GL1800Riders Forums banner

Paperwork to Get Spare Key from Dealership?

8K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  Just Joey 
#1 ·
I know that the government is designed to protect those that can't protect themselves but this latest by Missouri is plain BS!
Went to the Honda Dealership that fixed my throttle cable several months ago to get a new key. The mechanic told me that I had to provide proof of ownership and a government issued ID card to get the key made by them! I asked for the service manager and he said the law came into effect 90 days ago. It is now a requirement for car and motorcycle dealerships to copy proof of ownership and ID to sell a key.
I took them the paperwork and got the key. Has anyone else run into something that ridiculous? You can work on my baby without proof of ownership but you can't cut me a key without it????? What gives?

#2 ·
Was that for a lost key or just a duplicate?
Here you have to show registration and the vin # plus ID if you have lost the key. As far as duplicates they just cut them when you have the key without having to show proof of anything. Unless that has changed here recently too.

#5 ·
Oh now I see it in the title. Spare key. I don't understand why they would want proof of ownership then. If you already have the key you most certainly can use it for the obvious. that's just goofy:shrug:

#6 ·
I know that the government is designed to protect those that can't protect themselves but this latest by Missouri is plain BS!
Went to the Honda Dealership that fixed my throttle cable several months ago to get a new key. The mechanic told me that I had to provide proof of ownership and a government issued ID card to get the key made by them! I asked for the service manager and he said the law came into effect 90 days ago. It is now a requirement for car and motorcycle dealerships to copy proof of ownership and ID to sell a key.
I took them the paperwork and got the key. Has anyone else run into something that ridiculous? You can work on my baby without proof of ownership but you can't cut me a key without it????? What gives?
Home Depot or Ace Hardware will duplicate the key.

#7 ·
Ace is the best no questions asked

#8 ·
In Michigan, just had some dupes made at Home Depot. Lowes did not carry the blanks, and our local Aco Hardware had the R version of the blank which does everything but unlock the forks (had to use a dremel to increase the groove length). But the point is - no requirement for the bs of paperwork.

But these were for dupes. To get a replacement where I didn't have the master - I would want the dealer to verify ownership before making the key. I'd hate to have some yahoo look at my vin #, go to the dealer and get a key, then the next thing I find is an empty spot where my bike or car used to be. :wrong:

#10 ·
Same here in pa,if a owner comes in with a key i can duplicate it but if they want me to make a key from the vin # they must have proof of ownership.Thats a good thing or anyone could get the vin # off your dash plate and come and and have me make them a key so they can come steal your car, GET IT ????? .ole yeller mbg pa

#11 ·
I ran across the same thing last year for my vtx. Lost a key and wanted a spare. went to my dealer, been using them for a lot of years. We know each other personally, they come to my church sometimes.
Had to have the title and picture ID. My vtx is 1 of a kind.
Want be long before we have to get a permit with a ID to use the john

#13 ·
You can get a copy made without proof or ID but if you want a key made from a VIN# then you need proof of ownership. Otherwise anyone can get the VIN from a car and go to a dealership and have a key made and steal the car. Makes sense to me

#14 ·
The Bentonville Ar Walmart now has a self service key machine.

Its a little larger than a pop machine, you do it yourself, Im quite sure no goldwing paperwork, or anything is needed.

For me, I bought a GMC pickup, back in 1973, brand new. There was some blurb in the paperwork about keys being made. The keys got locked in, one day. I looked through the front window, copied the vin#, and walked three blocks to a GMC dealer, not even where I bought it. They made me a key from the vin#, and it cost like $1, no proof of anything.

Pretty scary by todays standards, I guess things were more honest back then.

#15 ·
You can get a copy made without proof or ID but if you want a key made from a VIN# then you need proof of ownership. Otherwise anyone can get the VIN from a car and go to a dealership and have a key made and steal the car. Makes sense to me
My thoughts exactly. If you've got a spare and are getting a duplicate made, I see no problem, but if you're walking in with a vin # I would expect some sort of verification, or at least get your 'verified info' on file 'just in case'. e.g. copy of valid ID. Otherwise I would expect license and registration would be a reasonable requirement.

#17 ·
I read that toyota corollas only had like 11 possible keys, about 15 years back. It was likely you could go to the local mall, and find another car, you keys would fit...

Now most have the coded keys, so thats changed for sure.

Any clue how many different key combos on honda wings??

#18 ·
Yea... I would just buy some blanks from EBay - then got o Wally World or Lowe's.

I knew about that law - but it wasn't meant for duplicate keys.. it was meant for replacement keys.

FYI: A Key-smith would have made one for you too - without the paperwork - the law only covers Dealerships.

It is supposed to help prevent thefts - especially with motorcycles which are easily hoisted into the back of a pickup truck and carted away.

As for proof of ownership - - you had plates on it right... and an insurance card... there you go - - Registration and Insurance is proof of ownership.

Leave it to lawyers to try to do something good and screw it all up.

#19 ·
Back right before Christmas I lost my keys to my 99 ford ranger. I called AAA and they sent out the locksmith. He had to hunt the tumbler in the door to get a key code. Used a special key blank with a blade to feel the tumblers. I asked about the VIN# having the key code and he said that stopped years ago. He never checked my ID or vehicle registration, just found the code and cut the key.

#21 ·
Having to show the registration and your driver's license doesn't seem like a big deal to me. :shrug:

#24 ·
The 2 Ace's around here doesn't have a 1800 blank! :frown: What brand blanks do they use? I'm thinking here it was Curtis.
I'm not sure but I will try to find out. I got my key from them to make the glove box / gas door key feb. If you can't find one let me know and I will get a blank and mail it to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.