Helmet with Flip Down Inner Sun Visor
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Helmet with Flip Down Inner Sun Visor

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Helmet with Flip Down Inner Sun Visor

My wife dropped my Caberg helmet on the concrete and cracked the shell. She is willing to replace it with one of similar price and I'm wondering if there is a better one out there with what I want.

I really like the inner sun visor cause you can leave the front visor up and still have protection over your eyes and sun protection with more air. The only complaint I have is they are fairly noisy. Who else makes the helmets with the flip down inner sun visor? I'm not going to spend more than $250 on a helmet.
    Darksider #141

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know if you`re looking for a flip face, however, here`s one that is most likely more money than your Caberg.

http://www.hideout-leather.co.uk/folder ... helmet_c2/

Roger

Fire Eating Member
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW -- I thought a Caberg helmet was a really good helmet.. but if it
    cracked .. just dropping it.. I would hate to think if you were in a crash
    would it protect your head..

cosmic
    05 - CBC GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

The Scorpion 1000 which is just now coming out has that feature
    Pray for Obama- Psalm 109:8
    Let his days be few; and another take his office.

2008 Pearl White DS #463

Post Thanks / Like

HJC is starting to come out with those flip down, on the inside,
    sunshades. But not on the flip-front type.

Overseas, they offer a flip-front with the pull down sunshade. I don't
    understand why we can't get it here?

Herb
    Support our TroopERS.
    2008 Victory Vision, Super Steel Gray
    2006 Honda Reflex, Candy Blue, w/ Tow-Pac
    2005 VN2000 Kawasaki, Black (2053cc)
    2002 GL1800 Honda Goldwing w/ABS, Black
    2002 Bushtec Turbo +2 Trailer, Black

Post Thanks / Like

I have a VOX that I really like when it cools off a little. I'll wear a 3/4 until it stays out of the 80s - get light headed when I overheat. The VOX has the flip-down sunvisor. It is only ~$99 including shipping from http://sterlingtek.com/voxfufaflupm.html.

Pros: great quality for the price, great features, solid construction with design innovations, replacement shields available from Sterlingtek at reasonable price, removable washable liner. Fairly good color and size (from XSM to XXL) choice - including a pink version for the ladies. Good vision to the sides, not too heavy. About the same noise level or a little better than most full face lids. I don't know why, but 3/4 is much quieter for me.

Cons: glue smell takes a while to dissipate, other parts (besides replacement shields) not available yet, Sterlingtek is the only US distributor. No storefront to try them on at (are there any to try on Cabergs?).

I wear a Medium in HJC 3/4 helmets and most others. I bought the Medium VOX and the top fits me great (better than my old Bell), but the cheek pads are a bit snug (not unbearable, but a bit noticeable). I hope that they will break in because replacements are not yet available. I had the same problem with a Lazer Century (now sold as AGV GTO) and was able to buy a set of Large cheek pads from AGV that snapped in and solved my problem on that lid. If someone else starts importing the VOX and includes parts for it, that would make it one of the best deals that you could imagine.

It is DOT and not SNELL rated (I know of no SNELL rated flips). Has added features like a snap on the strap to keep it from flapping (I found the strap way too long and cut it shorter, thus removing the snap). The vents move more air than I expected. Not a lot of air, but still I could notice the difference even on the GL1800 (stock windscreen in bottom position).

I bought it last month and only have about 300 miles on it so far since it is still rather warm here in Tennessee. Probably start wearing it full-time next month. I love the flip-down sunvisor when going into the sun. It should make the fall days with low sun angles much nicer for the commute.
    Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    LIMNCS #632 DS#1085 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP #19
    Trialsman Seminar Videos
    Swapping the Rear Wheel by Laying Her Down (youtube)

Seasoned Member Canyon Dancer in Colorado's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Check out the Schuberth

I have two Schuberth (German made I believe) that have the flip front helmet with the inside flip down sun shield that works independent of the clear visor. We love ours, sometimes going up the Big Thompson Canyon between Loveland and Estes Park at daybreak or dusk, we will flip them down or up 8 to 10 times as we go into mtn shadows and back into bright sunlight. Wouldn't have any other helmet after having these features and getting used to them. They have been dropped (darn) but it hasn't so far damaged anything. Bought mine at the BMW dealer.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to check out the scorpion helmets that are just starting to be shipped. I have not seen it yet myself but my local dealer is expecting them any day and it is on my short list for now. http://tinyurl.com/32dtlt

Amos
    Mad Amos Malone
    IBA # 32650
    LIMNCS #50
    ASE Master, L1, ASME
    NEW!! Now a Mechanical Instructor
    for Nuclear power
    '03 Candy Orange Built 10/02
    Just keep on riding!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g1nomad

Herb
    http://www.hjc-europe.com/hjc_eng/fsmax.php

I am trying to get one here also.

