GL1800 turbo kit soon to be on the market
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GL1800 turbo kit soon to be on the market

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default GL1800 turbo kit soon to be on the market

I have look in vain for performance up grades for my 06 and run into dead ends every were I go, So I have developed the first turbo kit for the gl1800, kits will be available in early 08, it should only take 10 hours to install,
    with only 7-8 lbs boost the power will increase from 114 hp to 195 hp, torque will go from 149 ft lbs to 230 ft lbs

here is a list so far, and still growing. of parts you would expect to see in the kit

* Turbo (ball baring style)
    * complete S/S exhaust to be welded to the end of stock exhausts
    * rear mounted air intake and filter
    * carbon fibber charge air tubing to throttle bodies
    * carbon fibre gas tank, to replace stock tank
    * liquid to air inter cooler
    * oil cooler
    * oil scavenge pump - also the turbo supply pump, no need to tap into engine oil
    * all oil lines
    * boost timing retard
    * fuel regulator
    * boost gage with adjustable boost presser by the touch of a button
    * boost presser blow off valve
    * all fittings and clamps
    * template for cutting the stock or custom tail pipe ends to fit around turbo pipes
    * a new carbon fibber rear fender for bikes that have the radio speaker amp. mounted in the rear
    * an instructional DVD

for photos contact George Parker
    President/CEO
    fuelvaportechnologies@shaw.ca

www.fuelvaporcar.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This thing scares me now With that much more, I'd hurt myself......but I'll be glad to ride yours, once. Good luck with your project.

"Real" Big Dogs don't need to bark!

It's only an "Old Man's Bike" if you ride it like one.

IBA # 25105
    1000 in 24 (Certified
    1500 in 36 (Certified)
    1500 in 24 (Certified)

Darksider # 37
    Double Darkside (on the slab)
    Bridgestone Bias-ply G701

Post Thanks / Like

SCHWINGGGGGGGGGG !
    Ready to get back in the saddle again !

Seasoned Member Jeff in Ferndale WA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

assuming you have it thoght out and can make it fit,is the rest of the drivetrain strong enough to handle the extra power?
    Jeff in Ferndale,WA
    White 04

Post Thanks / Like

What I would like to know is how you remap the injector pulses to maintain the proper air/fuel ratio? Are you planning on using a Power Commander or similar device and developing maps on a dyno for it? Or are you intending on just adjusting the fuel pressure to try to richen the mixture? Seems to me like it would need a new fuel map if you wanted it to work right, and not run the engine too lean.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lamont made a supercharger for the Valks why coundn't it be fitted to a wing? same engine.

less stuff under the plastic.

adjusting the fuel mixture would be a big problem since no one make a PC3 for a wing.

good idea , keep us posted with problem solving results,

John
    '07 blue gl1800, Level 3, reg risers, utopia backrest, honda fog lights, Mic-o-Pegs, traxxion fork springs, fork brace, rear shock and Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP . Darksider #1211

Prowler #2

IBTrike

For those considering this mod, if you are under warranty, you can kiss it goodbye.

Good chance the turbo mod will either blow the engine, tranny, clutch, or rear drive, or the turbo itself.

Last I knew, the GL1800 is a touring bike...not intended or designed to be a crotch rocket.

But whatever tickles your pickle.

Good luck.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool...
    Joel
    Retired Army
    Silver 2007 GL 1800
    http://toinformistoinfluence.com
    Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP 205/55/16 RUN FLAT

If I wanted to become cattle and go with the herd, I'd take a boat cruise, join a bus tour group or ride a Harley

Legend in His Own Mind Teaser 1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

bump
    Friend of fast, Foe of slow

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to see someone try it, but it won't be me. Just off the top of my head I question a lot of things about this.

1. How do you nearly double the HP with only 5-6 pounds of boost. I had an intercooled SVO Mustang Turbo with 19 psi boost and could only get 205, compared to 125 hp on the stock 2.3L. The numbers don't add up.

2. Considering how some of these rear ends and transmissions are having problems with, I seriously doubt they could handle that much horsepower for long.

3. Without completely replacing the ECM with an adjustable aftermarket version, the engine would destroy itself rather quickly from detonation without being able to retard the timing and change the fuel mixture. You could add alcohol or water injection, but that takes even more space.

