Trailer Pricing/mark-up Question??
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Pricing/mark-up Question??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer Pricing/mark-up Question??

Why is it that a pop-up tent camper to pull behind your bike seems to be priced less than an nice cargo trailer for the bike?

I would think it would take longer and cost more to produce the tent camper with labor and material than it would the cargo trailer.

Case in point here a couple of prices I surfed and found Mini Mate camper 15 cu.ft $2695 and the Roadman Camper Price $2,995.00

I know there are cargo trailers out there for less but my question is more about mark up cost and how the prices are set.

Maybe it is as simple as the demand for cargo trailer is greater than the demand for tent campers so they can charge more I don't know.
    Would love to here the thoughts and comments of this board on this subject?
    Thanks,

Dale
    The Marine Corps made me a man. My sons made me a father. I have never regretted a moment of either.
    Semper Fi
    www.zach-seidlitz.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer

There is a lot of margin in trailers, A LOT OF MARGIN.

I have had the Escapade and Hannigan, both very good trailers. There is a LOT OF MARGIN in the accessories as well, of course that goes with out saying for all motorcycle accessories. JMHO which I am intitled to.

If all else fails, "Read The Instructions".
    2008 Black In The Stable
    2004 Candy Black Cherry (Sold it)
    1975 CB500T (Restoration Project) (Sold)
    2004 Hannigan Candy Black Cherry (Sold)

Post Thanks / Like

Ya get what ya pay for.......like anything...simple

Post Thanks / Like

Is it really that simple that you get what you pay for?
    Parts manufacturing companies are continually being pushed by OEM's to lower their costs but yet the prices to the consumer (us) keeps going up.
    Please don't take my question the wrong way but in today's economy it is very difficult for me to understand the value vs economics of this pricing.

I am not trying to compare the tent camper to the Bushtec, Tailwinds (in their case I agree you get what you pay for) or other high end trailers. I am trying to compare it to the average torsion axle cargo trailer on the market.

I do not mean for this thread to become argumentative in any way. I asked the question so I could hear the opinions of others as to why a tent camper that would appear to cost more to produce, would sell for less than a comparative cargo trailer that (I assume) would cost less to produce.
    Thanks,

Dale
    The Marine Corps made me a man. My sons made me a father. I have never regretted a moment of either.
    Semper Fi
    www.zach-seidlitz.com

Post Thanks / Like

Onedale...no arguements...all is well

I believe it is all in how it is constructed not simply how big or how much stuff is incorporated

A Timex costs $14.99
    A low end Tag Hauer can cost $800

Yes both are watches, both tell time.....but one is constructed far better than the other

I would suggest the top end trailers like Bushtec and Tailwind are far better built and provide a far better pulling experience than a lesse costing trailer.

But that is just my opinion.....and we al lknow about opinions!!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJREF
    Ya get what ya pay for.......like anything...simple
    It would seem that if that were the case, then the high end rigs would have more to offer than a water tight cargo area or a fancy tongue. For what some of them cost, you would at least expect more than a second hand. (from the reference about the watches)
    GED "Get er Done"

Post Thanks / Like

Rackets,

I always enjoy your posts but have to ask, would you please work your magic arithmetic on our Patented Tailwinds?

Maybe you can show us how to lay 6 to 17 layers of E Glass in each of 9 molds to make the body of the Tailwind, then add separator cloth, bleeder cloth, and mylar pressure cloth on these layers and seal them so that they can be cured under pressure at 275 degrees for 4 hours. Then trim each of the parts and bond them together.

How about a chassis that has a ladder frame with shock towers containing 26 precision Laser cut steel plates, 14 square and rectangular tubes straight and curved, two trailing arms containing 12 precision laser cut steel plates and two machined rectangular tubes, two machined journals, two machined spindles, two machined precision bearing spacers and 4 machined end caps, two chrome plated drawbar assemblies containing tree rectangular tubes, 10 precision laser cut steel plates, Chrome plated Lid Hinge assembly containing 4 precision laser cut steel plates, Chrome plated tube, stainless hinge pin, 2 precision laser cut Aluminum Jay Hinges. Purchased bearings include 4 double sealed ball bearings, 4 Timken tapered bearings, six sintered bronze bearings, three hydraulic high ratio hydraulic dampers with multi stage springs, and a stainless coupler.

Starts to get a little scary, doesn't it.

