GL1800 CB like antenna for ham radio?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GL1800 CB like antenna for ham radio?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default GL1800 CB like antenna for ham radio?

Does anyone know of a source for a gl1800 CB radio-like antenna for ham radio use?

I'd hate to drill a hole in the trunk lid for a 2 meter or 146/440 ham antenna ...

Thanks in advance.
    Dom in So. Philadelphia
    2005 GL1800 ABS
    GWRRA, HRCA, IBA, STOC, NRA

My 'cycle trips:

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If your talking about the mag base antenna types, I don't know where you would mount them. The scoot is all plastic on the outside. And I know of no dual banders that cover from 27 Mhz to 440 Mhz. Perhaps you could look around find a place to mount a clamp on. Comet and many others make a very wide variety. The "thru the glass" types would work, but you would have to glue the antenna on the bike. The glue used is almost non removeable, and would surely damage the finish. I have seen a few antennas mounted on short poles att'chd to a trailer hitch. Perhaps on the handle bars somewhere??? (btw...thru the glass mounts are VERY susceptable to generating unwanted RF. Many ops have experianced problems with onboard computer systems when using this type of mount)......

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking on this the other day and looking at the radio ant on the bike now for the stereo. I was thinking of taking a regular ant like what is on the bike and cutting it down to 1/4 wave lenght for 2 meters and mount on the side where the cb ant goes.
    Or buying the cb mount (the chrome one on the trunk) and taking a dual bander ant and installing the coax mounts from the comet dual bander ant I have and treading it up thru the base. Then all you need to do is thread the comet ant on. Looks a little different than the cb ant but gives you 2 or 440 meters. Or you could just buy a 2 meter ant and convert the stereo mount to accept the ant. I am going to experiment this winter.
    I just bought a dual bander for my truck a few weeks ago a Yeasu 7800. It has a removeable face plate and you can intall the radio in the trunk and the face plate mounted on the pocket door with velcro, which then can be removed any time you wish.
    Hope this helps get the creative juices flowing 73''.

GWLee
    N4SAT
    GWLee
    Retired and enjoying my

06 1800 GoldWing
    Premium, Titanium

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Radio antennas:

Quote Originally Posted by stickyfingers
    And I know of no dual banders that cover from 27 Mhz to 440 Mhz. )......
    TNX for the info. I would not be interested in CB band on the bike ... .I would do 2 meters or 144/440 mhz.

Bike is plastic as you all know, but I wonder if a ground wire to the frame (a lot of metal there) might work as a suitable rf ground ...

Dom In Philly
    Dom in So. Philadelphia
    2005 GL1800 ABS
    GWRRA, HRCA, IBA, STOC, NRA

My 'cycle trips:

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys, heads up.......... The regular Hondaline CB antenna works just fine......... I have used my 5 watt handheld for years on bike with this set up....... You just get the proper connections to hook into antenna or make your own with PL259's............ I just made my own , as I dont have CB installed on bike.........

The 2 meter only uses the portion of antenna up to center load.. just like a dual band antenna does.......... I checked the SWR and it's 1.3 thru most of the 2 meter band range.......... Works like a charm......... Just try it and see what SWR readings you get with your CB antenna........ I have done this with 2 other Wings and same SWR readings.........

I run my HT in the left box with aux hookup....... this lets me hear thru external speakers or headsets........ works really well......... Hope this helps Bob

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dom,

I agree with Bob, the CB antenna will work on 2M. I ran a 2M HT for a while, but changed to CB since most of the people I ride with are not Hams. Now I'm an Extra Class CB Radio Operator

Another option is staying with the rubber duck antenna if using an HT. As far as ground is concerned, use the ground located in the trunk. It's there to ground the OEM CB.

Hope this helps.

73's (ko4cx)
    Alabama IronButt

It's the Journey, not the Destination

1963 Cushman Silver Eagle
    1966 Sears Allstate 250
    Iron Butt Member 21872
    Patriot Guard Member

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am planing to use the Firestick 2M4B adapted to the Honda CB antenna base, at least to start with. The biggest problem I can see is that there will be little or no ground plane provided by the bike. One solution would be to cover the inside of the trunk with foil tape and mount a dual-band 5/8 wave in in the center. Of course if you have a trailer hitch the best installation would be a Hustler CG-144 2 mounted on the hitch.