4. The inside of this engine is largely unknown. Is it a forged crank? How beefy are the bearing caps? What material are the pistons and valves made of?

5. Space for the turbo is a bad enough problem, but the specs mention an intercooler. With side mounted radiators, where is the intercooler going to go?

It's April 1st, isn't it?
    Larry
    2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have thought re-mapping would be fairly easy as honda dont like to reinvent the wheel ans have probably used an off the shelf ECU from a civic or some such and the data is only held on a rom or such. Has any one checked the part number for the ECU against other honda ECU's

Nigel Fenton

But i do like his car....
    A married man should forget anything he does wrong... no point in two people remembering!!
    2008 GL1800
    2001 Ducati M4 monster
    2002 R1 - sold
    2001 GL1800A1 TE - Sold
    2001 ST1100 - son has this
    1996 CB1000 - sold

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nigel, the GL1800 is an extremely simple engine computer that does not resemble anything used in the automotive industry. It is not programmable. That's why Honda was replacing them instead of just upgrading ROMs. They don't even have a core return on them so that they can be repaired. They are a throwaway item.

As simple as it is, it would be easy to adapt an aftermarket performance computer except for one problem. The ECM is integrated with the instrument cluster control module.

Anything can be done with enough time and money. It's only an engine. But this is one helluv an engineering mountain this gentleman is planning on climbing. He may already have answers to all my questions. I can't wait to see what pans out.
    Larry

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No worries larry I havent looked at the possible way to upgrade the ECU but there must be a fairly simple way.... even if its a no core as you say it still must use some form of CPU as it stores the map and up dates it (you know the ECU reset) .. so if you could monitor the values it stores (be it a serial storage flash ram or parralell EEPROM) you could make a bolt on to replace the storage...

There is already a much higher powered 1800 engine but its only fitted on a concept bike ..

here... http://www.gwocgb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8301

Amid the automotive weirdness that typifies the Tokyo Motor Show, there are to be found a few truly stirring examples of mechanical art. Honda's EVO6 concept is just such a machine. The bike uses a version of the 1832-cc horizontally opposed six-cylinder powerplant from Honda's big Gold Wing touring bike. But expect the EVO6 version of the engine to belt out a good deal more than the Gold Wing's 118 horsepower and 128 pound-feet of torque and expect the EVO6 itself to tip the scales at considerably less than half the Gold Wing's dry weight. The 40th Tokyo Motor Show starts Oct 26 at the Makuhari Messe convention center, and runs through Nov 11.

sorry for the rip from another site...

Nigel
    A married man should forget anything he does wrong... no point in two people remembering!!
    2008 GL1800
    2001 Ducati M4 monster
    2002 R1 - sold
    2001 GL1800A1 TE - Sold
    1996 CB1000 - sold

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone can post anything they want on this site. Seeing is believing. Show us a prototype, since you are telling us what you are putting into a wing...just show us with some pics to make all this believable....

There just isn't any room left on a wing to put any more plumbing on board...and besides who needs any more power at the price it would cost to boost the horsepower to the number you claim?

I have to say, I take a big pass on this one!
    "Your front wheel controls your destination.....your rear wheel controls your destiny...."

Strider

Goin fishin today Bob ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: GL1800 turbo kit soon to be on the market

Quote Originally Posted by GMP tech.
    I have look in vain for performance up grades for my 06 and run into dead ends every were I go, So I have developed the first turbo kit for the gl1800, kits will be available in early 08
    with only 6-7 lbs boost the power will increase from 114 hp to 195 hp, torque will go from 149 ft lbs to 230 ft lbs
    those numbers (195hp and 230tq) seem very optimistic with that low of boost. Nevertheless, it all sounds interesting - and fun. I think it will be necessary to keep the cost "reasonable". GWers aren't used to shelling out money for performance stuff (unlike HD riders). Who knows what market exists, or will exist, if this makes it to the market.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, mud in my face. This is not just a pipe dream. George from GMP Tech just sent me an email addressing all the questions in my post and sent about a dozen pics of the prototype.

