GL1800Riders Forums banner

Hwy 191 - Easter time

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Wolfhound 
#1 ·
22 & 24 April are school vacation days, so I am starting to think of a possible ride up 191 on one of those days. At the moment, I'm focusing on Monday the 24th. Mainly to avoid all weekend traffic in the Pinetop area.

I'm thinking about having breakfast in Safford at 9am, most likely Denny's. Bubba keeps on about the decadent cheeseburgers in Alpine, so I may have to try one...:thumbup:

I'm going to chat with co-workers to see if they are interested as well.

Anyone else interested?

- David

#2 ·
Bar Wallow CBs are tasty. Their chips and salsa are a good munchy while waiting on delivery.

Don't bring you cell phone in the Wallow though.

#4 ·
Gotta feeling I'll be doing some last-minute work that weekend on the bike before my trip a week later...gotta pass.

Y'all choke one down for me, okay??

#5 ·
Don't bring you cell phone in the Wallow though.
So, if I catch your drift correctly...if one brings a cell phone into the restaurant, they may chuck it our the back door? Hhhmmmm, seeing as my department issued cell phone is always ringing, perhaps I should "accidentally" bring it inside with me.

Of course, I'll have to feign ignorance to the local custom in having the cell ring loud, true and long...

hhhhhmmmmmmmmm

Ride = 22 April / Retirement = 25 May / Really no time for punitive value / hhhhmmmmmm :twisted:

#6 ·
Last time I was there, there were signs at every table and booth as well as plastered all over the walls. I think it read "No Cell Phones, No Kidding"

Actually, I like their policy. :thumbup:

#8 ·
Last April...right around this time...the road was clear of snow, but still quite dirty at the top.

Flyguy, bubba1, oldguy and I were all slipping and sliding around on the crap on the road...but it was still a fun ride - all the way until bubba lost it & hurt his foot and flyguy and I got hit with performance awards.

Fun times... :shrug:

#10 ·
Last April...right around this time...the road was clear of snow, but still quite dirty at the top.

Flyguy, bubba1, oldguy and I were all slipping and sliding around on the crap on the road...but it was still a fun ride - all the way until bubba lost it & hurt his foot and flyguy and I got hit with performance awards.

Fun times... :shrug:

Even with the stunt riding it was a great time. All I could think of was "don't lose it now because I could never get it fixed in time for the MTF's 50CC." :)

When and where did you catch the attention of the LEOs? Had to be around Safford.

#12 ·
Nope we were heading back into Show Low from Springerville on 60, when Marc and Ken were nabbed.
I thought Marc runs with a radar detector. I know if they are really trying to give tickets instead of slowing traffic down they can surprise you but still rotten luck. I figured Safford because they really work that area but there are a couple of places on 60 where they are active as well.

Course I'm one to talk...was running late the other day and took the back route from Green Valley to work. I had my mind already at work when they flashed me....you really have to be asleep at the wheel for that to happen but it did.

#14 ·
I rode 191 yesterday & the road was pretty clean, clear &Big Fun as always! Saw a bit of snow along the road between Blue Vista & Hannagan Meadow. Going to be a great summer of riding up there for sure. I bet I've ridden Morenci to Alpine well over 30 times since 1973 !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.