Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1/4 Mile Drag Strip Pointers

Post Thanks / Like

Practice cutting lights.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/nhraxtreesp.html

Avoid deep staging when starting out.

our products available from Cyclemax, Direct Line Parts & Wing Stuff

>>>EC @ Facebook<<<

click the happy little link above for new product info, mediocre motorcycle news, funny pictures and updates from Nacho the Shop Cat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

The simple way to keep a Wing from doing a wheele while at the dragstrip is to do it like the guys who race drag bikes all the time, LEAN forward even to the point of your helmet contacting the windshield.

To get the maximum launch, don't ease in the throttle as suggested, as the tree counts down bring your revs up to about 5500-6000, then at the last yellow dump the clutch, shift not at your optimal street shift points, but as you near redline. The way I look at it, the engine was designed to run up to redline, so as long as you're not busting the redline limit all the time, dragging shouldn't put any more stress on the engine than towing a trailer would. For those of you worried about wear on your clutch, remember, it's a wet clutch, if the torque is too much for the clutch is will slip some, but not really wear all that much due to the oil immersion.

Have at it but be safe!

A day at the strip is a great time and a lot of fun for a chapter!

Richard Fischer
    Ride Coodinator
    GWRRA Chapter IL-G2
    2008 Victory Vision Tour Premium, purchased new 4/5/2008
    2003 GL1800 in Candy Red, "No Illusion", new 7/11/02, sold 4/2008, w/ 86,000 miles

Post Thanks / Like

Others here have already covered all the bases so I wont go into them other than to say, Make sure you line your bike up straight down the track before you get to the staging lights. Line it up, then roll forward slowly until you light the "Pre-stage" light. Stop and get yourself comfortable in your seat and on the bars, then inch it forward until you just light the "staged" light. Bring up the R's and get ready for a whole lotta fun!!

Best I ever ran on my 84 Ninja 900 was 10.92 seconds, haven't run the wing and probably wont (only because it is addictive!)

Paul H.
    '02 Pearl Yellow being ridden IN retirement!
    Gone to the darkside, #1062

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

FUSE,

If you have never been on the starting line of a drag strip then do yourself a favor and listen to what some of the others here have said about not bringing the revs up too high and dumping the clutch. At some tracks that use traction compound your shoes will stick to the track as you walk up there, so if you think you are going to get the rear wheel to spin off the line you may be in for a shock when the front wheel is up over your head. My dragster which has 16" wide slicks, leaves the starting line real hard and gets to 60' in .990 to 1.000 second and lifts the front wheels and barely spins the rear tires because of the amount of traction compound at the line.

Also, don't line up directly in the middle of the track, there is better traction in the path of tire tracks from four wheel vehicles.

Now I'm all for people doing whatever they want to do, and it wouldn't bother me if someone bought a wing and rode it off a cliff if thats what they like doing, but I personally wouldn't take a wing to the drag strip, I would use it for what it was intended for.

When I want to go for a ride on a motorcycle, I take out my VTX 1800 Retro. When I want to go for a ride on a motorcycle and still have the feeling of riding in a luxury sports car I take out my Goldwing, but when I want to go real fast and cover a quater mile in 7 seconds I take out my
    dragster.

Have fun and be very careful

BigUgly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUgly
    FUSE,

If you have never been on the starting line of a drag strip then do yourself a favor and listen to what some of the others here have said about not bringing the revs up too high and dumping the clutch. At some tracks that use traction compound your shoes will stick to the track as you walk up there, so if you think you are going to get the rear wheel to spin off the line you may be in for a shock when the front wheel is up over your head. My dragster which has 16" wide slicks, leaves the starting line real hard and gets to 60' in .990 to 1.000 second and lifts the front wheels and barely spins the rear tires because of the amount of traction compound at the line.

Also, don't line up directly in the middle of the track, there is better traction in the path of tire tracks from four wheel vehicles.

Now I'm all for people doing whatever they want to do, and it wouldn't bother me if someone bought a wing and rode it off a cliff if thats what they like doing, but I personally wouldn't take a wing to the drag strip, I would use it for what it was intended for.

When I want to go for a ride on a motorcycle, I take out my VTX 1800 Retro. When I want to go for a ride on a motorcycle and still have the feeling of riding in a luxury sports car I take out my Goldwing, but when I want to go real fast and cover a quater mile in 7 seconds I take out my
    dragster.

Have fun and be very careful

BigUgly

VERY nice dragster.

A friend of mine just picked up a rail car during bike week. He was running 10.50s with the engine in an SS Nova. He thinks it will run somewhere in the 8s with the much lighter dragster.

What set up are you using to run in the 7s? Small block with supercharger? Big Block? Gas, alcohol or other?

