How to access right "glove box" when lock fails
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to access right "glove box" when lock fails

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to access right "glove box" when lock fails

Have any of you had the key lock stop working on the right side fairing compartment? I am guessing that the locking system has slipped down to where the key will not activate to unlock the compartment.

My question is how in the world do you get to the problem to attempt fixing? I can't figure out how to fix it if I can't get to the problem. If any of you have had this problem, would you tell me what you did? I am guessing that something has to be taken apart, but don't want to experiment without some guidance. I sure would appreciate any help.

Carrol
    Carrol Amerson
    Roanoke, VA
    2001 1800 Goldwing w/Escapade Elite
    GWRRA, VA "K"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Bartman fixed his
    ... and then took the time to post some "how to" pictures
    for the rest of us

see here:
    http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=73596

Dennis
    ..the bike that turns any twisty road into a theme park..

Life
    what a ride. DS #99. Prowler #00.
    What's better than chrome?
    Chromecast!

​"In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
    The needs of the many outweigh the fears of the few.
    All truth is at first ridiculed, then opposed, and finally self-evident.

Post Thanks / Like

Try this thread. I think it will help you. (oops! Dennis you are too fast for me )

CLICK HERE

MERRY CHRISTMAS
    '05 GL1800A Dark Grey Metallic
    IBA #26626--SS1K, SS2K, BBG, 48/10
    AMA--Colorado Rascals
    Life is so simple, but we insist on making it complicated. _ Confucius 551-479 BC

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I got into the pocket by removing the the Key Lock and just pulling on the cable. I left the key lock out until I got a new one under warranty The cable is long enough to reach through the hole were the key lock was.
    hazle
    And the commoners were more than satisfied to have their environmental and social rules created by an esteemed, highly educated person hence helmet laws where mostly commoners reside

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks for the info and the link to the photos of how it is done. Pictures work much better with me than just words I believe I can work out my problem now.

Merry Christmas to ALL of you

Carrol
    Carrol Amerson
    Roanoke, VA
    GWRRA, VA "K"

Post Thanks / Like

Before you put everything back in, tie a fishing line, or something similar, to the latch assembly so if it happens again you just remove the front panel and pull on the string. Experience taught me that the cable can, and will, come off the latch when you put the pocket back in.
    Twyn

'61 Wife
    '80 Son
    '92 Daughter
    '95 Son
    '03 Illusion Blue
    IBA #23569
    Hoop It Up Embroidery
    Hoopitupemb@Charter.net

"I'm living for the moment when time will be no more." - The Booth Brothers

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

twyn said "Experience taught me that the cable can, and will, come off the latch when you put the pocket back in."

Make sure the cable sheath is firmly snapped into its plastic "C"-shaped holder. If the sheath is secure, it would be very difficult for the cable to disengage.

Good Luck...!
    Regards,

Chuck
    "Cissie", 2001 Yellow ABS 48K miles
    So CA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Didn't work for me

After all this great info from all of you, I was not successful in getting the locking system re-connected. It would have been great if it had come loose at the lock, but mine had slipped out up at the box latching system. I could not figure out any way to get to the latch to open so I could fix it. The box itself blocks access, even with the wire suggested by you. Oh well, I didn't need that box anyway Hope I don't have anything important in there.

Carrol
    Roanoke, VA
    Carrol Amerson
    Roanoke, VA
    GWRRA, VA "K"

Post Thanks / Like

Remove fairing trim and the screw that holds the lock panel in place and reach up beside the box with a stiff piece of wire ( piece of coat hanger) and pull the latch.
    No matter where I go here I am.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hand
    Remove fairing trim and the screw that holds the lock panel in place and reach up beside the box with a stiff piece of wire ( piece of coat hanger) and pull the latch.
    Brian,
    I tried that for about an hour with no success. I guess it's just me!!! The small hole on the left of the box allows 0 view of the latch and the wire just didn't catch on to anything that released the lock. Thanks for your input.

