GL1800Riders Forums banner

Firestone Firehawk

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Rail32 
#1 ·
Ruined my Falken and in a bind for a tire had to buy the Firehawk,has anyone figured ouy the optimal tire pressure for this tire.
Ive tried 34 and 38,but it sure doesnt handle like the Falken.
Thanks for any responses

#2 ·
It may never handle like the Falken...Falken is a good handling tire. Only thing I can suggest is to increase the pressure in 2psi increments until you get a pressure you like. I had to take one tire up to 49 psi to keep the sidewall from flexing in the curves. After I jacked it up to 49, it handled quite well.

#4 ·

I'm currently running 44 psi in my 2+ yr old Firehawk. Bought used for $20 just to get the experience of a CT. I'd say it was one of the better investments to get me down the Road cheaply. But I'm sure to spend a few more bucks looking to improve handling next time.

#6 ·
Same here.......sorta!

My bike is my commuter to work every day,so probably 90% of my riding is straight slab about 40 miles a day
Well, I'd say 90% of my Wing Riding is just puttin' now.
BUT this Firehawk has been put to the test against several SportBikes and a M/C Tire equipped Wing with a seriously good Rider and run right with 'em on Black Mt. and Pine Mt. in KY/VA. BUT I did have a near disaster when I downshifted and braked too hard coming fast into another curve. The back tire locked as I was leaned slightly to the right setting up for a severe left and I darn near threw myself off the left side of the Bike. THAT C/T has got to be turnin' when the Bike is leaned.

#7 ·
YOU'D BE PICKING IT UP IF MC TIRE ON BACK ALONG WITH YOURSELF:22yikes:

#8 ·
I don't think so

YOU'D BE PICKING IT UP IF MC TIRE ON BACK ALONG WITH YOURSELF:22yikes:
2 reasons I don't think so. M/C tire is more adhesive and may not have locked at all when I let out the clutch. And even if it had it would have slid in a more predictable, controllable way. Not try to straighten the Bike up and through me off the opposite side. I don't have 38 years of experience on a CT. But have slid my share of SportBikes.

#9 ·
mercy

Well, I'd say 90% of my Wing Riding is just puttin' now.
BUT this Firehawk has been put to the test against several SportBikes and a M/C Tire equipped Wing with a seriously good Rider and run right with 'em on Black Mt. and Pine Mt. in KY/VA. BUT I did have a near disaster when I downshifted and braked too hard coming fast into another curve. The back tire locked as I was leaned slightly to the right setting up for a severe left and I darn near threw myself off the left side of the Bike. THAT C/T has got to be turnin' when the Bike is leaned.

Dude,
if you had that on vidio someone could use it in a movie, So glad that all that was ruined was some undies, they are cheap compared to flesh and blood.:eek:

A question/ are your brakes linked? FB

#10 ·
Lesson Learned

Dude,
if you had that on vidio someone could use it in a movie, So glad that all that was ruined was some undies, they are cheap compared to flesh and blood.:eek:

A question/ are your brakes linked? FB
Good point on the Video. I'd like to see it. And FYI, no underwear was soiled because it happened so fast I didn't really let it sink in till I got to the bottom of that Mt. Yeah, my Brakes are linked and I suspect I was starting to depress the rear pedal about the time I dropped a gear and let out the clutch so it was most likely the combination that locked the rear tire. Rider error for sure but I feel the result was more dramatic because of the inherent design of a Car Tire. Not blaming the Car Tire or the Manufacturer or Honda. Heck, I put the Tire on there and chose to ride like a Bat outta Hell. It was my mistake! I'm just giving some warning so others my not follow my near disaster with their own.
AND, I'm NOT condemning the use of Car Tires. That was a one time extreme case and I've countless miles of very safe Riding on perhaps the cheapest and maybe worst choice tire for the back of that Bike.
Should I go with another CT it WILL be another Brand.

#11 ·
2 reasons I don't think so. M/C tire is more adhesive and may not have locked at all when I let out the clutch. And even if it had it would have slid in a more predictable, controllable way. Not try to straighten the Bike up and through me off the opposite side. I don't have 38 years of experience on a CT. But have slid my share of SportBikes.
Just to stir the pot a little... stating unequivocally that a MT is more adhesive (than a CT) without something to support that statement makes it opinion rather than fact. Fact: in one study motorcycle tires were compared to car tires for hardness of rubber in their tread. Admittedly it was a small study but in every case the car tires had softer rubber than the MT's. Certainly not a guarantee of traction but a good indicator and possibly a dispute to your claim.

You stated, "even if it had it would have slid in a more predictable, controllable way." Again, we are just hearing opinion without any references or measurements to back it up. How can we know that a MT will slide in a more predictable way? My experience makes me think otherwise.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone stating any opinion they may have (and I expect to hear opinions about this post, believe me) but I think it appropriate to clearly separate opinion from fact in our posts just to be sure that those without experience or knowledge are not misinformed.

Flame suit on.
MM

#12 ·
Follow Travelinlites suggestion and it will serve you well. :thumbup:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.