More Power for the Goldwing? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Would you like more horsepower for the Goldwing?

Voters
269. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would like a 2300cc Goldwing (about 160hp) if the price was right

102 37.92%
  • No, I think the 1800cc already has more than enough power

167 62.08%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More Power for the Goldwing?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting comments here,
    We all know the GL1800 is already fast enough to get in trouble and so was the first 1000cc Goldwing and I suppose you would never be satisfied with one of those now that the GL1800 is on the market,
    just goes to show if more power is available people will buy it, some have mentioned you would like more power but don't want to sacrifice mileage and have added weight and higher insurance so here is the magic solution, TURBO CHARGE the GL1800,....... 7lbs to 9lbs of boost will be completely reliable and will make the 1800 cc engine perform like a 2600 cc engine with way more torque and almost 200 hp, and just so you know this combination at cruse will actually give you better mileage then you currently get from your GL1800, and who the heck would want a crotch rocket when you can have your cake and eat it too!!! ...why would any one who's intelligent even make the comment to compare a Goldwing to a crotch rocket, The GL1800 has all the comforts we like and not one crotch rocket even comes close,

Just because you can make the Wing have more power doesn't mean your going to go out and turn into an ideate on the streets, who are you trying to kid, none of us are that crazy, the reality is that those of us who have a turbo charged wing will have that little edge that makes us happy, if your already satisfied with the power of the GL1800, and think its not necessary to add power or already has to much power, why are you riding an 1800 when the GL 1200, 1500 is probably more bike then you need, look at things from a logical stand point a new Corvette is extremely fast and handles great but that doesn't mean the guy who has one is going to rip up the streets and pass every thing on the high way, and there are turbo kits for the Vet as well, those of us who have a competitive nature will want the turbo, and those of us who do not want extra power continue to make comments subjecting its unnecessary to add the turbo to our wings, I have a competitive nature and I am turbo charging my wing, In early 2008 I will make GL1800 turbo kits available for any who want to share in the excitement of having that edge,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody know the hp rating for the EVO6? Same displacement, different pipes and hints about more power but I haven't seen any specs.
    “There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance.”
    - Hippocrates

Sid Moen (aka aktomi)
    www.workplaceresults.com
    blog: http://sidmostuff.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Moen
    Anybody know the hp rating for the EVO6? Same displacement, different pipes and hints about more power but I haven't seen any specs.

Honda showed artistic sketches of the EV06 at their Torrance facilities several months ago to Goldwing owners that were invited to review several Goldwing prototypes. The EV06 was 1 of seven different concepts. The basis of all the sketches were they are all based on the current GL1800 chassis and engine.

Considering the driveshaft is on the opposite side on the EV06 this is a little hard to believe, but it is a prototype and my guess is it has Zero Hp as it does not have a running engine, (yet).

One of the comments I made to Honda on the EV06 prototype was that it would not sell well if it still had the identical horsepower of the current GL1800 as they stated it would, I was not too impressed by the looks either... Just seemed wrong... A younger "Sportbike" rider was also in our group of mostly Wing riders and he liked the EV06 a lot!

You Tube here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqoVVwZuTEU
    2005 GL1800A Bright Blue Metallic
    GWBBA #58
    Darkside #527
    195/55R-16 Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP RunFlat
    A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be...
    -Albert Einstein

Where is Paul?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How about alittle more compression,stretch the gearing we have and maybe have a sport and touring mode that affects the timing and fueling like some of the crotch rockets have.that should be minimal cost and the increase in compression might help the milage.While we are at it how about modern forks.do away with the anti-dive(extra weight)and put in dual cartridge forks.
    2009 dark blue(nav and comfort)
    2001 black goldwing(sold)
    2006 yamaha FZ1(shift red)

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The GL1800 is considered Hondas Other sport bike

If you haven't seen this video you might want to take a look at it so you can see that the Goldwing is NOT just a touring bike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

now for a good laugh check out the Harley on the same road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whVXD3ex9DA

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont need more power,ground clearence,yes

im spinning the rear tire out of tight turns,or was and will be again soon,lol

more power is being asked for the pilots here"remember runways are strait,lol

IT'S BETTER TO BE HATED FOR WHO YOU ARE
    THAN TO BE LOVED FOR WHO YOUR NOT

THE 24 HOURS OF DEALS GAP,1001.7 MILES ON THE DRAGON !!!!

THE WORLDS TOUGHEST RIDERS? HMMMM

retired from the video business, can see old site here
    http://www.portfolio.jsdvirtualservices.com/yellowwolf/

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't really need anything to drank up anymore gas....

