'll be out of commission for 6 to 8 weeks, maybe a bit of light physical therapy along the way. Originally thought this was another kidney stone, but the symptoms were just not right, went to the dr, had MRI done, found all this wrong, hopefully it'll all be fixed when I've recovered!
Note to self, (or anyone else)-When going through the MRI experience, don't lay there and start thinking to yourself, "This must be what it'd be like to be buried alive in a coffin".

jcarr
10-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Okie I opened your post expecting a sob story about its getting to cold and etc. I'm sorry to hear of your back troubles, if there is anything I can do to help you out, shout I'm only a short ride away and willing to come help a fellow rider in time of need. Just drop a PM if needed!

Redneck Okie
10-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks jcarr. I don't know that I've ever been this bored! My doc says not to do anything, no lifting over 5 lbs, no bending over except to put on shoes, he says I can go for short walks on level ground, (so the wife thinks it's a good thing to go shopping with her), he also said I can cook and do dishes, (told him I just had to revoke his "man card" for that stupid remark) made in front of my wife by the way! The pain returned to my right hip so I've been on a steroid pak for two days, can't believe the difference that made, pain free again after 1 day taking it, doc says the pain returning is the result of some inflamation at surgery site. I'll be glad when this is behind me, but it does look like riding season will be over before the doc releases me to ride again.
All this started 5 days after getting a new set of tires put on the bike and 2 weeks before we'd planned a trip to go see some of Kentucky & Tennessee. If not for this, we wouldn't be home right now! Oh well, I guess there's next year.