2008 Caliente Red Level III
    2010 Concours 14ABS
    2002 GL1800A for sale soon

PROWLER 16

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pbird49
    Hey GL1800GSXR1000

Wanna bet? lol

Pat

Wanna bet? What???

2008 Caliente Red Level III
    2010 Concours 14ABS
    2002 GL1800A for sale soon

PROWLER 16

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot guys for all the tips. My computer crashed right after I posted this so I wasn't able to get back on for a bit.

To answer a couple of questions......

The name of my bike. It's full name is G/L 1800 Hornet. Named after the F/A 18 Hornet. I like the name, sounds aggressive to me.

The reason I am doing this. Pure fun, I don't have a dragster, the wing is the fastest thing I have. Sure, If I had a busa I would be taking that to the track today but I don't so the Hornet will be going. I'm not going to compete against anyone but myself. I just want to be able to hammer my bike for a bit legally. I've heard so many folks talk about thier top speed verified by GPS, other riders, and the worst, by radar. I want to do that on a controlled track, with no oncoming traffic, and no legal problems.

You know how just as many people say that this bike isn't a sport bike and should be used as it's intended. Well a lot of folks will say the Goldwing is not what motorcycles are for. ****, heated grips, seats, trunk, radio, cb, ect. ect. ect...... Thats a car on two wheels. I get so many people that don't understand asking me "Why?" They just don't see why I would want to do what normally is done in a car on a motorcycle. Same thing here, just because you don't get it don't make it not right. Who cares what everyone else does. I dont' say anything to the folks that ride thier bikes like grandma's. Remember, I'm probably about half the age of a lot of folks on this board. I am the new Goldwing rider. Get used to us doing wheelies and racing the wing. We want to have fun with what we have. I'll be damn that just because I don't have the stereotypical whatever that I'm going to sit on the sidelines and not join in on the fun. I may be a little out of place but I'm having fun instead of wishing I was.....

Just got finished checking the weather, looks like the wet stuff will be gone, hopefully everything will be dry enough in a couple of hours. If anyone is interested, I will be at the Capitol Raceway in Crofton MD. Test and Tune starts at 11am. If for some reason it is a rain out then it will be next weekend. I can't wait.

Thanks again for everyone's tips. I will remember everything said but bottom line is that I will be doing what feels comfortable. Lewis from EC. That tree thing is cool. Gives me an idea now of what to expect from the tree. Thank you. I will post back tonight my experiences and times. Can't wait to share my day with you all.
    Ray aka "FUSE"

A lil ol' video I made in 05'.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

The Toolman

Fuse,

Don't worry about what the "Sunshine Boys" say, give it hell and have a good time. You can't tear up anything that money can't fix anyway. I spent a lot of time at dragstrips about 20 years ago and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Ronnie

Post Thanks / Like

OK pretend we were just playing kickball and a car distracted you or something - REDO!!!!

The weather here in MD yesterday closed the track at Capital Raceway. We waited for an hour or so for them to try and dry the track then the temps dropped a bit and it started to rain again. Damn... Hope the weathers good next Sunday. I'll be trying this again then. Anyone in the area should come on by, should be a fun day at the track.

And oh yeah GAME ON!!!
    Ray aka "FUSE"

A lil ol' video I made in 05'.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

Seasoned Member
    bolingbrook il, the villages, fl monticello, in
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen several wings run in the mid 11's at the drag strip at union grove, they do a second gear launch at about 3000 rpm.
    Prowler #51
    04 Honda Goldwing
    04 Honda Rune
    08 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
    13 Can-Am Renegade 800

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quit bogarting that doobie...

Quote Originally Posted by gmk1800
    I have seen several wings run in the mid 11's at the drag strip at union grove, they do a second gear launch at about 3000 rpm.
    Yeah and I've seen the all mighty Gold Wing climb Mt. Everest also.

You guys and your hallucinations... I wish you'd share whatever the hell it is you're smokin.

With a shot of nitrous I might believe it. But there is no way in hell a bone stock GL 1800 is going to turn a mid 11 sec. 1/4 mile. That I will put money on!

Better yet... I've got a $1000 that says there isn't a single guy on this board that can turn a 12.5 sec. 1/4 mile with a stock GL 1800. Do I have any takers?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here we go again...

RIDE SAFE, RIDE SMART, JUST RIDE

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The only reason to say "here we go again" is due to the fact some people are having hallucinations on how quick and fast a GL1800 is/or was in a 1/4 mile run. RodeHard is correct and if you don't think that I am right, then by all means put up the $1000 that he is betting with his challange.

The Toolman

Default Re: Quit bogarting that doobie...

