Picking up a BMW 1200 LT tonight
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Picking up a BMW 1200 LT tonight

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Picking up a BMW 1200 LT tonight

Okay, so it's not to keep...

As part of my "installing dealer" arrangement with www.twowheelradio.com, I've been trying to coordinate schedules with the guy who owns this bike to install an XM radio for him.

As a paramedic, he's on a 3-day rotation where he won't be leaving the firehouse, so I "agreed" to go pick up his bike, bring it home, do the installation and then return it for him tomorrow. WHAT SERVICE!!

Does anyone know how to disconnect the odometer so I can put it through its' paces?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jon - didn't you see the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Rent that and you'll have the answer. Just don't kick the jack....

Now don't be coming back here and be a big BMW fan....but have fun.

hehe

DaleC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Picking up a BMW 1200 LT tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    As a paramedic, he's on a 3-day rotation where he won't be leaving the firehouse, so I "agreed" to go pick up his bike, bring it home, do the installation and then return it for him tomorrow. WHAT SERVICE!!
    Pressure is on now.

Good luck hope the install goes smoooothly

It would take a while to run the miles off the bike like Ferris did! I think the reverse on the wing is about 2 mph??? Maybe the reverse on the beemer is faster than the wing. Pretty sure it's not faster in the forward gears though.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jon

Let me know how you like th LT as compared to yer Wing if ya don't mind.
    Ride,Eat,Sleep,Repeat

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jon

Quote Originally Posted by ron melton
    Let me know how you like th LT as compared to yer Wing if ya don't mind.
    OK, keep in mind that I've only got less than an hour on it on the long way home, but I was quite surprised at the differences that I noticed already:
    • The engine is no where near as responsive and it has considerably less low-end torque. I know that should've been pretty obvious before I even hit the key, but it was a big shock to me. I've been spoiled, I guess. Advantage: Honda

I was initially surprised at the amount of wind noise I was getting, even at 30-40 mph speeds. My Symax was whistling when I had the shield cracked open and that was a first. As I got up to some higher speeds, it was significant. Then I hit the electric windshield adjuster and it all went away Advantage: BMW

I like the handlebar controls better on the Wing - I needed to remove my left hand to adjust the radio volume or channel. Advantage: Honda

The Audio system - hands-down WAY BETTER on the BMW. The radio was displaying the frequency, call letters and the name of the programming or type of music on that particular channel. (I don't know if that was programmed by the owner, or if it's just a very smart radio) The channel "seek" function on the handlebar steps through all of the preset channels - much more functional, in my opinion. One thing that amazed me was that the automatic volume control really and noticably worked, and that was without helmet speakers, just the bike speakers. I had turned the radio up to compensate for the wind noise once I got comfortable with the bike and as I was coming to a stop made a note to myself that I should remember to turn it down a bit once I got stopped. No need, it turned down by itself to a very manageable level and it picked right back up again after the light. In addition, there is a cassette player hidden in the hump, as well the controls for the VOX intercom system, a selector for the CB/FRS transmit button and a slick little place for a Midland handheld CB radio as well. Advantage: BMW

I can't make a judgement on the seat with only a short time in the saddle, but the leg position is about the same (knees at an angle) and I didn't see anywhere to add or mount any highway pegs. My wife noticed that the back seat looked considerably smaller, had no lumbar support and there was no armrests at all.

Luggage: The side bags on the BMW are very small, and the right bag has a 6-disc CD changer taking up a large portion of it. I don't think that I could fit both of my flip-front Symax's in the trunk, but I'll try it later. My initial reaction is that the wing has much more cargo capacity. I did notice that the luggage rack on the BMW was rated for 22 lbs. Advantage: Honda

As I said, I don't have enough saddle time to fairly compare the two, but just off the cuff, I don't think I'd be trading straight across if I were to buy the K12 LT. There are some nice features (heated grips, seat, electric windshield, a functional audio system, heated clothing connectors) but I don't think they swing the balance towards the BMW. This bike has 5775 miles on it and the back brakes are noisy and pulse, feeling almost like a warped rotor. I may take a look at that tomorrow after I finish his radio installation.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it doesn't sound like you'll be trading your Wing for a Light Truck in the near future, at any rate!
    --
    Lewis
    Candy Red 03 ABS
    07 FJR1300

My favorite accessory is GASOLINE!

Post Thanks / Like

Jon ,hows the low speed handling on the it?
    Mick :yw1:

01Yellow ABS,and a Unigo trailer ,2009 DN-01,won at the Ride For Kids,Everett WA,Please support the RIDE FOR KIDS

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jon

I don`t think you mentioned, whether or not this was a 2004 model This would make a difference, performance wise, wouldn`t it ?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mick
    Jon ,hows the low speed handling on the it?
    Mick :yw1:
    Well, I didn't take it to the MSF course and do the cone weave, but it didn't feel too bad. Maybe that was because I had a pre-conceived notion that it has a much higher center of gravity? I had to do two tight manuevers last night: a low-speed U-turn on Hwy. 99 after I missed the driveway into Black Angus and again while negotiating the parking lot. Both times, the bike felt relatively manuverable and didn't give me any problems.

I don`t think you mentioned, whether or not this was a 2004 model This would make a difference, performance wise, wouldn`t it ?
    This model is a 2002, just like mine (but with 15,000 fewer miles).

