Champion Trike Brake pads
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Champion Trike Brake pads

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Champion Trike Brake pads

Does anyone know what brand/model of brake calipers are used on a GL1800 Champion Trike kit, or who manufactures the brake pads Champion uses?

JJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

JJ

I have the Champion Trike Conversion Installation Guide and under "Specifications" it states that it uses a "Modified Lightweight Toyota rear axle/diffential assembly" with a "2.93:1 gear ratio" with "high performance brakes at rear". Dealer led me to believe that it used Toyota brakes and said that because they were being used in a light weight application versus an automobile that they should last >30K miles. I could only suggest that you take a pad to an auto parts house and if you have a "parts pro" he should be able to fix you up. Because the brakes are so easy to get to I think that I will consider using a softer pad after the originals wear out in order to save wear on rotor. I figure they should last at least 15-20K miles. If anyone else as an opinion on my thoughts please let us know.

Gil
    When you think things can't get any worse, just wait. Murphy's Law ain't kicked in yet.

'04 Silver 1300 VTX RS
    '02 Illusion Red GL1800 Champion Trike

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told the calipers were Volkswagon. Let us know what you find out..
    Jim n Judy
    04 Magenta trike (Champion kit)
    Judy drives
    Jim waves, sleeps, knits and sometimes

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

JJ

To eliminate any confusion, you should call Champion at 1-800-875-0949. Please post what you find out.

Thanks

Gil
    When you think things can't get any worse, just wait. Murphy's Law ain't kicked in yet.

'04 Silver 1300 VTX RS

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have called Champion and they wouldn't give me the information.

JJ

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JJ

JJ
    well that is a good endorsement for anyone wanting them to convert their bike
    2005 GL1800 ABS

Post Thanks / Like

I was told they are aftermarket replacements for VW to convert the Drum brake to Disc
    Live for today, Its later then you think!!!

2012 Red Gl1800

IBTrike

Quote Originally Posted by JJ

JJ
    I don't believe that for one minute.

Try again. Must be you got a troll on the line.

Ride safe.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe that statement either. Every time I have called them they bend over backwards to be helpful and answer ALL my questions. A couple times they called me back with answers to my questions because they wanted to be sure of the answer they gave me. Champion is a CLASS ACT company to do business with.
    Tires are cheap, a life isn't!!!
    Dark Side #195

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK IB and Bluewing,

Called Champion again. Tried the parts department this time rather than the tech support department which was my first contact point. I asked them about the rear axle assy, rotors, brake pads, and calipers.

The info they gave me is as follows:

Rear axle assy: Toyota (no other info)

Brake Pads: EBC (no part number or other info)

Calipers: Didn't know (Thought it may be a company called Brembo)

Rotors: Didn't know (Thought it may be a company called Brembo)

Must be my communicative skills. Maybe you guys could contact them and get specific part and model numbers for these items. If you are successful please post the info.

JJ

IBTrike

JJ and All:

I called Champion today. Spoke to Hank in the parts dept. In fact when I called him, he wasn't available, so I left my number and he called me back in 5 minutes.

Brake pads can be ordered from Champion. Part No. BR-EFO-004.

Full set of pads for both wheels is $78.40 plus shipping.

I suspect that the reason they either can't or won't give you any other part number (for a 3rd party supplier) is due to liability concerns. This is normal practice with most manufacturers.

Ride safe.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In my previous post I stated that the installation manual indicated that the brakes were "high performance"; however, for $78.40 they must contain either exotic materials or some kind of precious metal. Oh well, guess we'll be a "captive audience".

'04 Silver 1300 VTX RS

IBTrike

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Daddy
    In my previous post I stated that the installation manual indicated that the brakes were "high performance"; however, for $78.40 they must contain either exotic materials or some kind of precious metal. Oh well, guess we'll be a "captive audience".
    You might try taking a pad to a couple auto parts stores and see if they can match it up. Hopefully a clerk would recognize them in some way, because there are probably hundreds of styles of pads.

I would doubt that they are anything exotic material wise. There seems little need for that.

Personally, I would probably get the OEM pads from Champion, then there is no chance of having a problem. After all, how often do you need to replace them? It seems that most of the time I try to cheap out on something like that I get burned.