Trev.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough".
    (Mario Andretti)

Silver 06 - since traded for 2013 F700GS BMW

Elite Camper Trailer - looking for a new home

Post Thanks / Like

HJC has released the full face version with the internal sun visor in the states already. My first shipment should arrive by the end of this week. They are telling us that the modular version will be available to dealers in the U.S. late this fall or next spring.
    Here's the full face version.
    http://www.hjchelmets.com/prds_fs10.htm

Caberg has decided not to certify their new model in the U.S. so Cabergs are no longer being sold in the U.S. If you want one, you'll have to find a dealer that has some left in stock. I have some full face Cabergs left and only one modular left.
    VFW Life Member# 9445777
    Darl
    2001 Pearl Blue 1800
    2008 Victory Vegas Jackpot Arlen Ness Edition

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, she didn't exactly just 'drop' it. At least my head wasn't in it. She can be passionate and I tend to zone out when stressed. I'm working on my listening and she's working on raising helmet money. We've learned to fight in a more civilized manner over the last 27 years. This one took us both by surprise. Both of our responsibilities at work have doubled in the past two years. Yes ladies, even old dogs can learn. Mature women even...

Back to the helmet; I like the inner sun shield cause you can raise the main shield to get air and still have sun protection. I usually black out the upper inch or so of the sun shield by taping electrical tape to the inside and when it's up out of the way, my clear shield has full view.

I wear a large HJC and the Caberg was a Large. It does leave a red mark on my forehead. The Scorpion backup has tight cheek pads that keep me in a permanent pucker. Our dealer here doesn't have the Scorpion Exo 1000 yet.

Is that VOX sizing the same?
    Darksider #141

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I, too, have a Schuberth C2 helmet. Best helmet I've ever had. It's the most comfortable for my noggin (oval). The flip-down shield is great. Only problem I've had with it is that, for me, there was no room for headset speakers - I have to use my molded earplug speakers that I plug into a EdSet mic. Other than that I love the helmet.

You guys who have the Schuberth - were you able to get speakers installed?

Mike in Baltimore
    Iron Butt Association
    Darksider #1253
    Full Traxxion
    Centramatics

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Caberg Justissimo GT is supposed to have provisions for installing speakers and a mike. I tried with my new Caberg Justissimo GT and the depressions for the speakers are useless. They are way to the rear and high. I also had difficulty keeping the mike wires from the dongle out of the way of the internal sunshade. I love the helmet though and decided to put the edset unit in my backup HJC which went easily. I use earbuds with the Caberg.
    2001 Illusion Red

Ken

I am having so much fun I should have retired 35 years ago!!!

Seasoned Member Canyon Dancer in Colorado's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No problem

I have "Air Rider" brand speakers in my Schuberth and they seem to fit fine, had them installed by Air Rider in Tenn. They have a 24 hour turnaround when you ship them to them (or did when I had mine done in 2001)

Post Thanks / Like

Herb
    HJC does make a front flip up with sun visor but only sell in in Europe. I am going to make a trip across the pond in the spring and pick up two. I know I have to ride the alps and the lower part of Baveria for a week so I guess that is punishment enough.

MIA SAN ​WELTMEISTER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones
    I have a VOX that I really like when it cools off a little. I'll wear a 3/4 until it stays out of the 80s - get light headed when I overheat. The VOX has the flip-down sunvisor. It is only ~$99 including shipping from http://sterlingtek.com/voxfufaflupm.html.

Pros: great quality for the price, great features, solid construction with design innovations, replacement shields available from Sterlingtek at reasonable price, removable washable liner. Fairly good color and size (from XSM to XXL) choice - including a pink version for the ladies. Good vision to the sides, not too heavy. About the same noise level or a little better than most full face lids. I don't know why, but 3/4 is much quieter for me.

Cons: glue smell takes a while to dissipate, other parts (besides replacement shields) not available yet, Sterlingtek is the only US distributor. No storefront to try them on at (are there any to try on Cabergs?).

I wear a Medium in HJC 3/4 helmets and most others. I bought the Medium VOX and the top fits me great (better than my old Bell), but the cheek pads are a bit snug (not unbearable, but a bit noticeable). I hope that they will break in because replacements are not yet available. I had the same problem with a Lazer Century (now sold as AGV GTO) and was able to buy a set of Large cheek pads from AGV that snapped in and solved my problem on that lid. If someone else starts importing the VOX and includes parts for it, that would make it one of the best deals that you could imagine.

It is DOT and not SNELL rated (I know of no SNELL rated flips). Has added features like a snap on the strap to keep it from flapping (I found the strap way too long and cut it shorter, thus removing the snap). The vents move more air than I expected. Not a lot of air, but still I could notice the difference even on the GL1800 (stock windscreen in bottom position).

