GL1800Riders Forums banner

Arizona's Newest State Park

879 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Leeswinginit 
#1 ·
The Granite Mountain Hotshots Memorial State Park is now open. For those of you who ride Yarnell Hill, you've seen the construction on the downhill side. It is now open. there is no entry fee and donations are accepted. It is dedicated to the Granite Mountain Hotshot firefighters who died in 2013 fighting the fires near Yarnell. 19 of a 20 man crew died up there. The state park is basically a parking area off the side of the road with a few pictorials about the firefighters. There is a 3.5 mile trail that leads up and over the mountain to the site where they died with trail markers along the way with tributes to each firefighter. Unfortunately, I'm no longer in shape for a 7 mile uphill hike, maybe someday I'll get back to that but probably not. Here are a couple of pictures from the park. Worth a stop when you are in that area. Sobering and sad.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
My wife and I rode thru there June of '14 on our way from San Diego to Prescott. We Had heard of the tragedy but did not realize this was the spot until we saw the memorials along the way. Riding thru where the fire was, we wondered how anyone can fight fires in those mountainous conditions. You have to have the highest respect for the Firefighters and all Firefighters no matter where they are, willing to go into those conditions to fight fires and protect us all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.