It's a lifestyle, not a hobby.
    2006 Honda Goldwing,titatium with GPS Navigation.
    2004 VTX 1800C,titatium flame paint,K&N air filter.studded stock seat with honda deluxe backrest with rack.
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa,pearl white paint.Yoshimura titatium bolt on exhaust cannisters.
    1982 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD, black paint original,K&N air filter.

Rider Steve

Why do people always think so small? Could we not just have a wing that runs on JP4 or JP5 jet fuel with the option of afterburners?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

More power, more power, yes sir, I could use it when jumping around semi's while pulling a fully loaded trailer,, With out the trailer I can only get to 100 MPH when passing semi's

JMHO

central Florida ..2008 RED abs/2007 RED/2006 BLACK
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting demographic

on this site
    ... more than 1/3 say yes "more power".
    on the RR site
    ... just a hair over 1/5 say yes to more power.

thanks all

... keeping fingers crossed for
    more power
    better mileage
    larger tank
    easy air filter change (5 minutes)
    and ... no weight increase
    ... coming soon

... I'll be the guinea pig ...
    SOMEONE has to make the sacrifice for you guys

Merry Christmas

Dennis
    Lifewhat a ride
    #99 DS .. #0 Prowler
    #YesOn2 FL MMJ
    Some cause happiness wherever they go; others ,whenever they go.

The needs of the many
    outweigh the fears of the few.

Govt. MMJ patent?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the GL1800 has ample power. I would like to see the power stay the same, but tweak it to improve fuel economy.

Oh yeah, make sure I can tweak the fuel economy on 2005.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.

One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am satisfied with the power the Wing has. I wouldn't mind a little more, but not at the expense of size and weight (or cost). As was said numerous times earlier, this is already a de-tuned engine that is capable of much more.

I don't know why so many people think reliability will be hurt. It is true with engines like the Harley motors because of what has to be done internally to get more power out of them, but you don't have to do those same things to the 1800. You can hurt the reliability of any engine if you abuse it, but with this engine, simply having more power on tap shouldn't hurt it.

I would not want them to go the route that Honda's automotive division goes about things. Honda car engines are well known to only put out power in the high rpm range and have always been seriously lacking in low end torque compared to other cars. The S2000 mentioned earlier is a perfect example. I was very dissapointed in the S2000's driveability, especially when you consider how much it costs. The S2000 runs more like the BMW K1200LT. It screams at the upper end up the rpm range, but can't get out of its own way at low rpms. With today's technology, there is no reason that an engine has to run like that. I would not want to lose the low end driveability that is the 1800s strongest asset.
    Larry
    2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

Their V6 3.5L is the same way, no bottom end torque. The only time I see overdrive is when I am coasting, or level with a tail wind.

03 GL1800 Red
    Keeper of the DSI numbers
    http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

FAQ (work in progress)

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMP tech.
    The GL1800 is considered Hondas Other sport bike

If you haven't seen this video you might want to take a look at it so you can see that the Goldwing is NOT just a touring bike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

now for a good laugh check out the Harley on the same road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whVXD3ex9DA
    Sorry, but it IS just a touring bike, albeit one that performs well. Goldwing riders are well aware of the capabilities of their bike, but it is not in the league of a true performance bike. Put an equally capable rider on the Dragon with an R1 or a Hayabusa, or even a sport touring bike, and any of them would put the Wing to shame.

It is not hard to put an engine in a vehicle that will outstrip its capabilities, even with a better suspension. It has happened before with cars and bikes. The Wing has a long wheelbase and is heavy, which is not good for handling. Put too much horsepower on this bike, and you will just see more needless riding deaths.

Years ago Caroll Shelby built two special Cobras with a 427 and twin blowers, putting out 800 hp, one for himself and one for Bill Cosby. Cosby gave the car back to Shelby because it was too hard to control. The guy who later bought Cosby's car, (an experienced track racer,) was killed in an accident shortly after that. Shelby never built another one.

I can understand giving it some more horsepower, but talking 200hp is impractical to the extreme.
    Larry

pbird49

Sorry, but it IS just a touring bike, albeit one that performs well.
    Not really. If you read the history of the man who designed the bike and why he changed it to it's present form you can see it was ment to be more than just a touring model.

http://www.windingroad.com/reviews-page ... gold-wing/

Designer Masanori Aoki made the bike to be a sport/luxury motorcycle and he succeded very well.

