CASTROL SYNTHETIC Oil
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CASTROL SYNTHETIC Oil

Seasoned Member Snazzy Nazzy Biker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CASTROL SYNTHETIC Oil

Does anyone on the board use or know something about Castrol Synthetic Oil for use in the GL1800????

I have used regular Castrol 20-50 for the life of the bike, . . . . but thought I would try the "synthetic". If you have info, . . . I would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks
    Thank a Teacher if you can read this -- Thank a VETERAN for making it in English!
    Praises & Thank-you's to all the People serving in our MILITARY!
    02 Silver with/ NO CRACKS, NO DRIPS, NO ERRORS!
    DO SOMETHING GOOD IN YOUR LIFE, THAT WILL “OUT-LIVE” YOU!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Chard Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used the Castrol 20/50 Blend for years. I've tried the Castrol 20/50 full synthetic a couple times, but I thought the blend made the Wings shift smoother. YMMV...

IBTrike

Any oil that meets the JASO T903 MA spec (it will be so stated on the bottle) will be fine, as long as you follow the weight recommendation for your riding conditions. 10W-40 is good for most conditions.

Do not use any oil that is called "energy saving", as it may contain moly, and can screw up your wet clutch. Such oils will NOT be certified JASO T903.

IMHO, pure synthetic oil is very expensive, and there isn't any advantage in using it in touring bike.

Ride safe.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used Castrol 10-40 full synthetic for quite a while. I have found it on sale for 5$ a quart and bought a case at a time.[12 bottles] My bike shifts as good as when I tried Amsoil, and is considerably cheaper.
    I don't know if it is really any better than any other oil or not, but you have to choose something and I chose it. I change at 5000 miles because I feel better than longer intervals.
    '08 Pearl White CSC
    '04 Black GL1800
    '04 Black Escapade Elite

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A word of warning about Syntec 20/50. I did some research on this last week when a similar Castrol topic came up.

Syntec 20/50 contains elevated levels of zinc and was created specifically for older classic cars. Castrol recommends that it not be used in any vehicle built after 1993.
    Larry
    2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Castrol 10W40 synthetic here.
    No problems.

2006 Honda Goldwing,titatium with GPS Navigation.
    2004 VTX 1800C,titatium flame paint,K&N air filter.studded stock seat with honda deluxe backrest with rack.
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa,pearl white paint.Yoshimura titatium bolt on exhaust cannisters.
    1982 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD, black paint original,K&N air filter.

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Oil Change

Doing my first oil change. I wanted to use Castrol Synthetic, but it only seems to be available in the "energy conserving" style. Is there a secret Castrol Sythetic that I don't know about?

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is the 20/50 blend appropriate for any climate?

Quote Originally Posted by Red
    I've used the Castrol 20/50 Blend for years. I've tried the Castrol 20/50 full synthetic a couple times, but I thought the blend made the Wings shift smoother. YMMV...
    You live in a hot Florida climate. Do you think this same Castrol 20/50 blend would be appropriate for the cold northern climate? I plan on riding from about March 15 to December 1 in any given year. It can be quite cold late November. I am hoping the heated grips and seats will allow me to ride for at least another month out of the year than what I use to do onmy old bike.

As far as oil, I have read a few of the forum threads on dino vs synthetic oil and have no clear opinion on what is best in a motorcycle. I guess either is fine, kind of depends on what makes you think is best.
    2007 GL1800 Comfort/NAV (21k miles)
    1996 Suzuki VS800 (30k miles)
    Trek bicycle (5k miles)

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: CASTROL SYNTHETIC Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Snazzy Nazzy Biker
    ...If you have info, . . . I would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks
    It's been my experience that most bikes like one brand better than another. My '05 did not like the Castrol synthetic motorcycle oil...rougher shifting and slipped out of fifth gear from time to time.

Your results may be much different.
    8th & I - '73-'75

Post Thanks / Like

On the recommendation of the local Honda GW mechanic, I've used Castrol SYNTEC 20/50 for several years. It is petroleum based by the way. Good oil...Smooth shifing, etc. At 52K I switched to Dawg's AMSOIL and I like it better. JMHO.
    I SPY
    '01 CSC Cobra...Black
    '08 HD FLHT Electra Glide...Black (of course)
    TRIKES & BAGGERS RULE !!! Get used to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I SPY
    On the recommendation of the local Honda GW mechanic, I've used Castrol SYNTEC 20/50 for several years. It is petroleum based by the way. Good oil...Smooth shifing, etc. At 52K I switched to Dawg's AMSOIL and I like it better. JMHO.
    I'm coming to the same conclusion.
    After using the AmsOil the bike shifted MUCH better.
    Then I tried using other oils to see if further shifting improvments could be had
    ... I'm about out of oils to try and found nothing better for shifting
    (I don't think the engine cares what you use)

Next oil change will be back to AmsOil.

Dennis
    ..the bike that turns any twisty road into a theme park..

Life
    what a ride. DS #99. Prowler #00.

​"In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
    The needs of the many outweigh the fears of the few.
    All truth is at first ridiculed, then opposed, and finally self-evident.
    WMWM.US

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryM
    A word of warning about Syntec 20/50. I did some research on this last week when a similar Castrol topic came up.

Syntec 20/50 contains elevated levels of zinc and was created specifically for older classic cars. Castrol recommends that it not be used in any vehicle built after 1993.
    If you look at the formulations for motorcycle and diesel oils you will find that they have higher zinc and phosporus levels than most automotive oils. Elevated zinc levels is a good thing when it comes to lubrication.

In fact - Mobil brought back their 15W-50 synthetic oil last year with a similar formulation. More phosporus, more zinc. A closer formulation to a motorcycle specific oil.
    Current Inventory:
    '06 VTX1300C - '08 FLSTF
    '10 GL1800 - '13 FJR1300
    '14 Kawasaki Versys
    '15 Heritage Softail

Post Thanks / Like

I used the 15-50 Syntec for 12 years/100,000 miles in my GL1500. Very satisfied. I now use Mobil 1 in my 05, no good reason for the change.
    "Ah, beer. The cause of, and the solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
    GWRRA Level 4
    GWRRA 69455
    IBA 14647
    2009 GL1800LE blue with 17K miles
    2005 GL1800A bright silver with over 136k smiles
    1999 Silver Bushtec Turbo+2

Seasoned Member Snazzy Nazzy Biker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for your responses . . . . . . . .

I have noticed an improvement in the shifting of my bike. So, . . . for at least awhile, I am going to try this with not much reservation. I appreciate all of your "experience" on the subject.
    Thank a Teacher if you can read this -- Thank a VETERAN for making it in English!
    Praises & Thank-you's to all the People serving in our MILITARY!
    02 Silver with/ NO CRACKS, NO DRIPS, NO ERRORS!
    DO SOMETHING GOOD IN YOUR LIFE, THAT WILL “OUT-LIVE” YOU!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.