Gold Wing vs. Royal Star Venture
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gold Wing vs. Royal Star Venture

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gold Wing vs. Royal Star Venture

Anyone with a Gold Wing ever had a Yamaha Royal Star Venture. If so what was your opinion of it? I know it doesnt come close to a Gold Wing, but its still a nice bike and Im tossing back and forth the idea of buying a Royal Star. Although Im leaning more towards the Gold Wing.
    '06 Dark Red ABS

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck ......there r alot of members that have alot of saddle time here

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Go with the Goldwing.

You won't regret it!!

later..Randy
    later...Randy

2005 Goldwing Dark Gray Metallic... It's Gone To A New Owner.

...GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE PATRIOT GUARD RIDERS

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I rode them both before choosing the wing. The Venture is much cheaper and comes fully loaded and I have heard that engine is bulletproof but in my opinion it is fairly top heavy and not nearly as easy to control at low speeds. I don't believe you could go wrong with either and I saw a brand new black cherry a couple of weeks ago for around 14,800 which is a good price...Good luck with your decision.

James
    2006 Dark Red ABS

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gold Wing vs. Royal Star Venture

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs1800
    Anyone with a Gold Wing ever had a Yamaha Royal Star Venture. If so what was your opinion of it? I know it doesnt come close to a Gold Wing, but its still a nice bike and Im tossing back and forth the idea of buying a Royal Star. Although Im leaning more towards the Gold Wing.
    I have owned a Yamaha venture and currently a 03 GL 1800. My Venture was a 2001 model and I put approx 30K miles before I bought the Wing. The Venture is a fine motorcycle very high quality and enough power to do anything you want to do (except out run a GL 1800). I also like the way the Venture looks, but here is the downside--No fuel injection, top heavy (I never really felt like I had good control at slow speeds) and the bike is generally out of date and in bad need of some updates (which I'm sure is on Yamaha's drawing board) . The price is pretty good considering it comes with a CB, intercom, and a good radio system. It even has a casette player if you can find any of those anymore. It's not the bike that a Goldwing is; However, it's also a lot less expensive. You would own a good motorcycle should you buy one.
    BIG SHOTS ARE ONLY LITTLE SHOTS THAT KEEP SHOOTING!

GWRRA 242104 (X)
    03 Illusion Blue GL 1800
    84 Honda CT 110 Antique
    06 Mustang GT convertible
    04 Acura TLS
    07 Sport Trac

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it all boils down to what you want. The Venture is a SHARP looking bike and competes well with the Wing in most areas. It is top heavy and that would make it a problem for shorter riders, but it has good brakes, LOOKS like a V-Twin and holds at least as uch as the 1800. I looked at one before I bought the wing but it just did not "FIT" me. I am kind of a "techie" and the wing fit me better, but if you are looking for a old-school cruiser/touring bike that you can still add all the bells and whistles to, I think that it would have to be on the short list along with the Ultra.

Bulldog59

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't have a Venture, but did have an '05 Royal Star Tour Deluxe. It was a very comfortable bike and did give more of a chance to stretch out than the Wing. It was very stable going down the road...better than the Wing in cross winds. OTOH, it didn't have anywhere near the power down low...you have to wind it up...and the straight cut gears in the tranny are loud. While worse on some than on others, mine was loud enough to scream in my ears at 70mph wearing a full face helmet.

It was a pretty bike to look at...better than the Wing IMHO...but mine was black/charcoal and the chromed up engine looked awesome.

Bottom line...it's cheaper and is very durable. If you want power, handling and a smooth quiet ride...buy the wing.
    YMMV,
    Bob
    Candy red '04
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose...Jim Elliot

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Both are nice bikes....depends on the look and feel you want. Star is more "Harley" looking while the Wing has a look of it's own...Star's ride is nice and the Wing is super....Star's handling top heavy, Wing sport like. Both are high quality, both backed by great companies. Ride both and then decide.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i like the venture, that's one sharp looking bike !!!

weet
    BLUE 01' GL1800A
    1951 FARMALL ''M''
    05 HONDA 4X4 RANCHER
    76' HONDA CHOP

Post Thanks / Like

I owned a RS tour deluxe with a bat wing type fairing. It was a beautiful bike, but was poor in the handling dept. compared to the wing. The wing is more powerful, and handles more like a sport bike than cruiser. The venture is a beautiful bike that delivers great bang for the buck, but it is a crusier with bags and that is the big difference.
    Barbara Andreassen
    05 ST 1300A
    04 GL1800A
    96 Royal Star
    89 FJ1200
    85 Maxim 700
    82 Honda 250

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a Roadstar I was trading when I got my Wing.
    Standing on the Yamaha's showroom floor, the GM told me "I'll buy your bike but don't get a venture,I won't even stock one."
    Take it from there,I did.

Mark

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Go with the Wing, hands down.
    US Army Retired (Feb 02),
    Drill Sergeant, Jump Master, Airborne,
    Air Assault, Rappel Qualified.

Post Thanks / Like

Having ridden both, I would suggest it comes down to what kind of riding you want to do.

