Trike Bumper
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trike Bumper

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trike Bumper

I recently saw a Champion Trike with a chrome bumper inserted in the hitch receiver. Anyone know who makes/sells them?
    When you think things can't get any worse, just wait. Murphy's Law ain't kicked in yet.

'04 Silver 1300 VTX RS
    '02 Illusion Red GL1800 Champion Trike

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

That really sounds cool. Hope somebody knows.
    Bill & Sandy Hatfield
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    2005 White w/2005 Champion Trike
    http://www.patriotguard.org/Home/tabid/53/Default.aspx
    GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Post Thanks / Like

I put one on my Motor Trike...bought it from them...looks great along with the chrome trailer hitch.
    Riding a red '11 Can-Am RT-S Spyder, and a '02 Orange GW/'05 Motor Trike kit.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

If you have not been to Luckenbach, you have not completed your journey.

MY NAME IS GEORGE LEWIS. Retird USAF and Sony Corp. MY EMAIL IS: scoot62@aol.com

Post Thanks / Like

If I followed you post correctly you purchased you trike from H&W in Marshall. The bumper you are describing sounds like the one I have. It was made by one of the parts guys at H&W. I think I paid $50.00 for it. Call OD and ask?
    Joe

'05 Yellow GL1800 with Champion Trike

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe

You are correct. The one that I saw was on O.D.'s personal Gold trike that he has now sold. He now has a Black Cherry trike maxed out to the gills.
    I had been thinking of calling him to find out where to get one.

Thanks
    Gil
    When you think things can't get any worse, just wait. Murphy's Law ain't kicked in yet.

'04 Silver 1300 VTX RS

IBTrike

I would like to have a functional rear bumper on my Champion, but I do not have a trailer hitch installed, and never will.

It is my understanding that Champion is going to offer a rear bumper that is fiberglass and bolts to the trike body. IMHO, that would functionally be next to worthless. Either it will break itself, (replacement would be many $$$) or it will not be strong enough to protect the trike body.

I am considering designing, and having built here locally, a nice rear stainless steel bumper that will bolt up to the trailer hitch frame attachment points. Something that will withstand a pretty good hit in the rear end without trashing the trike body, but will collapse or deflect to some degree while still protecting the trike bodywork before damaging the trike frame.

Just some thoughts. If I ever do it, I will pass on the results. In the mean time, I am very careful not to back into anything, and I get really upset with tailgaters...whether they are bikes or cages. All I can think of to myself is "BACK OFF SUCKA"!!!

Ride safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look under your Champion trike & you will see there is NO place to mount a bumper onto the frame. I think the trailer hitch would work real well. I would like to see a picture of one.
    Tires are cheap, a life isn't!!!
    Dark Side #195

IBTrike

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing
    Take a look under your Champion trike & you will see there is NO place to mount a bumper onto the frame. I think the trailer hitch would work real well. I would like to see a picture of one.
    Bluewing:

Sorry my man, but I have been under my Champion many times and a bumper could be designed to bolt up to the trailer hitch frame attachment points very easily.

All it takes is some engineering and fabrication skills. If it is possible to attach a trailer hitch to the frame, it is sure as h**l possible to fabricate a bumper to attach to the same points, and probably one that is better looking and stronger than a trailer hitch receiver mounted bumper.

If I ever get around to working one out, I would be glad to sell you one. Many Champion owners don't have trailer hitches, never will, and there is certainly a market for a good bumper that looks good, and doesn't mount to the trikes plastic body. Any bumper that attaches to the body is next to worthless, and is a disaster waiting to happen.

A good bumper can be designed to bolt up directly to the Champion frame that would be cheaper and stronger than one that requires first buying the Champion hitch ($$$$) and then the bumper to fit into it. (more $$$$), and in the final analysis, is only supported to the bike at one point...the hitch receiver.

That said, don't hold your breath. My time is limited and my fab shop is extremely busy, and getting them to proto something is probably not in the cards for a while.

Maybe someone else who has more time and capability will come up with something similar in the meantime.

Ride safe.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

1. I made the original post asking for info and I got my answer.
    2. I didn't mean to offend or get anyone's bowels in an uproar.
    3. I did order a hitch from factory and intend to use it.
    4. The bumper I saw was more or less for decorative purposes like about 90% of the crap one hangs on their machines and it does tend to disguise the ugly receiver when hitch is not installed.
    5. That being said, everyone ride safe and keep them angel bells ringing.

'04 Silver 1300 VTX RS

IBTrike

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Daddy
    1. I made the original post asking for info and I got my answer.
    2. I didn't mean to offend or get anyone's bowels in an uproar.
    3. I did order a hitch from factory and intend to use it.
    4. The bumper I saw was more or less for decorative purposes like about 90% of the crap one hangs on their machines and it does tend to disguise the ugly receiver when hitch is not installed.
    5. That being said, everyone ride safe and keep them angel bells ringing.
    No problem here Daddy. I hope you will be happy with your hitch bumper. Each to his own. I plan to someday be able to put together one that will not require having a trailer hitch, and it can be done.

Ride safe.

Post Thanks / Like

TRIKE SHOP SELLS ONE THAT GOES RIGHT INTO THE HITCH!!

I PERSONALLY SAW IT AT THE DAYTONA BIKE WEEK.

IT LOOKED LIKE A STEP RAIL FROM A TRUCK STEP Mounted to a hitch bar- But it does fit and contour.

Joe Cat

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bumpers for Champion trike

East Tenn. Trikes,makes a nice bumper for champion trikes square or round with lights in them 423-257-5521 the guys name is Ernie .

Post Thanks / Like

I have nice bumper for a champion if anyone is interested you can e-mail me leontompkins@aol.com

Post Thanks / Like

IBTrike
    You also said you didn't need or want a modified front fork rake.
    Jerry
    Jerry & Trish Funk

2003 GL1800A Silver/CSC Trike
    1984 Bushtec

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.