I bought it last month and only have about 300 miles on it so far since it is still rather warm here in Tennessee. Probably start wearing it full-time next month. I love the flip-down sunvisor when going into the sun. It should make the fall days with low sun angles much nicer for the commute.

I've had mine for two months and love it! Got one for the wife too. But....temps in the 90's, it's hot! So, I just leave it flipped up.
    "Detour"

'02 Pearl Orange
    '08 Red Motor Trike
    Wet Butt Riders #27051-2.
    Ironbutt #31009
    178,000+ smiles on the '02, 74,000+ on the Trike.
    MAM Member
    "Renovo Ranger"
    "Thrown into the bar" member
    You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm... it's about learning to dance in the rain". BlkPirate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amandabiker
    The Caberg Justissimo GT is supposed to have provisions for installing speakers and a mike. I tried with my new Caberg Justissimo GT and the depressions for the speakers are useless.
    On the Caberg it is better to tie the speakers into the cheek/strap cushions; I used mechanics wire threaded through the EdSet speaker bags to pull in the speaker and compress the cushion. Excellent fit, proper location.
    Bev, we will miss you.

The "Black Pirate" has left us a message. Did you get it?

Florida Prowler 42

coolhand

Don't forget a flip-up fliped up is the same as or less than a 3/4 helmet.

It might be helpful for you to know the typical impact points where helmets have smacked into things (like cars, trucks and concrete). The image above shows the distribution of impact points, based on accident reports from Germany (I think those guys fall and smack their heads pretty much the same as us). Keep these numbers in mind when you are deciding on what style of helmet to buy. In a nutshell, the more facial coverage, the more protection.

Ouch! That drawing makes my jaw and teeth hurt!

Anyway, a friend of mine who attended an accessory dealer meeting told me the Zox folks have a really good flip with a pull down shade visor coming out. I've had Shoei full face helmets since 92 but I'm going to try one of those Zox helmets when they are announced and shipped next month. I'm pretty sure they will be under 200.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wanted a Schuberth for the sunvisor feature, and the fact they advertise a XXXL size. Went to my local friendly BMW dealer (only place I could find Shuberths) and attempted to try on a XXXL Schuberth. Couldn't even get it past my ears. The did say they run small. As for price..they are very pricey..in the vicinity of $450 and up.

Ride long and safe..and good luck on the search for a new helmet.

John
    ETC (SW) USN ret
    The Sabre Group ret
    EDS ret
    '06 GL18HPNAC6 TE

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Plus 1 for the Vox. It is my daily wear and follows the HJC size.
    HAD a 2006 Wing with Sound, Comfort, and Nav. Black of course....the only color for trucks and motorcycles!

Peace Out, Rackin Ray
    LIMNCS #76
    Ex-Spook, Sailor, and still in service.

Post Thanks / Like

We have the Nolan N42's it has the sun visor on the outside - they work independently of each other. And have done the same thing with the electrical tape. I can ride all day in bright sun and not have to wear sunglasses at all.

Laura

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You can install speakers in the Caberg, but not without using the dremel tool. I carved the shape of my speakers into the foam and added a groove for the wires. Pulled out the chin pad (carefully) and cut a hole for the mic off to the side.

It didn't fit right next to my ear though; the strap forced me to move its location slightly. I still heard it well though.
    Darksider #141

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dainese Jet Stream Tourer helmet has what you want, very light, cool, not noisy. I got mine from Belgium. Webbikeworld did a test on it a few month ago. Best helmet I ever had, not DOT approved, it is E rated. Took 1 week to get it, quicker than stuff from USA. Sun shade does not come down far enough for some people, depends how you wear helmet on your head, it was no good for my wife, but perfect for me. Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auswing

Herb
    http://www.hjc-europe.com/hjc_eng/fsmax.php

I am trying to get one here also.

Trev.
    http://www.hjc-germany.de/hjc_ger/fsmax.php

I have emailed HJC but they won't sell it here until "further market reasreach". The distributors in Germany won't ship to the USA. Either way by next March I will have a set.

MIA SAN ​WELTMEISTER

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Auswing,

Why would you want the exterior sun visor? You get hot and raise the clear shield to breathe and get blinded too because the sun visor rises with the clear shield. With the interior one, you raise the shield to breathe and the sun visor still protects you. I can't imagine wanting an exterior sun visor except where it's cooooooooold out. Snow blindness aint no joke and you might want to keep your visor down all the time. Even then, what's the difference between inside and outside? The sunlight doesn't care what side of the shield your sun screen is on.

I mean, you're in Austrailia. That's like being in Southern California or worse. Maybe I'm missing something. Can you leave the shade down and still raise the front shield?
    Darksider #141

Post Thanks / Like

The HJC FS has the interior sun shades. The outer visor is clear and can be raised for more air. (see previous post).

Trev.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough".
    (Mario Andretti)

Silver 06 - since traded for 2013 F700GS BMW

Elite Camper Trailer - looking for a new home

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.