GL1800Riders Forums banner

Can't catch a break ... aging Wing

3K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  pidjones 
#1 ·
Well after just finishing up another thread about my 04 Wing with 221K miles on it after 7 years of riding it's down for maintenance again. I just got it back on the road and out of the shop with all new coolant hoses two days ago and this was my first full day's ride. At the end of the ride close to home (thankfully) it appears from the oil blown up on me and the left side of the bike I have a blown Fork Seal on that side now. I just can't catch a break and now riding season is really here.

I know this may be an easy fix for some but for the mechanically challenged it looks like some work involved here and I'd hate to get in over my head by attempting it. I'm reviewing my options and Fred's DVD for how I might tackle this job myself. In addition I found plenty of threads on this topic already that will provide a lot of help.

I guess my questions is since I've already committed to continue to ride this bike towards 300k what would be the easiest, quickest and best fix? Should I upgrade to another solution (i.e. progressive springs)? I'm not sure I have the expertise to pull that off so may be easier to stick with just fixing what's wrong. However, I will probably do the same "fix" to both front forks so as to keep them working going forward.

Any suggestions for the mechanically challenged? I hate to go back to the dealer and pay to have this work done but the NOT riding is starting to kill me.

Maybe I'll go get me a new one (2010 perhaps) and keep this one in the garage to work on and learn from how to work on Wing from time to time and ride occasionally.

I'm so bummed out. All I want to do is ride ... is that asking to much?

Always something ... guess I shouldn't complain since over 200K and this is the first serious issue regarding the front forks.

Opinions or suggestions welcomed

Thanks .... Donnie

See less See more
#3 ·
You have done exceptionally well to get that kind of mileage out of your finely tuned machine with a minimum of maintenance. If you are going to keep the bike and continue to ride it you might begin systematically going through and checking wear items such as seals, bearings, etc. You should expect to have to spend a little money and have some down time as well. I like the idea of having the new bike to ride while the barely broke in bike gets a little TLC. Either way though it sounds like you are going to have to give up some ride time on the older bike in order to keep it trustworthy on the road.

#4 ·
Don't Forget

Don't forget to replace the bushings when you replace the seals or you will find yourself re-doing what you just replaced in no time....:thumbup:

#5 ·
Don't forget to replace the bushings when you replace the seals or you will find yourself re-doing what you just replaced in no time....:thumbup:

+1
I'd replace them even if they look good.
Check the upper forks for nicks, there not that expensive if they need replacing.

#6 ·
Keeping the old girl going will be the least costly alternative. If those are the original springs in there..... replace them with anything for an improvement for the next 75,000 miles

#8 ·
Damn, you've got some miles on your wing---impressive.

As part of the routine maintenance fork seals should be replaced with new oil at least every other year (to protect the spring coil). Shock oil has a tendency lose its viscosity causing seepage in the seals or soft suspension issues.

I'd be money you're going to love new oil in your springs. Consider rebuilding the rear shock while you're at it.

#10 ·
Well after just finishing up another thread about my 04 Wing with 221K miles on it after 7 years of riding it's down for maintenance again. I just got it back on the road and out of the shop with all new coolant hoses two days ago and this was my first full day's ride. At the end of the ride close to home (thankfully) it appears from the oil blown up on me and the left side of the bike I have a blown Fork Seal on that side now. I just can't catch a break and now riding season is really here.

I know this may be an easy fix for some but for the mechanically challenged it looks like some work involved here and I'd hate to get in over my head by attempting it. I'm reviewing my options and Fred's DVD for how I might tackle this job myself. In addition I found plenty of threads on this topic already that will provide a lot of help.

I guess my questions is since I've already committed to continue to ride this bike towards 300k what would be the easiest, quickest and best fix? Should I upgrade to another solution (i.e. progressive springs)? I'm not sure I have the expertise to pull that off so may be easier to stick with just fixing what's wrong. However, I will probably do the same "fix" to both front forks so as to keep them working going forward.

Any suggestions for the mechanically challenged? I hate to go back to the dealer and pay to have this work done but the NOT riding is starting to kill me.

Maybe I'll go get me a new one (2010 perhaps) and keep this one in the garage to work on and learn from how to work on Wing from time to time and ride occasionally.

I'm so bummed out. All I want to do is ride ... is that asking to much?

Always something ... guess I shouldn't complain since over 200K and this is the first serious issue regarding the front forks.

