GL1800Riders Forums banner

Loud Pipes saved this guy

3K views 50 replies 35 participants last post by  marang 
#1 ·
I'm in Key West working again. On my way back to the hotel last night in heavy traffic I was about to pull into the left lane to get in front of a Pickup that I had just passed. The car in front of me was about to turn. I looked in the rear view and saw nothing but cars. In the left mirror I saw only the pickup I was about to pull in front of. I heard a loud Crotch rocket , but couldn't find it in either mirror. I knew he was there, but couldn't find him.
I chose Not to change lanes at the last second and it was a good thing. The bike turned out to be right next to me when this decision was made. Had I not heard him I would have hit him. Turns out the one of the guys in my car in the back seat was blocking me seeing him with his head.
Not trying to start a war on the loud pipes again. Just saying, This here was a Clear case of the motorcyclist being saved from death or at least serious injury because I could hear his Bike. Probably didn't hurt that I'm a Rider either. I do Look for bikes, But I never did see this one till it what could have been too late. Had it been a Quiet bike ...............

#2 ·
What ?? Some guy on a motorcycle was invisible ?? No way !!

That guy may have been watching your every move and had a plan on what to do it you started to lane change.. Just saying because there is no way to prove the outcome of any statement we make on here !!

JMHO

#3 ·
Regardless of the strong opinions expressed on here, it does make a difference. You probably couldn't make a Wing loud enough without straight pipes to make much difference. On my Zee it has full racing Muzzy exhaust headers and pipe(which granted, is too loud) but it makes hp and definitely reduces cage pull overs, I experienced it firsthand.

#7 ·
Another reason I think riding in heavy traffic is insane.

For those of you that do, be on the alert.

#9 ·
ok if you just passed the truck then you should have seen the bike BUT if the bike jumped in behind you in front of the truck then maybe he was riding irresponsible. Either way it is good that you heard him and not turned.
Teddyb3
aka Dan

That's the same thing was thinking.

#10 ·
bugsquawsher, I read your post twice and didn't see what I was looking for, so maybe you just didn't write it. Do you only use your mirrors prior to changing lanes? Do you not turn your head both directions and look behind, as well as beside, you?

#11 ·
I'm in Key West working again. On my way back to the hotel last night in heavy traffic I was about to pull into the left lane to get in front of a Pickup that I had just passed. The car in front of me was about to turn. I looked in the rear view and saw nothing but cars. In the left mirror I saw only the pickup I was about to pull in front of. I heard a loud Crotch rocket , but couldn't find it in either mirror. I knew he was there, but couldn't find him.
I chose Not to change lanes at the last second and it was a good thing. The bike turned out to be right next to me when this decision was made. Had I not heard him I would have hit him. Turns out the one of the guys in my car in the back seat was blocking me seeing him with his head.
Not trying to start a war on the loud pipes again. Just saying, This here was a Clear case of the motorcyclist being saved from death or at least serious injury because I could hear his Bike. Probably didn't hurt that I'm a Rider either. I do Look for bikes, But I never did see this one till it what could have been too late. Had it been a Quiet bike ...............
Key West and working? Some guy's got all the luck!:thumbup:

#12 ·
IMO, he was creating his own dangerous situation by being in your mirror blind spot. Glad it turned out well though.

#14 ·
If your beside or behind a vehicle, look in his mirrors and see his face, if you don't see his face, he can not see you ... Some times you may even get the reflection of a really hot young thang behind the wheel and it all becomes fun then !! Yes, I am a dirty old man !! jmho

#15 ·
bugsquawsher, I read your post twice and didn't see what I was looking for, so maybe you just didn't write it. Do you only use your mirrors prior to changing lanes? Do you not turn your head both directions and look behind, as well as beside, you?
Yes I looked also. Sorry for not getting every detail in the post. I also Scratched My nuts if that makes a difference.
He was driving faster than the rest of traffic. It would have been his fault for being an Idiot . He was Not a safe rider, and shooting gaps like I did in my younger years. But Thanks to his loud exhaust I heard him and being a rider myself I realized he was not going the other direction I avoided running over his dumb arse. In this case, His pipes saved his hide. or is it hyde.
Key West and working? Some guy's got all the luck!:thumbup:
Come to Key West three or four times a year. You won't think it's so great. I promise. Over priced and full of people that can't drive.

IMO, he was creating his own dangerous situation by being in your mirror blind spot. Glad it turned out well though.
Yep he was riding like a kid that just got a new Hot rod Bike.

#17 ·
It sounds like the rider was not riding safe, this is true....as far as we can tell from this post. However, my last bike had LOUD pipes, and even though they were a little too loud for my longer rides, I can attest to the fact that I could see people looking for me in their mirrors because they heard me.

#18 ·
what are the loudest pipes that fit a Goldwing?

#20 ·
what are the loudest pipes that fit a Goldwing?
Torqmasters or Cobras with the baffles out. Beware though, you'll get a drone at certain speeds, even with the baffles.

#21 ·
On my way back to the hotel last night in heavy traffic I was about to pull into the left lane to get in front of a Pickup that I had just passed. The car in front of me was about to turn. I looked in the rear view and saw nothing but cars. In the left mirror I saw only the pickup I was about to pull in front of. I heard a loud Crotch rocket , but couldn't find it in either mirror. I knew he was there, but couldn't find him.
I chose Not to change lanes at the last second and it was a good thing. The bike turned out to be right next to me when this decision was made.
I suppose I am missing something, you just passed the truck on the left and were about to pull into the left lane. The truck is now in your left mirror and you also did a left head check and saw nothing. So did the other bike come from another lane further over to the left and he made a right lane change? Where did the other motorcycle come from and what was his path of travel? Also what was his speed compared to your bike, the truck you just past and the flow of traffic?

Just curious how he got where he did and where he was when you did the left head check, which of course usually supplements the blind spots of your convex mirror?

DaleC

#24 ·
Maybe that's why you missed him. Use your mirrors, turn your head, and be aware of what is around you. Regardless of the riders actions you are responsible for your vehicle. Pay attention and know what is going on around you.

Doesn't matter who is responsible if there is an accident and the rider goes down but I can picture a crotch rocket with the driver sitting on his brain getting into that left lane. They are quick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.