Quote Originally Posted by RodeHard
    Yeah and I've seen the all mighty Gold Wing climb Mt. Everest also.

You guys and your hallucinations... I wish you'd share whatever the hell it is you're smokin.

With a shot of nitrous I might believe it. But there is no way in hell a bone stock GL 1800 is going to turn a mid 11 sec. 1/4 mile. That I will put money on!

Better yet... I've got a $1000 that says there isn't a single guy on this board that can turn a 12.5 sec. 1/4 mile with a stock GL 1800. Do I have any takers?

RH, you might as well give up. I haven't seen anybody here take you up on any of your bets when it comes to them shelling out the $$$$.
    Remember the old saying,
    Money Talks-B.S. Walks

Ronnie

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey rodehard, just because you are to limp wristed to twist a throttle and run in the mid 11's dosen't mean it can't be done!
    Prowler #51
    04 Honda Goldwing
    04 Honda Rune
    08 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
    13 Can-Am Renegade 800

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

GMK1800. I assume from that comment that you are putting up the $1000 on Rodehard's challange or is it just hype to see your name in print and it is easy to shoot your mouth off on the internet without repercussions. I hope it is the former and I finally see an optimist "Gowldwinger" put up some money rather than words.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator
    GMK1800. I assume from that comment that you are putting up the $1000 on Rodehard's challange or is it just hype to see your name in print and it is easy to shoot your mouth off on the internet without repercussions. I hope it is the former and I finally see an optimist "Gowldwinger" put up some money rather than words.
    Wow, think of how many blizzards, or pecan cluster parfaits a grand would buy.

Mike
    "Government is the only enterprise in the world which expands in size when its failures increase." Janice Rogers Brown

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default High or stupid... which is it?

Hey rodehard, just because you are to limp wristed to twist a throttle and run in the mid 11's dosen't mean it can't be done!
    Like I said there dude... quit bogarting that doobie and share. You and some of your other winger brethren here are seriously high if you think a stock Wing will run mid 11's... either that or you guys are just to damn stupid and can't read a time slip or a tote board. Which is it?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I said that I have seen it done, not that I have done it! I personaly would not beat my bike that way, but others have, and I am just coming to the defense of an other wing board member that said he ran a 11.9 and I believe him, I have personaly witnessed others on wings run in the 11's at the track, I don't know what mod's were made or if they were running nitros or what, I just take offense at one load mouth on this board that thinks if he can't do it it must be impossible! he has never proved anything to anyone on this board to be such an authority, when challanges have been made , and excepted, ( like with yellow wolf) he automaticly throws up money figures hoping to get out of the challange, read all of his past posts, and see his M.O. for yourselves. He is nothing but a self proclaimed know it all that hides behind a keyboard!
    Prowler #51
    04 Honda Goldwing
    04 Honda Rune
    08 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
    13 Can-Am Renegade 800

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My head is bloody from beating against the wall..

when challanges have been made , and excepted, ( like with yellow wolf) he automaticly throws up money figures hoping to get out of the challange, read all of his past posts, and see his M.O. for yourselves. He is nothing but a self proclaimed know it all that hides behind a keyboard!
    You and YellowWolf must be sharing the same hooch... if I put up a $1000 bet, it's not because I'm trying to get out of a challenge you dipsh*t, it's because I not only accept the challenge, but want to make it worth my while to beat whomever is issuing the challenge. In YellowWolf's case he thinks he can out ride me, I said okay... I've got a $1000 that says you can't. Does this sound like I'm trying to get out of a challenge?

In this case there are a few "illiterates" here that think a stock Gold Wing can run an 11 or 12 sec quarter mile. I said I've got a $1000 that says it can't. Does this sound like I'm trying to get out of a challenge?

You wingers just love to run your mouths and make up fairytale stories, but when somebody calls you to the floor and asks you to put your money where your mouths are, you all run like a bunch of scared little sissies.

What's up with that?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rodehard, I never made a challange, I just said that I have seen it done, how does a thousand dollar bet co-icide with that statement. what if you wittnessed something along with 100's of other people, and you were told that you are full of b.s.
    Prowler #51
    04 Honda Goldwing
    04 Honda Rune
    08 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
    13 Can-Am Renegade 800

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rodehard, I never made a challange, I just said that I have seen it done, how does a thousand dollar bet co-icide with that statement. what if you wittnessed something along with 100's of other people, and you were told that you are full of b.s.
    All I'm saying is there is not a stock GL 1800 made that will turn mid 11 sec. 1/4 mile times let alone even mid 12's.

If you saw a Gold Wing doing those kind of times, then they were not stock Wings. That I can guarantee!