I do like how the seat is split in two pieces and the front piece pivots up with no tools needed. (They have to have this to access the battery, fuses and the suspension pre-load manual-adjuster) The saddlebags have a very robust locking mechanism - no stuck doors or weak cable release assemblies here!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The electrical system on this bike sucks. The fuse boxes aren't labeled, and in doing some research I found out the the wire coloring between bikes is not common either.

In addition, there is no "Acc" power terminal readily available, so adding accessories is slightly more difficult.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jon

Thanks Bro!
    Ride,Eat,Sleep,Repeat

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Before I bought my GL, I rode and looked at the LT. Nice bike and it does have some outstanding features like the audio system, heated grips and seat and the electric windshield is just wonderful.

The bike seemed too tall for my 30" inseam, maintenance was high, engine preformance not great and the closest dealer was a long way from my house. I had to pass 6 Honda dealers to get to it. Bought the wing and never looked back.
    2003 Candy Red ABS
    Bushtec Turbo 2+2

Contributing Member Stormin Norman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I own both , GL1800 and K1200LT, and Honda wins hands down. Love my GL1800.

PS. Anyone in the market for a K1200LT, I'll sell it.
    Stormin Norm

Riding and Love it

Post Thanks / Like

Default K1200LT Ride

Jon, I was invited for a test ride this past Saturday ďhow they got my name and address is beyond meĒ on the new 2005 BMW K1200LT for about 30 miles just to see what the entire hoop holler was about with this yearís model. They did improve the low speed handling by lowering the rake as well as the steering issues in the past; Looking under the triple tree I noticed what look to be some kind of steering damper that I didnít notice on later models. Honda could have installed something like this to help reduce some of the front end wobble as the BWM handled a lot better because of this. The sound system did sound better. Honda is lacking in this area, wasn't able to use the CB or Intercom system to compare the two.

Storage space of the two goes to Honda even if you didnít get the optional CD player.

As for the power of the 1200 claiming to be 116 hp, according to the sales rep it is rated at the crank, had to down shift just to pass another vehicle. The GL1800 wins this one hands down.

Conclusion: Iíll keep my GL1800.
    Steve Chamberlain
    Dark Side #1243

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: K1200LT Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter
    ... As for the power of the 1200 claiming to be 116 hp, according to the sales rep it is rated at the crank, had to down shift just to pass another vehicle. The GL1800 wins this one hands down.

Conclusion: Iíll keep my GL1800.
    That's one thing I forgot to mention - I found myself having to downshift to pass for the first time since riding my brother-in-law's HD ElectraGlide.

The power (at least on the 2002 model) just wasn't there, and it cruised at about 3K rpm. The on-board trip computer did tell me that at that speed, I was getting just under 50 MPG.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention; The test bike was their base bike, sales rep stated they don't offer 3 different models like they had in the past. He would have sold it to me for little over $18,500 and some change. To add the CB, rider to passenger communication with wiring, passenger adjustable floor boards, the new comfort seat, luggage rack, foldout driver highway bars, and the new Garmin touch screen GPS would add additional $3500 to $5000 to the sticker price pushing this mother in upper $25,00 range then add tax and title and other related fees. NO WAY
    Steve Chamberlain
    Dark Side #1243

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I rode a KLT 2003 last year approximately 1400 miles from Montreal to Nova Scotia. Could not take the short cut throught the states.

THe reviews here are accurate. I would only trade to a KLT 1200 if Honda quit making the GL1800 or similiar model..

Americade Country - Pottersville, NY
    518-494-7062

NY, Woodbourne, Home of "Shin-Grips" & Board Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Jon,

I did not know, that you picked up and delivered customers bikes when you do installs.

Give me call and let's schedule mine....LOL

Bulldog

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    Jon,

I did not know, that you picked up and delivered customers bikes when you do installs.

Give me call and let's schedule mine....LOL

Bulldog
    I even washed it for him! It was filthy, and he rides 200 miles RT to get to work and back.

I just checked my calendar, how does May 29th through June 11th work for you?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jon,

I can think of a few things that I need done to mine..........when you coming to Oklahoma to get mine ??????
    Steve

Oklahoma

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SL_1800
    Hey Jon,

I can think of a few things that I need done to mine..........when you coming to Oklahoma to get mine ??????
    Well Steve, I don't have any trips planned to Oklahoma, but I will be in NY in June (are you going to Americade?) and California later this summer...

How much is a Seattle to Oklahoma flight? Have tools, will travel

NY, Woodbourne, Home of "Shin-Grips" & Board Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess we are close enough to Americade to make a little noise.

Jon is arriving at my residence on May 29th and will be our guest through the end of Americade. The purpose of Jon's visit (other than social), is to allow time for a bunch of installs on other folks bikes (as well as mine).

The installs will be done in my little humble garage. Jon will have full use of it as well the Lift.

Lewis from EC will be coming here a few days prior to Americade as well for the same purpose (as well as social stuff).

I will be making a full post of what our plans are going to be.

In the mean time, if anybody is interested in purchasing items and have them installed on their bikes by the "Experts", I would suggest that you contact either JON or LEWIS and let them know what is on your mind.

Only thing that I get out of all of this is the pleasure of JON & Lewis' company. And possibly get to meet a few folks that we have yet to meet.

Now if I could just talk Jon Jambor into stopping by....LOL

A Win Win for me!

Bulldog

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.