Screwing around with brakes can be a risky business.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

nt
    Tires are cheap, a life isn't!!!
    Dark Side #195

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's one of the reasons I went with Trike Shop. Most of the parts are automotive and can be purchased at the local parts house. Trike Shop will not only give me the original part numbers, they include many of them in the paper work that came with the kit. Statements like "in-house design" and "our exclusive design" usually send me running the other way. Don't get me wrong, those other kits are good products, I just don't like being locked in to buying my parts from them, ie: 78 bucks for pads.
    Bruce
    Silver '03 Trike Shop

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Trike Conversion Guide that I received list the following for brake pads: (Jan 2003, Revision 3)

Item # 8.14.8 (Pair) brake pads (2 pairs per vehicle) BR-EFO-003

Also other listed items for th e REAR BRAKE SYSTEM 8.2
    8.2.1 (1) M10x 1.25 Brass T- Block BR-EFO-002
    8.2.2 (1) - 20 NyLoc Nut HW-250-005
    8.2.3 (1) 10 Stainless Steel brake Line (Front) BR-EOO-007
    8.2.4 (1) 25 Stainless Steel Brake Line (Rear) BR-EOO-009
    8.2.5 (1) Residual Pressure Valve BR-EOO-003
    8.2.6 (2) M10 Thick Crush Washers BR-GOO-004
    8.2.7 (1) 40 inch Hard Brake Line BR-EFOO-005
    8.2.8 (1) 20 inch Hard Brake Line BR-EOO-004

Loks like the brake stuff is probably Brembo (never heard that company).
    Hope this helps someone and clears up some of the confusion on this
    Bill & Angel
    CWO USN RET
    Farmington, Ar

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pete Hatfield contacted me and told me the brake pads are from a 77-78 VW Super Beetle.. Thanks Pete!!

JJ

IBTrike

oldtags:

Academic at this point, but FYI Brembo is the worlds premier manufacturer of high performance disk brake systems. Used in NASCAR, IRL, F1, and many exotic sports and racing cars.

Clearly, Champions rear brakes are not Brembo, because if they were, the Brembo name would be prominently visible on their calipers. They are also very pricy.

Almost no automobile manufacturer makes their own brakes. It is a highly specialized business, and they buy their brakes from one of the several brake manufacturers, ie, Bosch, Brembo, Wagner, and a handful of others. I have been a supplier of tooling to a Bosch Brake plant in St Joseph, MI (formerly Bendix) for over 40 years, so I know a little bit about the brake manufacturing business. Now retired, so I am no longer involved. (thankfully)

jj: Let us know what a set of 77-78 VW Super Beetle pads cost. There are all kinds of aftermarket makers of brake pads. Some good, some lousy. Be careful what you get.

Thanks. Ride safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBTrike View Post
    oldtags:

Academic at this point, but FYI Brembo is the worlds premier manufacturer of high performance disk brake systems. Used in NASCAR, IRL, F1, and many exotic sports and racing cars.

Clearly, Champions rear brakes are not Brembo, because if they were, the Brembo name would be prominently visible on their calipers. They are also very pricy.

Almost no automobile manufacturer makes their own brakes. It is a highly specialized business, and they buy their brakes from one of the several brake manufacturers, ie, Bosch, Brembo, Wagner, and a handful of others. I have been a supplier of tooling to a Bosch Brake plant in St Joseph, MI (formerly Bendix) for over 40 years, so I know a little bit about the brake manufacturing business. Now retired, so I am no longer involved. (thankfully)

jj: Let us know what a set of 77-78 VW Super Beetle pads cost. There are all kinds of aftermarket makers of brake pads. Some good, some lousy. Be careful what you get.

Thanks. Ride safe.
    I called Champion. The parts person told me the brakes are made for them and them alone. "Don't bereave that" And the price now is $116.00

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by a201326 View Post
    I called Champion. The parts person told me the brakes are made for them and them alone. "Don't bereave that" And the price now is $116.00
    This is a OLD thread however, I have a 2011 Champion IRS and it calls for Volkswagen pads which are not made for Champion exclusively. The pads are Volkswagen Part Number D101P. What year is your trike kit? Check the Champion trike web site (www.championtrikes.com ) and do a search for your model/year trike "Owners Maintenance Notes" page.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The tooling cost for Champion to have their brake calipers made for them exclusively would be PROHIBITIVE!!!!!!!!!!! That would also mean they would have to do their own ROTORS to match their brake calipers. They just want to keep you guys as a captive customer. pretty hard to do that now with the Internet where you can get all kinds of info.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by a201326 View Post
    That is my understanding too. They do have an older and newer caliper design. The newer ones are made by Brembo. The prices may reflect the differances in calipers. Also, they are not a car pad. The caliper pistons I'm sure are way smaller the 3/4" diameter and the pad thickness is about that of ones on the front of a Wing. Small pistons and thin pads are usually not something found in the automotive world.
    Last edited by GoldWingrGreg; 10-21-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Installer:))

If, and when, I need any tech. info about my trike...I first call my installer. He is so, so knowledgable. Sometimes off the top of his head: part #, price and where. He has saved me tons of time and worry. THX, Timm's Trikes of St. Charles, MN.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.