If you plan on mostly shorter one to five day trips then the Yahama is a 'fun' bike to ride.

If you are planning on lots of hours in the saddle then the Honda is a more 'comfortable' bike to ride.

I'd say neither is a great 'city' bike but both are better on the highway. If you are a canyon carver then I'd give the extra star to the Road Star. If you are planning on pulling any weight then the extra Goldwing pistons are preferred.
    John S. GWRRA; IBA; '02 Silver
    Speed costs money. How fast is your wallet?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't help with the Venture. My caution is this: Don't ride the Wing if you are not prepared to buy it. It is one awsome motorcycle.
    '08 Pearl White GL1800, ABS, NAV

Post Thanks / Like

I have ridden both; had a 01 RS Venture, put 17000 miles on that horse loved every minute of it, but like the rest I lusted for the wing. To sum things up the RS has better wind protection, has the legs to do 500 mile days, and will out run most heavy weight tourers. The wing; well lets just say it is luggage with attitude.
    Phil
    2004 GL 1800A TE
    White Bathtub Retired (111,435 miles)
    2012 ABS Blue and Silver Level 3

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gold Wing vs. Royal Star Venture

. It even has a casette player if you can find any of those anymore. [/quote]

I wish they would bring those back,

weet
    BLUE 01' GL1800A
    1951 FARMALL ''M''
    05 HONDA 4X4 RANCHER
    76' HONDA CHOP

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently riding an '05 Royal Star Venture. I sold my '01 1800 a couple years ago and thought I'd try something different this time.

I posted a report a while back on my thoughts of this bike for some here.
    Here's the link: http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/v...hlight=#280626

A post I made after taking a few pictures:
    http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/v...er=asc&start=0

I think these post might answer some of your questions. If you have any more about the Venture, feel free to drop me an email.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,

Thanks for the two links....Those, along with everyone else's replies have been very helpful and informative. Thanks to all.
    However, no one is telling me what Im wanting to hear. I was hoping to hear everyone say buy the GW as the other bike is a piece of crap. But everyone is giving the Venture good reviews. Which is making my decision that much more difficult. But when it comes down to making a final decision, I think Im going with the GW. I have always admired the GW and said one day I will have one, so thats probably whats going to be my next bike. But boy oh boy would I like that Yamaha too.

Thanks again all.
    '06 Dark Red ABS

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim,

Thanks for the two links....Those, along with everyone else's replies have been very helpful and informative. Thanks to all.
    However, no one is telling me what Im wanting to hear. I was hoping to hear everyone say buy the GW as the other bike is a piece of crap. But everyone is giving the Venture good reviews. Which is making my decision that much more difficult. But when it comes down to making a final decision, I think Im going with the GW. I have always admired the GW and said one day I will have one, so thats probably whats going to be my next bike. But boy oh boy would I like that Yamaha too.

Thanks again all.
    Don't you wish all life's decisions could have a predictably good outcome?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim,

Thanks again all.
    Your welcome twodogs. I'm glad you found the links useful. You won't find anyone saying that the Venture is a piece of crap cause it ain't. It's a great bike, but, like I've said before, It isn't a Wing, and it don't try to be. It's a bike of it's own stile. Yes, it's a little top heavy, but once you get use to it, you don't even notice it. I love it. It's a lot of fun to ride.

You'll be happy with whichever bike you decide on. You can't go wrong with either one.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

When I started looking for a new bike, back in fall of 2004, I narrowed it down to 3. Being, ahhh, errr, "Frugal" as my kids like to kid me about, I was thinking about the Yamaha Royal Star, the Concourse, and lastly, the Wing. I kinda liked the Yamaha, but, after checking on the Yamaha boards for a few months, all the complaints about shaking at 70+ mph, some of them you had to remove an exhaust pipe to change the oil & filter, etc etc etc. The concourse was a nice bike, but........in the back of my mind.....I remember wanting a Wing for almost 25 years. I went to Honda and fell in love immediately with a CBC, but the price was FIRM. I found this board, asked questions and found less expensive places to buy a wing. The rest is History.

so, as Paul Harvey would say.....

And Noowwww You know the Rest of the story.... G'day !!!
    Retired 12/19/2012
    No more Tension, Just Pension.
    PASS Illinois Chapter

Post Thanks / Like

The RSV is NOT a piece of crap.. It IS top-heavy, and more sluggish than the wing.. But it IS a beautiful bike, and popular in the endurance motorcycling set.. I test rode it before I bought the Wing, admittedly more to say I had tried it than anything.. I found it top-heavy and a bit sluggish (those I AM a big fellow). And is has no footpegs, and with my long legs, the fixed footboards were too high for comfot for anything but a short ride..) And no good way visible to either relo the footboards or add pegs...
    "Motorcycling is just like playing Frogger, but for keeps!"

USNR-Retired "It's hard to be humble when you're a Mustang"
    DoD #1239
    2005 GL1800 Silver/Black ABS (Dances With Yukons)
    http://www.prettyspretties.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John in YVR
    Having ridden both, I would suggest it comes down to what kind of riding you want to do.

