Cost of maintenance GL1800 vs K1200LT
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cost of maintenance GL1800 vs K1200LT

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cost of maintenance GL1800 vs K1200LT

First post and I'm wondering how it compares..I had a BMW K1200LT that I needed to mortgage the house for each time it needed routine maintenance and that was often. I'm not too mechanically inclined and about all I can do is change the oil. I'm particularly interested in knowing about maintenance of the ABS brakes. BMW calls for an annual service that is very expensive..What does the Honda require? Thanks..
    Sow a thought - reap an act
    Sow an act - reap a habit
    Sow a habit - reap a character
    Sow a character - reap a destiny

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You're in luck, if you can change your oil and filter every 4,000 miles than that should do it to about 50,000 miles. Isn't Goldwing ownership wonderful.

John

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's one of the reasons I didn't get the LT.
    2003 Candy Red ABS
    Bushtec Turbo 2+2

Post Thanks / Like

Same here... Looked at the LT and was completely turned off by the mant requirments and costs..
    The GL is like a car, change the oil and perform some other minor maint and you'll be good to go the distance!! A good friend of mine bought a Wing in the early summer after he received a $500 bill for an oil change on his GS (they "decarboned" the heads) and they forgot to put oil back in the bike..
    '07 CBR1000RR Fireblade "NESBA #74"
    '08 Triumph Rocket III Touring (SOLD)
    Dave's '03 GL1800 Candy Orange (Sold)

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I do my oil and filter once a year regardless of miles. Honda recommends 8k miles. The GL is actually cheaper than some smaller Honda bikes.
    Gene Young
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Blue 2001 non-ABS

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That stopped me from getting the BMW. I asked how much are cruise pegs...he said $1000, I asked how much is an intercom system (it didn't come with one)...he said $1000. I said see ya later and saw the Honda sign on the other side of the parking lot. Best one minute drive I have taken.
    2001 Indian Scout
    2005 Honda GL1800

Seasoned Member
    San Diego, CA America's worst managed city
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted the following on the bmw site regarding a comparison between an RT and GW...but the maintenance is the same;

Every bike is a great 3000 mile a year bike. But...

there is no comparision between a touring bike like a LT or Goldwing and a SPORT touring RT. The differences should be obvious such as comfort; including seating, 2 or4/6 cylinder engine, electronics; including radio, intercom, cruise, reverse, and of course, storage. What you lose is some degree of SPORT, but not too much. The real question should be LT or Goldwing.

In my opinion there is no better TOURING machine than a Goldwing. Designed for that sole purpose, it excels.

TOURING means miles and miles, day after day. Honda's advantage over BMW may be subtle but very important.

Less fatigue.
    Smooth and quiet. A low center of gravity flat 6 engine turns 3000 rpm at 70mph.

Economy.
    Average 40mph on regular gas. Service intervals matches it's TOURING purpose. 8k oil and filter, 16k spark plugs, 32k valve inspection (my GW has 132K and the valves are still in spec, 16k tires, 32k brakes), discount parts are the norm not the exception. Cost per mile and dealers on every corner are important when TOURING.

Dependability
    Factory warranty is 3 years and UNLIMITED MILES with an option to extend the factory warranty and additional 4 years (7 total) with UNLIMITED MILES. My last Goldwing had 248,000 miles and I wouldn't have hesitated to hop on it to Las Vegas for dinner.

Two up
    Everyone is happy.

You really can't compare a SPORT BIKE with bags to a TOURING bike. Give up a little of one for the other. I couldn't so have both. The RT is a good casual touring bike but a great SPORT TOURING bike. The Goldwing is a great TOURING bike with manners in the twisties.
    Which one is my favorite?
    '92 Harley Heritage Softail 90,000mi
    '02 Honda GL1800 234,200 mi
    '06 BMW R1200RTP 28,000 mi
    '05 Honda ST1300 65,000 mi

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.