GL1800Riders Forums banner

$ 10 oil change at dealer

3K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  loren 
#1 ·
There have been lots of talk recently about dealers really suffering, here is what my local pontiac/buick dealer is doing, and theres no reason a honda bike dealer couldnt do the same trick.

I read their add in the paper, $9.95 oil change,any brand, any vehicle--except deisels, its their all the time price, so I call and theres no appointment needed, just get in . They changed oil and filter, and did a bunch of other service checks. The total bill was $10.97 with the sales tax, no fees for disposal, or any other bs. You would be hard pressed to find 4.4 quarts of oil and a filter, with tax, for the $11 at any store. I was out in 30 minutes total.

Now on top of that, a huge clean waiting room with computer, free soda and water, newspapers, donuts, coffee, all free.

Of course they want you in to buy other services as well, look at the new cars, and in general put their name on your list if your looking for a new car someday.

I think its a fine idea to introduce themselves, and their services. The local honda bike dealer here gets $69.95, for a oil change, and charges disposal, and they tack on a shop fee for like 5% on everything, and you need an appointment besides.

Honda bike dealers, rather than whine about how tough they got it, wake up and try a plan like this. The dealership recovers oil and filter cost, donates a little labor, but gets a chance to get bike owners in the door, and sell added services, and whatever else, plus they have you for half an hour in the store looking around at trinkets and chrome crap.

See less See more
#27 ·
It will be a cold in hell when I pay a dealer $69.95 for an oil change...:eek:

cosmic
This is the exact point of my essay

If they would charge, say $15 for it, they would get tons of folks in, and build a customer base, and then be allowed to sell add on service, parts and trinkets, and installs on trinkets

Lots of people would like to buy a trinket and have it installed, most dealers make that next to impossible

But at the $70 number, only a few will roll it in

There have been many people here who paid that much for an oil change, I have actualy seen people on trips pull it in and pay that, or more.

#28 ·
Kevin,dont it frost your cookies when you see oil at wallyworld for sale for less than yours or my shop can buy it ???? OLE YELLER MBG PA
In a word Yes :lol:

#30 ·
It will be a cold in hell when I pay a dealer $69.95 for an oil change...:eek:

cosmic
That would be considered a steal here in Ontario, maybe all of Canada. Regular price for an oil change is $100+taxes. :eek:4:

One of my HD riding friends told me about Sovies in Potsdam NY, 80 miles, so I made a weekend of it and went and checked them out. $47 for the oil change. I do my own oil changes but it's nice to know that I have a dealer close by for my warranty work.

#31 ·
I wonder what they would say if I pulled in with my Boxster? :shrug:

#32 ·
A friend of mine paid $92.00 for an oil change on his GL1500. And this was from the dealer that he had purchased two Wings from. When I found out about this I did it for him from then on. He insisted on giving me $20.00 though I could do it for less.

#33 ·
I think I win for the most expensive 1800 oil change. I was on a weekend ride and it was time for an oil change, so I stopped here. The service guy said he could get me in. Now I know it was gonna cost more than doing it myself ( which I do ) and I should have asked the price, but gee whiz $84 plus tax:22yikes:. I asked very nicely if the invoice was correct. When told yes, I asked if he was insane. He said that's the cost. I refused to pay, and was told no $ no bike. The service dept was empty and now I see why.
This was in '06, just think what it is at today's prices.

I have supplied the invoive for proof of a really expensive lesson.

#34 ·
I think I win for the most expensive 1800 oil change. I was on a weekend ride and it was time for an oil change, so I stopped here. The service guy said he could get me in. Now I know it was gonna cost more than doing it myself ( which I do ) and I should have asked the price, but gee whiz $84 plus tax:22yikes:. I asked very nicely if the invoice was correct. When told yes, I asked if he was insane. He said that's the cost. I refused to pay, and was told no $ no bike. The service dept was empty and now I see why.
This was in '06, just think what it is at today's prices.

I have supplied the invoive for proof of a really expensive lesson.
How many quarts do you put in when you do it yourself :?: :shock:

#35 ·
That is one dealer I will never deal with. For one thing, he shows 5 qts of oil. The GW only holds 4 qts with the filter. Just one more stealer I will never do business with. Thanks...good job !

#36 ·
The GW only holds 4 qts with the filter.

Actually slightly less than 4 qts so they should have given him a partial bottle to take home too. Bad Dealer!

Rumor has it that our local Honda Dealer is going out of business.

That leaves a large dealer as the soul Honda dealer in the area. For them to attract my business, they will need to significantly improve their customer service skills. It is as if "I need them" so they can be how ever they want and charge stupid-high prices and expect I will be back. Uh! No!

What Honda Dealers should consider doing is what my cage dealer did when I bought my car in 2002; Lifetime Oil/Filter Change. I paid $199 when i bought the car new and I pay them $5 (for filter) every time I get an oil change. They set the interval at every 3,000 miles or 90 days.

Well, I used the car to commute 100 miles a day, 5 days a week for quite a long time so this was definitely a good thing for me.

On average I have been getting the oil changes around every 3500 miles. The car has just over 166,000 miles now. That equate to about 47 oil changes I have paid $5 for or $235 plus the $199 for total of $434 for 47 oil changes. It rounds out to about $9.24 an oil change for me and I do not have to touch a thing; no disposal fees...nothing.

In return they get my attention in their showroom (maybe someday they will get me to buy that Corvette I keep drooling on), maybe an extra add-on service such as an injector flush or wiper blades, maybe a transmission flush or a radiator flush. A win-win situation for both of us.

For my 2005 Chevy Truck with the Duramax, I paid $699 for the same interval 3K mile or 90 day only on this deal, it was free for every oil/filter change. Their regular oil change price was about $90. At 52K miles I had roughly 15 oil changes completed. The package deal paid for it self after the 8th oil change.

If a dealership wants your business, they must offer something that will keep you coming back time and time again. And attitudes and stupid-high prices isn't it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.