If you plan on mostly shorter one to five day trips then the Yahama is a 'fun' bike to ride.

If you are planning on lots of hours in the saddle then the Honda is a more 'comfortable' bike to ride.

I'd say neither is a great 'city' bike but both are better on the highway. If you are a canyon carver then I'd give the extra star to the Road Star. If you are planning on pulling any weight then the extra Goldwing pistons are preferred.
    I guess I don't get the canyon carver comment. Road Star is a fine bike, but I don't think it can stay anywhere near a Wing in the twisties, given equivalent drivers. This is also the opinion of every motorcycle magazine that has tested both of them. Not only is the Wing stronger and better handling, it's way stronger and better handling.

I read on here a lot how the Wing is better for longer trips, but 95% of my riding is local back roads, and my other bikes mostly sit in the garage. It confuses me, but different jokes for different folks, I guess.

The rest of it is just personal preferences. Do you like to take off briskly or do you prefer to "profile"? Do you like quick, responsive handling or do you like the sound and feel of a V configuration? Do you prefer a more "Lexus" type ride that isn't quite as marshmallow, but tows the line when it's pushed a little harder, or do you prefer a more compliant "Cadillac" ride that wallows and weaves a little when pushed.

Most important, Do you prefer the slightly forward standard bike riding position of the Wing, or the "sit up and beg" cruiser position. This is big. So big that it overcomes most other factors.
    Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes. -Henry David Thoreau.

Except motorcycling -Lazyboy

Post Thanks / Like

I owned two RSV's, first one was a two tone silver 1999 and the 2nd one was a 2002 Midnight. I loved both bikes. I really didn't find them as top heavy as others are reporting. I put 50,000 miles on both bikes with out as much as a trip to the dealer, except for more safety chrome. I am 6' 1" and 230 lbs and really could not have been happier with the seating position and comfort level on the Yamaha.

Wind protection was better on the RSV especially for the wife. Now when ever we get into any kind of cross wind I have to listen to her complain how much pounding she's taking compaired to the Yamaha. Wet weather riding was better on the RSV. I tossed my gaters because riding in the rain my feet stayed perfectly dry, where as they do get wet on the wing.

Tour pack on the RSV is smaller as are the saddle bags. You can get a trunk rack that is pretty stout and we finished packing by utilizing that space. As others have mentioned price is less than the Wing and it comes pretty much loaded. All you have to add is the CD player and they can be had for $150.00 on the internet.

Yamaha has tons of safety chrome you can buy and I really broke the bank outfitting the Midnight RSV. When ever we rode with our group people would step over the Harley's and Goldwings to gawk at my Venture
    and complement on its looks. I do sort of miss that, after all its part of the fun of riding.

Now.....the reason I am riding a 2005 Wing. I made the mistake of test driving one. Getting back on my RSV after riding the wing was like kissing your sister. Yes, I gave the nod to the Yamaha in all the area's mentioned above but the acceleration and corning of the Wing just can't be beat.

So....if you want eye candy get the Yamaha but be prepaired to spend some money on the accessories.I spent around $2,400.00 which is really not that bad when you compair orginal cost difference of the two bikes.

Jeff
    Salt lake City, Utah

Post Thanks / Like

TwoDogs, I owned a 2000 Yamaha MM Venture(special edition). Put 22,000 miles on it before going over to the Wing. The Venture is a very fine looking bike, but comparing a Venture to a Wing is like comparing a cover wagaon to a Corvette. I found the Venture to VERY top heavy (I'm 6'1" and 235) and hard to handle at slow speeds. Also, the brakes are sub-par. If you apply the rear brake a little too hard the back end will want to fish tale. I know a number of the models had/have a loud whine coming from the transmission (something about the gears meshing) and my had a bad case of it. Also it is over weight and under power. The handling is like driving a 3/4 ton Army truck w/o power steering ( if you have ever driven one you know what I mean). Gas mileage on mine was in the high 29's to the low 30's. Now with all of that said it is a damn good looking bike and very comfortable to ride for long distances. I put a set of after market pipes on the thing and you talk about sounding goooood!!!
    The bottom line........nothing out there as far as I'm concerned can compare to the Wing. I currently have a red, and I mean red, 2004 Wing with 17,000 miles and prior to that a 2002 Wing that I put over 45,000 miles on it.

Got little long winded.........Good Luck and may there always be a road to ride. YoL Bolsun!!!
    The Redwasp

Yol Bolsun! (may there always be a road)

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,
    I was hoping to hear everyone say buy the GW as the other bike is a piece of crap.
    Okay, I'll say it for ya:

Buy the Wing, the other bike is piece of crap!!

Post Thanks / Like

if you like the style of the yamaha, have you considered a valkyrie interstate

very similar in style

the ere are plenty of nice low mileage interstates out there to be had

i just bought the wife a 99 interstate with 8600 miles

i like the fact that the engine is the long proven 1520 wing engine

im sure you will find it much smoother than the yamaha

more storage room

and if you like chrome, boy howdy the valkyrie fits that bill as well

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.