Masanori is a sports bike designer and he carried that talent and intention into the Goldwing.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/07dec00h ... view2.html

I think he did a great job. It's not in the superbike class, but it is in the sports class.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I never tried to suggest that the designers didn't do a great job, but if you were to put this bike in any performance bike category, it would fail miserably. Touring is still what the Wing does best. The improvement Honda made to the Wing is what made me change my mind about buying the ST1100. I would have never considered buying a bike like the GL1500. The 1800 set a new bar as far as touring bike performance goes.

The problem is, if you try and push the envelope too much, you risk taking away from the bike's intended purpose, which is first and foremost as a touring bike. I do think there is room for refinement, but the designers did a great job of balancing everything. Some people think they have already gone too far.
    Larry

Post Thanks / Like

So, just don't twist the throttle so hard.

The boost is adjustable
    ... if you want 130 hp you've got it
    .... if you want 190 hp, it's there.

It is analog, not digital.

It's about "available" power
    ... it not like a solid rocket booster that, once you light it,
    you have to hold on 'til it's over.

Theoretically, it should increase fuel economy when you're not hard into it.

I can't wait to get my hands on one to find out ...

50% of the posts on this board always quip about
    "my COLOR is faster, than your COLOR "
    ... so, please, don't try to tell me people don't care about who has the fastest wing.

Dennis
    Lifewhat a ride
    #99 DS .. #0 Prowler
    #YesOn2 FL MMJ

The needs of the many

Govt. MMJ patent?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

but anyone can go fast strait,and we dont need more power for the twistys,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yellow wolf
    but anyone can go fast strait,and we dont need more power for the twistys,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    YW,
    agreed
    ... but you are in a class by yourself.

The majority of us mortals have to get our kicks by "going fast, straight".
    I think there are more of "us" than there are of "you".

People, like "tracks", come in all varieties
    ... that's why they make round tracks and straight tracks
    .... there is room for everyone.

Dennis
    Lifewhat a ride
    #99 DS .. #0 Prowler
    #YesOn2 FL MMJ

The needs of the many

Govt. MMJ patent?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wingwing
    YW,
    agreed
    ... but you are in a class by yourself.

The majority of us mortals have to get our kicks by "going fast, straight".
    I think there are more of "us" than there are of "you".

People, like "tracks", come in all varieties
    ... that's why they make round tracks and straight tracks
    .... there is room for everyone.

Dennis
    ok fair enough,lol

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Theoretically, it should increase fuel economy when you're not hard into it..

Dennis
    A dealer told me that once when I was looking at buying new car with a Hemi engine in it back in 1968. It got significantly greater fuel economy when I wasn't hard on it too (well, relatively greater)....

DaleC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaleC
    Theoretically, it should increase fuel economy when you're not hard into it..

Dennis
    A dealer told me that once when I was looking at buying new car with a Hemi engine in it back in 1968. It got significantly greater fuel economy when I wasn't hard on it too (well, relatively greater)....

DaleC
    I had an ElCamino with a 4bbl 454 under the hood.. Almost 20mpg over the road, of course it also had salt flat rear end in it...
    '07 CBR1000RR Fireblade "NESBA #74"
    '08 Triumph Rocket III Touring (SOLD)
    Dave's '03 GL1800 Candy Orange (Sold)

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why so many people think reliability will be hurt. It is true with engines like the Harley motors because of what has to be done internally to get more power out of them, but you don't have to do those same things to the 1800. You can hurt the reliability of any engine if you abuse it, but with this engine, simply having more power on tap shouldn't hurt it.

Well of course this isn't true as HD was honoring OEM warranty on engines modded to 95" (from 88") by their shops until the EPA got into their face. But I'd be interested to hear just why a you would think that reliability of a HD engine properly modified would be negatively impacted, where a Honda engine wouldn't?

I would say the proof is in the pudding and the fact that HD was willing to honor OEM warranty with an engine dismantling (as long as the work was done by one of their shops) says a lot. I have read things on this board that would imply that Honda voids their warranty as soon as you do more than change the air in the tires.
    "A Son's soul craves the best of Dad"

2-502d "O-Deuce" '70-72

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say the proof is in the pudding and the fact that HD was willing to honor OEM warranty with an engine dismantling (as long as the work was done by one of their shops) says a lot. I have read things on this board that would imply that Honda voids their warranty as soon as you do more than change the air in the tires.
    Proof? Look up what the extended warranty costs on a relatively simple Harley vs a much more complex bike like the Goldwing.

