Prestone VS Honda Antifreeze
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prestone VS Honda Antifreeze

Contributing Member Kenny Williamson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Prestone VS Honda Antifreeze

Is it ok to use an over the counter antifreeze in a GL1800 or should you stick with Honda Brand?

Thanks
    Kenny
    GWNUTCS1

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You should use what is made for aluminum. Stick with Honda brand, it's pre-mixed to 50-50. I just changed my coolant. Save the frustration and uncertainity and stick with OEM stuff...only $16 a gallon. JMHO
    Bob
    03 Candy Red
    Wichita, Ks

Words to live by...Never turn your back on a Procotologist!

Click for larger image

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Other brands are OK BUT you need to be sure that they are silicate free. Some antifreeze contains silicate which will do nasty things to seals in the wing.

Default Re: Prestone VS Honda Antifreeze

should you stick with Honda Brand?

Thanks
    Kenny[/quote]
    Yep its ok they all mix these day's I bought some at walmart that was premix and I use it in my tacoma pick up and the wing, it's safe.

Post Thanks / Like

local Honda Motorcycle Dealer - (50/50 premix) $6.59 Qt + tax

Local Honda Car Dealer - (50/50 premix) $12.92 gal + tax

Same Honda Antifreeze for aluminum engines, silicate free.

Panentheist -- Mystic
    Who can overcome him, whose mind is stayed on God...

Walk humbly before God; do justice; love mercy; and seek by prayer to God, looking within yourself, what He requires of you.
    10 gl1800a Candy Caliente Red - - - - 02 gl1800a Pearl Sunburst Orange
    Darksider #0013

Post Thanks / Like

I like the green kind
    Reminder Heath Insurance -is NOT Health Care - Hope you can find a Doctor that accepts it.

IBA # 40576

1974 Honda 550
    1979 GL 1000
    1998 Valkyie
    1999 GL 1500
    2001 HD Ultra Classic
    2002 ABS GL 1800
    2006 CVO Ultra Classic SE
    2008 ABS L3 GL 1800
    2012 ABS L3 GL 1800

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is silicate and what antifreeze has it in it.Lots of aluminum engines out there.
    hazle
    And the commoners were more than satisfied to have their environmental and social rules created by an esteemed, highly educated person hence helmet laws where mostly commoners reside

Post Thanks / Like

Prestone extended life 5/150 anti freeze is silicate , phosphate free ..

Silicates are fine particles of silica / sand type material
    Tony....

2013 Red AirBag Goldwing. Built 10-2012, VIN ends in 00029..

On Work Release @ Soggy South Orygun Coast
    Post Thanks / Like

Use whatever you want. Your bike, your choice. If you trade bikes often enough, its the next guy that has to worry about it, not you. But if you plan on riding it a long time, is it worth even thinking about something 'that is supposed to be as good as' ? For five bucks every two years?
    Happiness keeps you sweet, trials keep you strong, sorrows keep you human,
    failures keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only God keeps you going

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    And the commoners were more than satisfied to have their environmental and social rules created by an esteemed, highly educated person hence helmet laws where mostly commoners reside

beastie

I have not changed anti freeze in my Wing yet, but at 32,000 miles I probably should. I have used Prestone in my Honda cars for 20 years and I think they have aluminum engines.

Titanium06

I wonder if Honda's antifreeze factory is anything like there Oil refinery, I think not. the only thing that they might call there own is the Label after negotiating each year for the supplier. They have probobly had more suppliers than all of us could come up with on this board.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beastie
    I have not changed anti freeze in my Wing yet, but at 32,000 miles I probably should. I have used Prestone in my Honda cars for 20 years and I think they have aluminum engines.
    I think some of Prestones do have silicate in them. I have found a couple others that do not.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beastie
    I just changed mine at 63k and it did not look bad at all. The coolant in the overflow tank was as clean as a pin, no sediment at all. Go figure!
    Bob
    03 Candy Red
    Wichita, Ks

Words to live by...Never turn your back on a Procotologist!

Click for larger image

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

use honda premix. go to the honda CAR dealer, much cheaper, same stuff and the crush washers are cheaper too.
    it is very certain that, when it is not in your power to determine what is true, we ought to act according to what is most probable. rene descartes(1596-1650)
    2002 metallic silver
    2005 dodge 2500
    2004 mercedes SL500
    schwinn mountain bike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barncobob
    use honda premix. go to the honda CAR dealer, much cheaper, same stuff and the crush washers are cheaper too.
    Actually they are about the same price here. $3.99 quart at the Honda MC dealer and $15.99 gal at the Honda car dealer. The car dealer's antifreeze is now blue, and the MC is still green, I think. Both are silicate free and mixed with ionized H2O. Take your pick. I just flushed the system yesterday and the original coolant was looking a bit old.
    '05 GL1800A Dark Grey Metallic
    IBA #26626--SS1K, SS2K, BBG, 48/10
    AMA--Colorado Rascals
    Life is so simple, but we insist on making it complicated. _ Confucius 551-479 BC

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In my experience the organic acid based antifreezes are not appropriate for our engines. I would either stay with Honda antifreeze or consider Toyota branded fluid. I have had especially good luck with Toyota branded fluids. Both are silicate free. There are reported problems in trying to mix the traditional ethylene glycol and the long life orange coolants. They have very different chemistry. Can you really be sure of getting out all the old coolant? I also recommend that you use distilled water when using fluid that requires added water.
    Don
    2003 GL1800A

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that standard Prestone coolant does contain silicate. But their extended life coolant definitely does not.
    On the Prestone Extended Life bottle it says it will mix with any color coolant.
    If Honda's coolant was required to be used in our GL1800's to maintain the warranty they'd have to provide it to us for free.
    When I change the coolant in my Goldwing it will get Prestone extended life because that's what I use in my other vehicles.
    If it makes you feel better to use a coolant with Honda's name on the bottle then by all means use it. Just realize that you don't have to.
    Ralph Wenzl

From Prestone's web site:
    http://www.prestone.com/carcare/faq.php

Q. Does PrestoneŽ Antifreeze/Coolant contain phosphates?
    A. Some European automobile manufacturers request that a phosphate-free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. This issue is related to the extremely high mineral content of the water in Europe. If you were to mix an antifreeze that contained phosphates with the type of water they have in Europe, it may produce deposits that can settle in the cooling system and promote corrosion. However, in North America we do not have this type of water problem. Typical North American coolants have contained phosphates (which is part of the corrosion inhibitor package) for many years. Therefore, the question of phosphates is a non-issue here in North America. PrestoneŽ Antifreeze/Coolant is completely safe for use in both foreign and domestic vehicles. For those consumers who would feel more comfortable using a phosphate-free antifreeze, our PrestoneŽ Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant is phosphate, silicate, and borate free. This coolant uses a special chemistry and technology that extends the life of the corrosion inhibitor package so that it lasts for five years or 150,000 miles (whichever comes first), and is safe for all cars and light trucks (old or new). PrestoneŽ Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant has been approved by General Motors under their DEX-COOLŽ specifications and is compatible with other DEX-COOLŽ approved coolants.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This website has some good information on the use of antifreeze.

http://www.motor.com/MAGAZINE/Articles/081999_11.html
    Don
    2003 GL1800A

Contributing Member Kenny Williamson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW! Really some great information. Thanks
    GWNUTCS1

Post Thanks / Like

Beastie you should not! go to a honda car dealer get the right stuff, or napa has silicate free if you look
    Do it all now you may not be able to do it Later

Post Thanks / Like

Evans ... best coolant ever hands down ... I have used it in all my race toys .....

even when you over heat it will not boil out !! you cant beat that !

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.