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default concerning reaction times

From my best recollection, it matters not how quickly your reaction time is when achieving a quarter-mile e.t. You can sit there as long as you like after the tree goes green and the clock does not start until you trip the light.
    So...if you are going for pure elapsed time numbers for the sake of getting your best e.t., then pull the trigger anytime after the light comes down.

The reason I mention this is that sometimes people get nervous at the line, and forget what they are doing, and if you aren't too familiar with the sequence, you can relax and go anytime after the green.

Hope this helps!
    '04 GL1800 Black

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rodehard you said...
    In this case there are a few "illiterates" here that think a stock Gold Wing can run an 11 or 12 sec quarter mile. I said I've got a $1000 that says it can't. Does this sound like I'm trying to get out of a challenge?

Please clarify this statement for me. Are you saying that anyone who posts a time slip in the 11 or 12 second time range with a stock bike will get $1000?
    John Conley Owner
    WingSoft Seats
    Veteran U.S Army Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Enduring Freedom

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

John: I believe he said Mid 12 seconds or better in the 1/4 mile. We know that it can turn a 12.7 ET from the bike magazines. A full second faster than that and still being stock is the arguement.. I side with RodeHard in that it ain't gunna happen.Maybe sniffing a little nitrous oxide, but not stock. Or a down hill grade of about 45 dgrees.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

John: I believe he said Mid 12 seconds or better in the 1/4 mile. We know that it can turn a 12.7 ET from the bike magazines. A full second faster than that and still being stock is the arguement.. I side with RodeHard in that it ain't gunna happen.Maybe sniffing a little nitrous oxide, but not stock. Or a down hill grade of about 45 dgrees.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I also said in a previous post that I did not know if any mod's or nitros was being used!
    Prowler #51
    04 Honda Goldwing
    04 Honda Rune
    08 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
    13 Can-Am Renegade 800

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John/Bike Solutions LLC
    Rodehard you said...
    In this case there are a few "illiterates" here that think a stock Gold Wing can run an 11 or 12 sec quarter mile. I said I've got a $1000 that says it can't. Does this sound like I'm trying to get out of a challenge? Please clarify this statement for me. Are you saying that anyone who posts a time slip in the 11 or 12 second time range with a stock bike will get $1000?
    I'm going to make this real easy!

MY STATEMENT IS: If you have a stock GL 1800 and you think you can run at least a 12.5 second 1/4 mile, I will bet you $1000 that you can't. Is this clear enough?

For those of you that have stated publicly that you can turn less than a 12.5 sec 1/4 mile... I suggest you take me up on my bet. Otherwise go back to smoking whatever it was you were smoking and hallucinate some more.

Post Thanks / Like

RodeHard,

As I posted before, I accepted your challenge and then you posted that you gave up. Like they say, put up or shut up.

It's your bet, it's my home track, see you at Da Grove!

See my previous post for date and time.

Thanks to all who have seen and believe that a GL1800 when properly run and not babied can make 1/4 mile runs in the low 12's and even break into the 11's with an 11.9 ET (11.961 to be exact).

Richard Fischer
    Ride Coordinator
    GWRRA Chapter IL-G2 (Gurnee, IL)
    2008 Victory Vision Tour Premium, purchased new 4/5/2008
    2003 GL1800 in Candy Red, "No Illusion", new 7/11/02, sold 4/2008, w/ 86,000 miles

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A winger accepting my challenge... too good to be true!

Quote Originally Posted by g2rich
    As I posted before, I accepted your challenge and then you posted that you gave up. Like they say, put up or shut up.
    You have to be shi**ing me... a winger who is actually going to accept my challenge. This I have to see to believe! In your previous post I was going to write you off as being dillusional, but it sounds like you have been taking your meds and may even be halfway competent... lets find out!

I accept your challenge and will put my money where my mouth is.

As stated: Your bike needs to be a stock GL 1800 and you need to at least run a 12.5 ET. I'll give you 3 passes to make your best time. Anything under 12.5 ET you win... anything over a 12.5 ET I win. One other thing... if you say that you are going to show at a certain time and date at a certain track. If the the cars and bikes are running and you don't show, you forfeit your money. If you have a good excuse I'll let you slide, but if you just plain chicken out, then the money is mine!

We need to find a person we can trust to hold the funds. I nominate BullDog as he seems to be a pretty honest guy. If you don't have a problem with that, I will send my $1000 to him and let him hold it. I expect you to do the same.

Now as far as me showing up to witness you running through the traps. I don't even need to. I'm sure I have some adv buddies in the area who would be more happy to be my witness as you make your runs and will make a copy of your best time slip for me.

I will PM you to get things set up. Thanks for accepting my challege.

YEAH BABY... NOW WERE TALKING!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.