Good luck, and please post your results.
    Bill
    kg5ie
    Harley Davidson FLSTC

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

just use a 1/4 wave coax bazooka feeder for both 144 and 440, dont forget a 1.3 swr is %11 loss or 2-3 S points.

Nigel

DE G0JKN
    A married man should forget anything he does wrong... no point in two people remembering!!
    2008 GL1800
    2001 Ducati M4 monster
    2002 R1 - sold
    2001 GL1800A1 TE - Sold
    2001 ST1100 - son has this
    1996 CB1000 - sold

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Nigelf

The standard for a S unit is 6 db.... So if you lose 2 S units, your signal is down 12 db or you have over 95 per cent LOSS !!!! And if it is 3 S units down, that is 18db down or 99 per cent LOSS !!!

Loss based on SWR is feed line loss and depends on the length of the line, Some COAX will have a lot more loss than others.

The Frame of the GL-1800 will work just fine for the ground plane on two meters and up !!! It even works well on 80 and 40 meters which I operate at times mobile on the bike !! I generally will be found on the CW portion of the band when Motorcycle Mobile !!

73 es CUL de KA7W sk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: GL1800 CB like antenna for ham radio?

Quote Originally Posted by DomPA894
    Does anyone know of a source for a gl1800 CB radio-like antenna for ham radio use?

I'd hate to drill a hole in the trunk lid for a 2 meter or 146/440 ham antenna ...

Thanks in advance.
    You might check the MARC (motorcycle amature radio club)http://www.ba-marc.org/ web page, maybe you can find some good info there or from the members who ride bikes and are Amature Radio Ops..

Poldawg
    2002 - GL1800
    "Yellow-Fever"

Post Thanks / Like

Default antennas

My fellow ham has his Kenwood dualbander mounted where the cd changer would go and has used the following for an antenna. he acquired a am/fm/cb splitter for combining the radio and the cb to the cb antenna, then mounted a diamond dual band antenna on the am/fm antenna base. this required butchering the am/fm base but the result is really good. the diamond will mount to a so239 barrel, with the threads of the lower half of the barrel machined off it will fit inside the chrome base. It is held there by two short (must be short enough not to contact the center conductor) machine screws. The coax rg-58 is soldered directly to slots dremeled in the bottom of the barrel and the center conductor to a pin pushed into the barrel. This thing looks like it belongs on the bike except for the load coil. The diamond and a clone being sold on e-bay both have fold-over and are about the length of the stock am/fm antenna. Tried to attach a photo fo his antenna, no luck. anyone wants a look e-mail me and will send direct. or if someone can tell me how to post a photo.
    Rick
    Adrenalin, my drug of choice.

Post Thanks / Like

I removed both anntenna whips from the foldovers, they just unscrew with a little effort, and drilled and tapped the foldovers to 3/8 x 24 thread. Now I can use just about any antenna I want.
    Darksider #423

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GL_Bob
    I removed both anntenna whips from the foldovers, they just unscrew with a little effort, and drilled and tapped the foldovers to 3/8 x 24 thread. Now I can use just about any antenna I want.

I want to do this to add a Firestik 2-meter to the bike. Can someone tell me if both the std. and CB bases are the same? That is, if I want to tap it to 3/8 x 24 does it matter whether I get a CB antenna base or another am/fm base for the other side?
    Bill
    kg5ie
    Harley Davidson FLSTC

Post Thanks / Like

I installed my 2m/440 dualband Kenwood D700A last February. MARC assisted me with the install (I am also a MARC member).

years of experience in the MARC club has dictated that the best HAM radio reception will not be had by a side mounted antenna, (ie Honda's CB antenna location). Also drilling a hole in the trunk will result in nothing more than a bigger hole in the trunk when the pressure from the antenna exceeds the strength of the trunk lid.

The antenna will also require a much better ground than what is provided by Honda to the side mounted antennas.