Carrol
    Carrol Amerson
    Roanoke, VA
    GWRRA, VA "K"

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Now may be the time

I just took the top shelter off to change the air filter for the first time and it was not anywhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. If you have not bought Fred's DVD's, I would suggest that as they are great for several items. And they are on sale now at Halís place. They go off sale in a couple of days, so if you want them, be quick. I adjusted my cruise control to stop the lag and I'm also covering the cruise control module today to stop the cruise control hum while I have the shelter off.

As several people have advised, organization of your removed screws is key. I numbered the trim screws like Fred suggested and I also used zip lock bags with a note inside reminding me where everything went.

Good luck. If I can do it, you can.

Post Thanks / Like

All you have to too is to remove the right fairing trim strip. Then remove the 1 bolt holding the black panel that the key lock mounts into and remove that black panel from the fairing. Now you will have a opening that is big enough to put your hand into to reach the fairing pocket latch where the cable connect to....you simply pull on the latch with your finger and the fairing pocket door will open.

Now that the pocket door is open, remove the 4 screws or push pins that holds the fairing pocket into the fairing and lift it up out of the fairing. Put the black panel that holds the key lock back into it's postion into the fairing, making sure the cable is postioned where you can grap it from the fairing pocket opening up top, and then tighten the screw to lock the black panel into place. Now while holding the fairing pocket close enough to the cable to reconnect to the cable to latch of the fairing pocket and then slide the fairing pocket it into place and put the screws and push pins back in and reinstall the fairing trim strip.

Frank
    Bear, Delaware
    03 Candy Orange

Post Thanks / Like

What roadie said that I was tring to say.
    No matter where I go here I am.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roadie
    All you have to too is to remove the right fairing trim strip. Then remove the 1 bolt holding the black panel that the key lock mounts into and remove that black panel from the fairing. Now you will have a opening that is big enough to put your hand into to reach the fairing pocket latch where the cable connect to....you simply pull on the latch with your finger and the fairing pocket door will open.

Now that the pocket door is open, remove the 4 screws or push pins that holds the fairing pocket into the fairing and lift it up out of the fairing. Put the black panel that holds the key lock back into it's postion into the fairing, making sure the cable is postioned where you can grap it from the fairing pocket opening up top, and then tighten the screw to lock the black panel into place. Now while holding the fairing pocket close enough to the cable to reconnect to the cable to latch of the fairing pocket and then slide the fairing pocket it into place and put the screws and push pins back in and reinstall the fairing trim strip.
    Maybe something is different on the 01 model. There is no way to get my hand up the side of the pocket.......tried, tried, & tried. I had the key lock cover removed to expose the opening, but just could not touch anything past a few inches up the side of the pocket. Maybe smaller hands would work, huh? If I could get the lid open I am sure I could fix the problem as you suggested.

Thanks for the suggestions,
    Carrol
    Carrol Amerson
    Roanoke, VA
    GWRRA, VA "K"

Post Thanks / Like

Carrol, I think what everyone is suggesting is to remove the bolts holding the shelter top in place on the right side. Raising the shelter top which holds the locking box up high enough to get your hand in there, no matter how big they are, just raise it higher. Or just take the whole top completely off the bike, flip it over and lay in on a blanket or carpet and release the lid lock. The only thing that would prevent you from removing the whole shelter top is the cable which actuates the lock. It sounds like yours is already off. Either way, you can get it raised up high enough to open the lid.
    Larry Price
    Edgewood, WA

I run Hybrid Tires....
    Front: Bridgestone Exedra G709 130/70R-18
    Rear: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55R-16

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default One last suggestion from me

After you get the cable attached and the pocket back in place but BEFORE you close the lid for the first time, take a small flat screwdriver and push down lightly on the locking mechanism and engage the lock. Then watch it as you turn the key. If it pops back out of the way (unlocks), you're good to go with closing the lid.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.