Also, If I remember correctly, the 100+ hp Screaming Eagle package originally came with no warranty at all on the engine. I don't know if it does now.
    Larry

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont need more power,ground clearence,yes

im spinning the rear tire out of tight turns,or was and will be again soon,lol

more power is being asked for the pilots here"remember runways are strait,lol
    Just curious yellow wolf,u wouldn't be interested in an extra 15hp along with a good factory frontend(I know u would probable go traxion or other)atleast to start with.Maybe a rebound setting on the rear.Even on the gap most bikes probable pull u the most in the few staights.It would help even more in fast sweepers.these mods could probable be done cheaper than a newly designed 6 speed.
    2009 dark blue(nav and comfort)
    2001 black goldwing(sold)
    2006 yamaha FZ1(shift red)

Post Thanks / Like

I wish the Wing had more hp and torque. More power always makes a bike more fun to ride.

I really like the turbo idea and if it works as good as it looks like it could, I would love to have it....... but the trouble is at a cost of 8K it's a rich man's mod that most will never be able to afford with this bike.

I don't see why Honda couldn't easily give us 20% more power and use other technology to improve the fuel mileage at the same time...but it would have to be without a price increase....the Gold Wing is already too expensive....and it's getting heavier too.

Frank
    Bear, Delaware
    03 Candy Orange

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roadie
    I really like the turbo idea and if it works as good as it looks like it could, I would love to have it....
    ... but the trouble is at a cost of 8K it's a rich man's mod that most will never be able to afford with this bike.
    ... compared to the value of the 'wing, it would be relatively cheap.

You can buy a new Hayabusa for about 13K
    ... and the turbo kit for it costs about 12K additional
    .... about 92% of the original investment.

The average 'wing costs about 20K
    ... and a turbo priced at $8500 is only about 42% of the original investment
    .... and much cheaper than buying/maintaining/insuring another "special purpose" hot rod bike.
    and,
    ... if you consider that average 20K 'wing often has another 6K in farkels invested in it
    then the turbo mod is only about 32% of your current investment.

I'm hoping the turbo mod will be all plus and no minus for the 'wing.
    You should not lose any of the low end torque we all love
    ... you should gain a whole lot more torque starting at just below the mid-range
    ... but if you keep your wrist in check, you won't even know the turbo is back there.

The GL1800 is Honda's "state of the art" motorcycle
    .. much like the 32 Ford was Henry's crowning achievement
    (in 1932)

... entrepreneurial aftermarket improvements will come to the GL1800
    in much the same way that hot rodders improved on that original little deuce coupe
    .... only, this time, it won't take 25 years

..... and the subsequent results will be at least as remarkable.

Dennis
    Lifewhat a ride
    #99 DS .. #0 Prowler
    #YesOn2 FL MMJ

The needs of the many

Govt. MMJ patent?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryM
    Proof? Look up what the extended warranty costs on a relatively simple Harley vs a much more complex bike like the Goldwing.

Also, If I remember correctly, the 100+ hp Screaming Eagle package originally came with no warranty at all on the engine. I don't know if it does now.

Not this time Larry. You said that "I don't know why so many people think reliability will be hurt. It is true with engines like the Harley motors because of what has to be done internally to get more power out of them, but you don't have to do those same things to the 1800." I pointed out that this was nonsense and offered as proof the fact that until the EPA got involved, Harley Davidson continued to warranty engines that had been enlarged to 95" as long as the work was done in house. The response from you should be in the nature of how the modifications done to a Harley (as described) negatively impact reliability.

Other than race bikes, no Harley Davidson model intended for street use is or has been sold without warranty. I believe you are referring to the slick tired Screamin' Eagle DRAG RACE bike. It is a competition only machine not intended or legal for street use. Common practice for Jap makers as well when selling something like a motocross bike.

Extended warranty costs? You gotta be kidding? Like everything else, Harley charges what the market will bear. This is the same reason that Harley gets full list and Honda has a constant fire sale. But I digress.
    "A Son's soul craves the best of Dad"

2-502d "O-Deuce" '70-72

Post Thanks / Like

Add two more cylinders - take it to 2400cc - call it the GL2400 BossWing!! (Just kidding, but I would like to see it retuned for more power and mpg)

Post Thanks / Like

The power of the wing is just ok
    The 1800 engine bored out to the maximum might do it.
    and the ground clearance is pretty low too.

I have ridden sport bikes for years get off a Ninja or a Blackbird
    and on to a wing and you will see what I mean.

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page

Whenever we safely Ride home we promise God a little something.

Tony...........Chicago
    2001 Black 1800

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.