Best reception is provided by a HAM antenna built for the frequency you wish to use. For most of our applications mounting the antenna to the most rearward postion of a metal luggage rack that has been grounded to the motorcycle frame works out the best, The mounting feet of the luggage racks have been reenforced with 2.5"x1.5" plates to prevent trunk lid cracking. It has also been found that Comet antennas are the most durable for use on a motorcycle. This has been achived by their company working with MARC to purpose build antennas designed for the special needs of motorcycles.

I have a picture album on Flickr taken during the HAM radio install on my 2005 GL1800. Perhaps these pictures will speak better than my words for installation ideas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_sh...7594059378489/
    2005 GL1800A Bright Blue Metallic
    GWBBA #58
    Darkside #527
    195/55R-16 Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP RunFlat
    A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be...
    -Albert Einstein

Where is Paul?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Paul,

Is this a Kury luggage rack?

Thanks,

Bill
    kg5ie
    Harley Davidson FLSTC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kg5ie
    Paul,

Is this a Kury luggage rack?

Thanks,

Yes it is a Kury, tubular racks also work well for antenna mounting.
    GWBBA #58
    Darkside #527
    -Albert Einstein

Where is Paul?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, but does the cover fit over the antenna? and does it fold over. I still would not do that to my rack, and the install represents a elevated ground by about 1/4 wavelength, not a good practice. You state the side mounted antenna to be poorly grounded, not true unless you did not remove the paint from the strap. BTW I have worked in the radio department of our local telco since 1980 on everything from dc to light literaly, I have some idea of what I speak. Grounding is probably the most important part of a good radio system.
    Rick
    Adrenalin, my drug of choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VE7RY
    Nice, but does the cover fit over the antenna? and does it fold over. I still would not do that to my rack, and the install represents a elevated ground by about 1/4 wavelength, not a good practice. You state the side mounted antenna to be poorly grounded, not true unless you did not remove the paint from the strap. BTW I have worked in the radio department of our local telco since 1980 on everything from dc to light literaly, I have some idea of what I speak. Grounding is probably the most important part of a good radio system.
    Rick
    Yes the motorcycle cover does fit over the antenna, it folds flat over the passengar back rest, similar in operation to the Honda antennas.

The side mount ground is obvioulsy fixable as you mentioned, (Honda seems to always do a poor job assembling in this area), but there is also a small problem of lost signal due to the position of the antenna, mostly in relation to the AM/FM antenna on the other side of the trunk. It will work, just not as well as mounting the HAM antenna further back. Then there is consideration for distance between the passengar's and rider's head and the transmissions from the Antenna. With the D700A cranked up to full power it will pump out 40 watts, I'd like to keep that amount of power as far away from my and my wife's head as possiable. I usually run low power (7-8 watts If I remember right), with all the repeaters we have around here, I don't need high power most of the time.

As fas as the rest goes, I'm relaying what we have found works best on motorcycles based on 15+ years of the club experimenting on dozens of bikes and many thousands of miles. Doesn't mean it is the only solution, just one that I know works and works very well. Obviously a motorcycle does not provide a "optimal" platform for any kind of radio, sometimes it suprises me it works at all

If anyone is interested in talking to the "Real" experts in my club, MARC's website is http://www.marc-hq.org
    GWBBA #58
    Darkside #527
    -Albert Einstein

Where is Paul?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Had my Kenwood TM-D700 mounted on my GL1500 Goldwing for years, but when I sold that bike and got my 05 GL1800 I did not initially install the radio.

When I finally got tired of the speedometer error and took the bike apart to install a speedo-healer, I figured I might as well run all the wiring I would need to put the Kenwood on the bike, but didn't really plan to actually do so at that time.

Well, it only took me two days after I had the wiring run to decide it was time to put the radio on the bike. It's nice to have it back, I did miss having it.

Thanks to folks on these forums for putting enough information out there to get my motivated to tearing into the bike enough to put the radio back on.

Built an NMO mount into my Kury trunk rack. Most of the time I will run a quarter wave UHF (about 6") which is very unobtrusive - but when I want/need a better antenna I can put a regular dual band on.

Carl
    N7KUW

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.