Opinions or suggestions welcomed

Thanks .... Donnie
it all comes down to time and money....combined with how you feel about doing a fork job.

i was in the same spot.. a seal went at around 90K... i did not want to tackle the forks right then... not enough time to invest... took it to the dealer.... under $200 and i was back riding in 2 days.... money well spent as it would have taken me weeks to get to the job due to lack of time and my want of riding....

take it to the dealer and get back to riding... after all those miles what's a few hundred bucks :cool:

#11 ·
221K on a motorcycle. Man, that's really something. In my younger day, quite a few years ago, Chevy's and Fords ('60s era) were mostly lucky to get 90k out of them before the engine(s) had to come out, trans, and diffs, oh and not to mention, up to three complete brake jobs in that mileage. It's just amazing that the technology has improved so much that a Goldwing can get upwards of 300k and still run better than a Singer Sewing machine.

I purchased a '94 1500 SE about 8 months ago with 145K on it and was amazed that it simply purred at idle. Every once in a while it would put out a puff of smoke at start up but, then shortly there after, it would clean up and run flawless. I was a carbureted version though so, it would smell a lot richer than my 1800.

Anyway, to the OP, I'd keep her, treat her to what she needs, try and learn to do as much (repair) of it your self as you can. Between the Service Manual, and the instructional DVDs that are out there, and a friend who's willing to lend some advice/time/help, I think you could keep her around for another 221K. I wonder, what the most VERIFIED mileage Wing there is out there that's still in service today. Hmmmmm.
Scott

#12 ·
Donnie, If you haven't replaced springs and oil lately, just go ahead and find a shop that can do that for you. It should be ~$400 to replace springs, seals and bearings. About 1 month's payment on a new steed.

#13 ·
If you don't want to tackle the entire job yourself, one option may be to remove the forks and take them into the dealer and pay them to rebuild it for you. This will reduce your cost you have to pay significantly.

It's probably time for new fork oil and bushings anyway, so I'd probably just have them do both forks, and replace the seals and bushings in both.

#14 ·
Like Fred said only I would take them to an independent shop as they would be cheaper and anybody can rebuild the forks. Order some Progressive springs and they'll drop them in for you. Takeing the forks off and on is just turning bolts. Not much mechanical ability needed. I've done it several times and haven't killed my self yet.

#15 ·
donnie redo your seals

Donnie I had my seals redone at 150,000 km last year at the local Honda dealer. it was easy and painless. with all the other stuff I did it cost me about $500. However I also thought about doing it myself but I think you need at least one special "Honda" tool that I dont have and so it was an easy choice for me. I'm happy to see that you are still keeping your bike

Milt

#16 ·
If you are going to rebuild the fork, don't cheap out. Get the full seals, bushings, etc. If you or someone else is there the deed is done on labor and the entire rebuild kit is around $60 per the guy that did mine.
Springs? Yes. You are there and they have to go to get to all the seals and bushings so why not. They drop in. Do your research and decide if you want Traxxion or Progressive or what. BTW, that is a whole rant in itself. Both can be had for less than $130, so not bad in the grand scheme of things.
It has to be done so do it all while you are there and pay for it once.

YMMV

#17 ·
If you are going to rebuild the fork, don't cheap out. Get the full seals, bushings, etc. If you or someone else is there the deed is done on labor and the entire rebuild kit is around $60 per the guy that did mine.
Springs? Yes. You are there and they have to go to get to all the seals and bushings so why not. They drop in. Do your research and decide if you want Traxxion or Progressive or what. BTW, that is a whole rant in itself. Both can be had for less than $130, so not bad in the grand scheme of things.
It has to be done so do it all while you are there and pay for it once.

YMMV
Yes ... after all the input and watching Fred H. video today of the how to do a fork rebuild I believe this may be too much of a first project for me working on the Wing not to mention I have no lift or adequate tools. I ordered the Progressive springs today from HDL (not currently in stock but expected withing 2 days) and will be having the work done by someone local who knows what they are doing replacing all bushings and seals on both fork legs as well. I already have the all steel bearing in there.

It just needs to be done and I'll just have to be patient.

Thanks for everyone's comments - especially Flyguy405 (Marc) for our discussion today on this subject.

Donnie

#20 ·
Take a thin piece of plastic or mylar (like a piece cut from a thin bubble-package) and run it down through the dust seal and oil seal, and around to see if you can clear out bug guts lodged in it. The rubber has probably dried and cracked from age, but this might get you riding for a few weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.