Then there is the Equipment Bay with a Ritchlie-Thomas industrial Air compressor, Transducers Direct 60 psi Pressure Switch, Led air system On-Of Switch, Bronze 1/4" NPT plumbing pars, Brass pro shop type air quick disconnect, six socket mounted 30 amp relays, two 8 Amp auto reset circuit breakers, 165 feet of Copper wire from 12 gage and smaller, Gel Cell Battery with chassis, Lights, Light fixtures, sockets, Latches, Gas Springs,

How about appearance? Priced an auto type paint finish lately?

Interior refinements, Bra, Hardware, Hardened underbody surface?

Wheels, Hubs.....the list goes on and on. Your comment about high profit in molded cargo trailers gives me great expectation that just around the bend there is going to be a pot of gold waiting.
    Help downsize Government! Encourage private industry!
    Make things here, sell them in the Mid and Far East!!
    Ship goods out. Bring dollars in. Strengthen America!!
    Texan since 36, Rider since 52, Bike/Trailer riden' since 57. Passed 1,000,000 motorcycle miles 6/16/08.
    '10 GL 1800A '04 GL 1800A, '04 Tailwind XTc (We make 'em), '75 TEFCO Streamliner

Post Thanks / Like

GED wrote:

It would seem that if that were the case, then the high end rigs would have more to offer than a water tight cargo area or a fancy tongue.
    I think Mr Finch made a good start at anwering your question.

BTW LArry theCable Guy is hilarious.....Git 'r done

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom,let us know when you get to the pot of gold and will you promise to post pictures?
    RIP BEVERLY
    2008 Titanium
    2005 Bushtec Quantum GL
    Darksider #62
    AMA Life Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    Florida Honorary Prowler #70

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Now thats the way to build a trailer, very nice work Tom. Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

bnort,

I have heard that the gold is down a yellow brick road to a primrose path, and then over a rainbow way up high. In the pot are supposed to be some ear rings.

Just when I have it figured out, they change the rules on rainbows.

Texan since 36, Rider since 52, Bike/Trailer riden' since 57. Passed 1,000,000 motorcycle miles 6/16/08.
    '10 GL 1800A '04 GL 1800A, '04 Tailwind XTc (We make 'em), '75 TEFCO Streamliner

Post Thanks / Like

I would hate to settle for price over quality and performance, but I don't think I am the only one that has had to consider this.

I don't own the $800 Tag Hauer and I don't own the $14.99 Timex but they both do the same basic thing right?

If I could figure out a way to put the price of the Tailwinds in my budget I would. Mr. Finch do you have a lay-a-way program?

Dale
    Semper Fi
    www.zach-seidlitz.com

Post Thanks / Like

This entire discussion can be about any item...watches, trailers, cars

One sees a watch as something that tells time...why should I spend more than $20...they are the saem right??

I can buys a coarse wool sweater cheaply or a cashmere sweater for $300....but that cashmere sure is soft!!

I can buy a Bic pen for $1 or a Mont Blanc for $150 (or more)...they both write don't they...but are the the same??

I can build a shelter out of bailing twine, cardboard and plastic sheets or I can have a $1 million dollar home....both keep the rain off my head so they are the same????

I can get my fiance a nice $5000 diamond ring or a $59 cubic zirconia (zirconium?)....both kinda look the same...both are engagement rings so they are the same thing??

I can take a plastic box, bolt on an axle, add some wheels off an old baby carriage and there ya go I have a trailer....it does the same "basic" thing as a Tailwind or Bushtec right??.... in that it is a box that you can tow behind a motorcycle

The question is about quality which encompasses operation, durability etc.

One pays more for a quality product.

You need to define what quality means to you and how much you are willing to pay.

I am not sure there is any other way to explain it....look at the products, compare construction etc then you decide what is best for you and hat you ant to buy and pull behind your $20,000+ motorcycle.

Post Thanks / Like

Could it be "charge all the market will bear"?

Maybe folks will pay more for a "purdy" trailer than one you can sleep in that is less beautiful?
    '05 Candy Black Cherry
    '07 Aspen Classic
    Darksider 986
    2008 KLR 650 - 1969 T100R Triumph Daytona
    Centralia, MO
    VietNam Vet '70-'71 Da Nang Life Member VFW Post 6276
    '67 Suzuki, '37 Knuckhead, '74 TX500 Yamaha, '78 XS750 Yamaha, '82 Aspencade, '05 GL1800, a bunch of dirtbikes

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If I ever had any questions about why a Tailwind costs what a Tailwind costs the questions were answered last October when I, along with about a dozen others, toured the Tailwind facilities.