The turbo is mounted behind the rear tire in front of the removeable cover between the saddlebags. The plumbing is impressive. (I hope there is a heat shield in the works!)

The intercooler is mounted where the air box goes.

He acknowledged that reliability is an unknown but he feels that the reputation of the Goldwing engine as bulletproof performer will make that a non issue. He is not trying to design a dragstrip racing bike.

He did not say if it is a working prototype yet.
    Larry

Seasoned Member Jeff in Ferndale WA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryM
    Well, mud in my face. This is not just a pipe dream. George from GMP Tech just sent me an email addressing all the questions in my post and sent about a dozen pics of the prototype.

The turbo is mounted behind the rear tire in front of the removeable cover between the saddlebags. The plumbing is impressive. (I hope there is a heat shield in the works!)

The intercooler is mounted where the air box goes.

He acknowledged that reliability is an unknown but he feels that the reputation of the Goldwing engine as bulletproof performer will make that a non issue. He is not trying to design a dragstrip racing bike.

He did not say if it is a working prototype yet.
    Wonder why Goerge didn't post the pics here and address the questions?
    Jeff in Ferndale,WA
    White 04

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

not posting pictures is probably a time thing of getting it to market and dont want it to be copied too soon

Nigel
    2008 GL1800
    2001 Ducati M4 monster
    2002 R1 - sold
    2001 GL1800A1 TE - Sold
    1996 CB1000 - sold

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

With more horsepower comes more heat.
    Will the GL1800 cooling system be able to cope?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yes more power is more heat thus the reason to keep the boost at a safe level around 6 to 7 lbs, this should be completely reliable and with in range that will keep things safe

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen the pictures & it looks very promising as far as getting it to fit within the confines of the Wing. The runner lengths are not going to be optimum for quick response, but what I see in the pictures looks doable. I've done a few turbo conversions on cars without lowering the compression ratio & 6-7 pounds of boost has never required any additional cooling or caused any real problems except that it felt so good that now you want MORE.
    GL1800A The kids grew up, now I don't have to.

Try to be the man your dog thinks you are.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i think some folks will b pretty surprised at how many folks would jump on the chance to spend big bucks on something like this

as far as ibtrikes comments about the kit voiding the warranty.....are u sure ?
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com
    02 GL1800 yellow 422,000 smiles
    Rode my bike to Trailer Week
    Charter member Wisconsin Toughest Riders

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the pictures:

:P to the naysayers.
    2006 ABS Gold (Built in U.S.A.), Full Mega Mondo Monte, Lots of extras! (3/25/2006) - PROGRESSIVIZED - Full Monte (Wing Ding 29) -WingSoft Large Complete Seat Modification, Full Mega Mondo Mega Plus Mega Monte.
    Gold: The color with the most muscle! (Muscle and Fitness Magazine, June 2006, page 48 )

Fred Harmon's DVDs: The best and only DVDs you'll ever need for maintaining a GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

I belive
    If at first you don't succeed Don't Skydive
    The "Black Pirate" has left us a message. Did you get it?

Post Thanks / Like

Doooo! Shut them up

That is really a great job, very impressive, what is it?
    Darksider 03

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default hmmmm

Very interesting to say the least....I have an open mind, and I will keep an eye on this one to see where it goes.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JazzFan
    With more horsepower comes more heat.
    Will the GL1800 cooling system be able to cope?
    The cooling system issues are low speed only. The turbo won't be spooled up at those speeds. I don't think anybody has any cooling issues with the Wing under load.
    Larry

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cycledude
    as far as ibtrikes comments about the kit voiding the warranty.....are u sure ?
    I don't think it is much of a stretch to say that in the event of a major failure to the engine, transmission or rear end, you can pretty much kiss your warranty goodbye.

In fact, you would probably have a hard time finding a Honda mechanic willing to do major work on it even if it is OUT of warranty.
    Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have an idea on pricing?
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion
    Click here for more info...DS - 012
    14 Gl1800 ABS
    Front G701..130/70H-18
    http://tinyurl.com/69fmoed
    Rear
    .. Wanli 195/55R16 Runflat
    Quick Camp
    Sticks Old Bike Memory Pics. http://tinyurl.com/3jgaywm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.