Garmin Quest power source and speaker
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garmin Quest power source and speaker

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin Quest power source and speaker

Just bought a new Quest and Garmin's Motorcycle cradle for my 2006 Goldwing. Can anybody out there tell me the easiest way to hook it to 12V and also tie into perhaps the intercom, so I can hear the directions?
    I was hoping there would be connections under the left storage box.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The best bet is the Quest/Quest 2 motorcycle mount. It has a power cable that you could hook in to the accessory power plug under the left pocket. It also has a jack that you can plug the Aux connector into for sound.
    Lee

2006 Goldwing, Gold/Navi
    2009 Kawasaki VN900 Custom
    1982 Honda CM250C

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Lee!

Got the Garmin mount coming today. Found a red plug under the left pocket. Is that the one?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't remember the color, there were 2 under the left pocket. One red, one white. One was power and the other for the aux stereo plug. The power only had 2 pins, the aux had 3 pins. Use a volt meter to be sure.
    Lee

2006 Goldwing, Gold/Navi
    2009 Kawasaki VN900 Custom
    1982 Honda CM250C

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are the ACC power & AUX input connectors under the LH fairing pocket. You might have to dig in the boot to find them.

The Red connector is power and the White is the AUX input for the stereo

E/C has the connectors to make your own connection here, but make sure that your cable to the Garmin cradle is fused.

You could theoretically run an 3.5mm stereo extension from the AUX input pigtail to the Quest and then convert it from a stereo plug to a mono and then drop from 3.5mm to 2.5mm (the size of the Quest audio output plug), but you'll probably also need a ground loop isolator to remove the audio whine. In addition, you'll need to dedicate the AUX input to the Quest, so you'll have no other audio input available while you're waiting for the voice directions.

Another option for you would be to use a Kennedy SingleSet system to connect the voice prompts to the intercom system, which can override any other audio source that you might have selected at the time. (This is routable to your headsets only)

Still another option would be to use one of the AUX input devices that allows you to share the input with a music source (eventually), or just take advantage of their ground loop isolation device and pre-built harness.

Seasoned Member Brian in Abilene's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I cut the audio plug out of the cable and reconnected the white and brown wires. Now the audio comes out under the seat with the power. I connected the audio to the intercom with a Kennedy SingleSet. Works like a champ!
    After 10 years of riding the 1800 Goldwing we've decided to take a different path, a new convertible Mustang GT.
    Those who know me know why the change was made. I won't be on this board much anymore, if you need to reach me use
    my email, brianblack@att.net.

Ride safe!

Brian and Teresa

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks!

I think I can handle that-- but how did you route the wires from the Garmin Quest down to the connectors?

Seasoned Member Brian in Abilene's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ran it inside the handle bar with the wiring harness then under the top shelter and down the right side of the bike. I zipped tied it to the wiring harness and frame. Just remember when you go from the handle bar to the bike to leave some slack for turning.

The Quest audio harness from Kennedy comes with a plug on the end. I cut this plug off, had to since there's no longer any place to plug it in to, and wired it directly to the white and brown wires of the Garmin cable.

Hope this makes sense to ya!
    After 10 years of riding the 1800 Goldwing we've decided to take a different path, a new convertible Mustang GT.
    Those who know me know why the change was made. I won't be on this board much anymore, if you need to reach me use
    my email, brianblack@att.net.

Ride safe!

Brian and Teresa

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.