In the "body shop" we watched the process Tom describes for his Tailwinds being used for both Tailwind bodies and aircraft parts. I saw Tailwind parts ready for the 24 foot curing oven. I don't imagine the aircraft-quality construction and the expensive equipment come cheap.

We next toured the metal fabrication facilities where we watched the laser cutter and the 50,000 psig water jet cutter in action. Again, these are not inexpensive machines.

In the assembly plant we compared things like spindle sizes, bearings, hinges, shocks, etc. All in all, I was impressed by the degree to which the Tailwinds are "over-built". Not everybody needs, or is willing to pay for the quality construction.

Anyway, I won't question the cost anymore after seeing how they're built. (I guess that's easy for me to say since I don't have one!!) As somebody else said, I think you get what you pay for. If you built a sleeping trailer with Tailwind construction methods it would cost $12,000.

Glockjock
    Glockjock

2006 Titanium GL 1800, ABS
    2008 Tailwind trailer
    IBA #33072
    Darksider #163
    Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy Member #1
    RAT PACK 2013

I ride too fast, too far, and too often to ride anything but a Goldwing rolling on a car tire pulling a Tailwind trailer because friends don't let friends vote Democrat.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

But it is all the same. You put your things in a box, go down the road and they stay dry. Some do it for 500 and some do it for 7000. It is the same thing. One drives a 12000 car and some drive a 100000 dollar car. you get in start it and drive from point A to point B. to each his own.
    I dont look down on either. those that can afford the 500 dollar trailer or those that like to spend 7000 on trailer.
    I say to each his own. I am glad for both. They can get their things from point a to point b and dry.
    A smile is very contagious. Pass this on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by depcons
    But it is all the same. You put your things in a box, go down the road and they stay dry. Some do it for 500 and some do it for 7000. It is the same thing. One drives a 12000 car and some drive a 100000 dollar car. you get in start it and drive from point A to point B. to each his own.
    Then why did you buy a Goldwing? Could have saved thousands of dollars getting something much smaller. After all, the Goldwing and some little 250cc bike will get you from point A to point B. And since in your opinion they are all the same......

As for me, I know they are not all the same. And I'm willing to invest in quality.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You did not read my post...........to each his own.........If I wanted a 250 I would have bought one.....I wanted a goldwing.....I dont want a 7000 trailer.....but if you do then by all means buy one...I wont think anything about it one way or the other wheather it is a 500 dollar trailer or not.
    But the attitude of those..like you seems to be to look down on those that do not buy a 7000 dollar trailer, or a 1700 dollar trailer or a 2 dollar trailer or a 20000 dollar trailer. you missed the point all together.
    who cares. buy what you want and leave the other alone.

Post Thanks / Like

onedale,

We have done that before.

Depcons

If you were hauling socker balls in a trailer behind a jeep, your comments would be straight up.

However, riders often bring items that are fragile such as lap tops, cameras, etc. and they use a Goldwing, which has a fatigue susceptible frame of aluminum alloy.

It is true that many, if not most, riders do not put enough miles on their Wing while pulling a trailer to do fatigue damage, and many do not carry anything that can be damaged by rough riding.

The patented Tailwind is designed to be the easiest on the Wing and the trailers contents.

It is also designed to last a lifetime, and to never need tweaking, and only requires service at 150,000 mile intervals. Different people value their rides and trailers in vastly different ways.

When I bought my first new motorcycle, a 52 Triumph Speed Twin, I was very, very happy. To go back to that now would only have sentimental value, but doing 1500 mile days as I do now, would be out of the question.

To each his own.

Post Thanks / Like

You did not read my post...........to each his own.........If I wanted a 250 I would have bought one.....I wanted a goldwing.....I dont want a 7000 trailer.....but if you do then by all means buy one...I wont think anything about it one way or the other wheather it is a 500 dollar trailer or not.
    But the attitude of those..like you seems to be to look down on those that do not buy a 7000 dollar trailer, or a 1700 dollar trailer or a 2 dollar trailer or a 20000 dollar trailer. you missed the point all together.
    who cares. buy what you want and leave the other alone.
    You made a statement that they are "...all the same..." I simply disagreed with you. I didn't make any personal attack. I just spoke to the statement you made.

