GL1800Riders Forums banner

Interesting article on safety clothing

6K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  31261 
#1 ·
#27 ·
With all the "testing" the moto mags do, I wish they would do testing of protective equipment, instead of just how it looks and how comfy it is. Of course, it costs money I know.

But it would be informative if they would throw some jackets and pants on a mannequin or even over a sack of old rags, throw it off the back of a pick up truck at 45 mph or so and drag it for a few hundred feet. That might actually show something useful in comparing the fabrics.

#28 ·
I'm gonna give my experience in a slide and abrasion; I fell while riding a bicycle wearing you know what, nylon bicycle jersey. I went out the day after some rain and freezing temps over night, hit an ice patch and went down, only going about 2 mph at the time. I never touched pavement, the slide was on nothing but ice and it didn't do any damage to my jersey. HOWEVER, the slide alone, caused a nice 'road rash'.

The friction from sliding can cause some damage if the jacket (jersey in this case) allows heat build up.

#30 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.