GL1800Riders Forums banner

Hwy 191

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Boodad 
#1 ·
Needing to get out of the heat for a couple of days, I rode to Clifton/Morenci and ran 191 to Alpine. The road is in great condition with only 1 noticeable exception. About 14-15 miles out of Morenci watch out for gravel in the northbound lane in several of the curves. 8.5 on the sphincter factor if you're leaned over hard! The rest of the ride was all good! I started to explore the Big Lake road west of Alpine but intermittent showers and close-by lightning strikes turned me around. That road looked very promising but will have to wait for another time. FYI...Repaving on US 60 west of Show Low makes for some long delays!

#5 ·
I just did the same trip, over to Morenci then up the Coronado trail. And you are right about the mess of road construction on 60 near Superior. What a pain. Made for a long day. I'm in north Peoria so it takes me over an hour just to get to Apache Junction. The ride up the trail was tougher because my old bones were already tired by the time I started up. But it sure is beautiful country, especially the upper third of the ride. We spent the night in Alpine then rode the Big Lake route back to Show Low then down the hill to the valley. A view from the Blue Vista scenic overlook.

Attachments

#7 ·
Rode US 191 on back to back weekends in the fall '16. My favorite way is going south from Alpine to Morenci because going down that mountain lends itself to some incredible vistas. The road had nary of tar snakes so it was in excellent condition. As with any mountain road, be careful of loose gravel, especially in those wicked slow hairpins.
Boodad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.