But here you go and make it personal. Please quote for me my statement that indicates I have a condescending attitude toward people who don't buy a 7000 trailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default ...

Post Thanks / Like

Default .

Sorry for the multi posts, the board just lagged on me when I was posting.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

tom you build an excellent trailer, no doubt the best, by hats off to you and your crew for a job well done. You seem to get the point. You have to admit that a trailer does the same thing - take things from point a to point b. Some choose to go with any thing from a $2 trailer to a $7000 trailer. I dont judge people by what they have, only by what is in their hearts.
    Alen seems to think three post drive the point home. It does not.
    A trailer is a trailer designed to do one thing, haul stuff. Some haul stuff better than others but still does the same thing, haul stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Alen seems to think three post drive the point home. It does not.
    Again with the personal attacks. I already stated the board lagged when I was submitting the posts and mutiple posts went through and I apologized for that to all reading this thread.

Just trying to have a discussion with you, but I guess that's out of the question.

Oh well.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

All I saw was the three post....later I saw the reason. after my post...I really thought it was funny....I guess my comment did not get taken that way, as funny

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a lot of difference between what different trailers are designed to do. You could put a plastic crate on an axle and call it a trailer because it hauls stuff, but it is still only a plastic crate on wheels.

A true trailer is built to meet certain design and engineering criteria. That criteria may be to build the absolute cheapest thing people will pay for with no thought given to the physics of high speed touring. Other trailers are built with all those factors in mind, plus the extraordinary forces that may be encountered.

Is such a machine over engineered? Not in my book! I had a Dodge dually run over the top of my Tailwind and push me down the interstate for a few feet. I wonder what those other trailers would look like after a truck ran over them? I simply rode away after the police had done all their reports. The damage done to the trailer appeared to be only a surface crack in the lid.

That's the kind of trailer I wanted and, although I didn't plan on such an extreme test, I am proud that it passed with flying colors.

My trailer is not a garage queen. It gets used as much as my Wing and must be just as durable.

Your mileage may vary.

Andy

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

again the point was missed.....a trailer does not fly.........I dont know, but it might not float like a boat, other than a tent trailer you might not be able to sleep in it, IT IS MADE TO HAUL STUFF.. some do it better that others, agreed, but its basic function is to haul stuff period. Some choose to do it for a dollar some for more.
    AGAIN AND FOR THE FINAL TIME....TO EACH HIS OWN.......GEEEEEE

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree...the point was missed.

Andy

BigDaddyGoldwing

I think the original poster's question had to do with trailer pricing and mark-up. All too often everyone says "you get what you pay for" but sometimes that is not always the case. Sometimes, you don't get anything close to what you pay for!

I've been told that there are trailer manufacturer's out there that have more of a mark-up (profit) on their trailers than what it costs for them to build it! This surprised me at first. Would you want to buy one of these? I sure wouldn't! But I would rather pay a little more for something of quality that truly has innovative features, excels in design and construction, and is built to last. But that's just me. I'm not knocking anyone who sees fit to pull an HF or a home built. That's their prerogative to do so and it will probably have a lot to do with how often they will use it. I just feel a fine bike like a Goldwing deserves to pull nothing less than a fine trailer behind it. My idea of a fine trailer may differ than someone else's, but that's OK. The choice each of us makes is right for them, at least, in their own mind for their own reasons.

The very best touring trailer on the market today has, IMO, considerably less profit margin than many other trailers but offers far more innovative features and build quality than all the rest and thus, is actually a much better deal. You can buy something else for less but you'll be getting a whole lot of less for still quite a lot of money. Obviously, this will vary depending on the trailer. Buy whatever you want but I prefer to get my money's worth. If I have to spend a little more money to do that, then that's OK with me. I want a trailer that is going to be "easy" on my Goldwing's aluminum frame. I feel the Tailwind XTc does this best and offers me more value for my money than any other trailer out there. I know what I'm getting is worth it! And I know it's worth it because I spent 5 months researching it. JMHO YMMV Sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes you don't!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer

Big Daddy
    Finally a very well written and level headed response, AND very true.

If all else fails, "Read The Instructions".
    2008 Black In The Stable
    2004 Candy Black Cherry (Sold it)
    1975 CB500T (Restoration Project) (Sold)
    2004 Hannigan Candy Black Cherry (Sold)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.