Ride ideas, Memphis, TN. to ST. Louis, MO, to Kansas City,KS
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ride ideas, Memphis, TN. to ST. Louis, MO, to Kansas City,KS

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ride ideas, Memphis, TN. to ST. Louis, MO, to Kansas City,KS

Hello to All,
    My wife and I are riding from Memphis, TN. to ST. Louis, MO, to Kansas City, KS. We need some ride ideas. Great roads, things to see and do,
    what not to miss along the way. Have not picked out a route yet so any
    ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

ted mayer

when are you leaving? I am in raleigh,nc. and plan to ride to louisville this weekend. I plan to leave louisville on Sun 10/8 heading west. Let me know if this may work with your plans. Ted Mayer

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some details

You didn't say how much time you have to make this trip. Do you have to go through St. Louis? You could cut through Arkansas and/or southern MO and up to KC.

If you have to go through St. Louis, you could stop in Sikeston and eat at Lamberts. You could make a slight jog and stop at Elephant Rocks State Park. You could go to the St. Louis Arch.

You could take hwy 100 at Washington MO over to Herman and visit the MO wine country. Beautiful roads and the Winery's are top shelf. You could take 94 West and follow the MO river. Beautiful ride.

You could take the Great River Road up from Memphis to St. Louis.

If you don't have to be in St. Louis you could come across Arkansas and or southern MO on a variety of roads.

If you have to go to St Louis try to time it so that you don't have to ride at rush hours in the a.m. or p.m. traffic is a mess around St. Louis.
    John

Black "02 (no more)
    2005 BMW Z4 ( New Toy )
    IBA #24689
    GWRRA, HRCA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replys. We are still a few weeks away from going.
    We will be taking about a week for the trip. Going to ST. Louis to
    see the Arch for sure. Thanks for the ideas on rides & eats. Wine
    country sounds interesting.

Thank you
    Bob

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure and see the transportation Museum while in St Louis. Lot's of old Trains, Car's and Bikes there.
    My GPS says "Estimated Arrival Time." I see "Time to Beat."

Jerry
    '06 Dark Red Wing, '02 Burple VTX-R
    PGR Member #168
    South Central
    Regional Ride Captain
    OK-TX-AR-MO-KS
    IBA# 28658
    US Army Airborne '74/'77

Post Thanks / Like

If you're going I-40/64 to hook up with I-70 then a couple miles after crossing the Missouri River take 94 south toward Defiance. This is a popular road with its scenery, sweeping curves and wineries. You can take short side trip to Daniel Boone's home off 94 as well. Best to ride this during the week when traffic is only local.

Defiance is a popular hangout for the HD crowd with a couple of bars at the two 90 degree turns in the road, and it's a relatively short ride from St. Louis.

There are perhaps 4 wineries along 94, the most famous is in Augusta. The winery is nice and has a nice overlook out back where you can sit after getting some 'supplies'.

94 runs into the tiny town of Dutzow. There is a good diner you'll pass on the right in town that has a gravel lot. The food is good and reasonable and is popular with the locals. I like riding there for breakfast early Saturdays. You've gotta be a customer, though, to use the restroom.

Just outside Dutzow you'll T into 47.

About 4 miles to the left is the town of Washington. It's a pretty neat little town on the Missouri River to spend a some time.

Turn right on 47 and you'll run into I-70 in about 20 miles in Warrenton.

It's a nice break from the fun and excitement of I-70 to KC.

Have a great trip!
    Twyn

'61 Wife
    '80 Son
    '92 Daughter
    '95 Son
    '03 Illusion Blue
    IBA #23569
    Hoop It Up Embroidery
    Hoopitupemb@Charter.net

"I'm living for the moment when time will be no more." - The Booth Brothers

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Highway 21 north to St Louis

I would also suggest taking Highway 21 north,it starts between Poplar Bluff and Van Buren(home of Big Springs--largest single springs in the US) 21 goes by some interesting state parks--Elephant Rocks for one. 21 ends south of St. Louis.
    Going west from St Louis I agree that the Wine country around Augusta is worth the drive.
    From Memphis there are no really great roads, unless you like farm land, lots of beans, cotton and rice fields.

Post Thanks / Like

OsarksF6 definately has the right idea. If you have to come direct from St. Louis to KCK, you want to stay off I-70 as much as possible.

Other routes are I-44 west from St. Louis to Highway 50, and Highway 50 all the way in to the KC metro area. 50 is a nice, clean, smooth road the whole way which is quite the opposite of I-70.

However, if you can find reliable roads north of I-70 to use, I can tell you from experience that the state highways west of Marshall and Lexington, MO, are beautiful rides, as well. Specifically 65 west of Marshall to Lexington, then cross the river and catch 210 west in to the KC area. Nice civil war battleground to stop and walk around at in Lexington.

As someone else mentioned, Hermann is a neat town to check out if you are south of I-70.

No matter what, if you haven't caught my drift, stay off of I-70 between KC and St. Louis. Miserable.

2005 Silver Honda GL1800
    Silver CycleMate trailer

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

We moved from KCMO to Ala and in riding there for several job interviews, we rode different rides over that trips. Skip St.Louis, ride out of Memphis on the Highway 63 to West Plains, Mo. Then ride highway 150 then Highway 63 to Springfield. Then higway 13 to Clinton. Highway 7 to Harrisonville, Highway 71 to the KCMO area. Great ride, curves and good roads. The river road is very disappointment. Ride the Ozarks, you will never regret it. By the way going through St. Louis going to KCMO will add over 200 miles to your trip but you get to ride a lot of bumpy interstate miles.
    2006 Navi Goldwing
    Non Darksider # 851,650

Post Thanks / Like

Default While in St. Louis

Try to make sure you stay away from I-64/40 in St. Louis. They are starting construction and closing the highway a bit at a time. Traffic is already starting to be a real mess. Stick to I-55 or I-44. The winery suggestions posted earlier are great. Highway 94 is a nice ride with a number of wineries.

I just picked up my new Goldwing and wish I could ride along with you.
    2007 GL1800 Black Cherry, Premium/Audio/Nav

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.