Best cost effective way to seal floor in a cargo trailer
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best cost effective way to seal floor in a cargo trailer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best cost effective way to seal floor in a cargo trailer

Anyone sealed their floor in their enclosed trailer?? I'm not sure if paint is best. Looking at the expoxy seal used on garage floors but it seems to be for concrete only. What about the "hot tire" issue on most of the floor paints disclosures?

The Rhino Liner bed liner route seems expensive.

Any suggestions????
    Iron Butt Member #38163
    Darksider #797 running Michelin Primacy Alpin 195/55/16 at 32 psi
    Bridgestone Battleax BT45 on front @ 40 psi.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rhino is real easy to roll on a floor. And can be found in the Auto parts stores for about the same as the other floor paints and a lot tougher.
    A smile is very contagious. Pass this on.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know there was a roll on version of Rhino liner. I always thought it was sprayed on with heat.
    Iron Butt Member #38163

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes in cans. I did a trailer, Plastic top carrier, and it stuck real nice. Made the top tougher. Try your local auto shops if not there try on line.
    A smile is very contagious. Pass this on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandan
    I didn't know there was a roll on version of Rhino liner. I always thought it was sprayed on with heat.
    Have never seen Rhino, there is a Hecules (I think) that is paint on.

Rhino is expensive, and to be honest I do not know if moisture coming through the wood just might not make it let go. Could check with the dealer. I have it in my pick-up and love it.
    Donnie
    Illegitimi non carborundum.
    06 Titanium Wing (ABS)

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get any on your hands unless you want black hands for a few days. (Don't ask)
    Jerry Layman
    Fremont, NE
    Darksider #008

Seasoned Member
    Born in Maine. Living in exile, near Cape Cod, MA
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not mix up a batch of fiberglas resin (no fiberglas, just the goop) and paint or roll that on?
    [SIGPIC

]
    George
    http://www.rkma3.org/
    http://www.redknightsmc.com/
    www.patriotguard.org

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't thought about that possibility.

Wonder what the cost would be to cover 120 sf??
    Iron Butt Member #38163

Post Thanks / Like

An issue with epoxy is that if the wood floor can absorb moisture from the other side, it will expand and shrink depending on the moisture content. The epoxy will not. It will crack or flake off.
    '05 Candy Black Cherry
    '07 Aspen Classic
    Darksider 986
    2008 KLR 650 - 1969 T100R Triumph Daytona
    Centralia, MO
    VietNam Vet '70-'71 Da Nang Life Member VFW Post 6276
    '67 Suzuki, '37 Knuckhead, '74 TX500 Yamaha, '78 XS750 Yamaha, '82 Aspencade, '05 GL1800, a bunch of dirtbikes

coolhand

We have been hauling bikes in trailers since the mid 70's. Mostly motocross but street bikes on rare occasions. There is always the temptation to make your trailer "pretty" and we have fallen into that mindset on a trailer or two. NEVER again.

Advice from someone who has been doing this for decades. For the floor, forget pretty. Plain plywood is a great way to go. It's pretty much anti-skid, even when it's wet or when your boots are wet. You won't faint if you drop something heavy on it and you won't get pissed off at yourself or your buddy if you or he he accidentally scratches the hell out of it. From my experience plain plywood is far better than your pretty floor trailer, be it vinyl tile (with the BORING black and white checkerboard you see on the NASCAR wannabe guy's trailer), rino type sprays (stupid expensive), and paint/coatings of all and any type.

In my humble opinion a pretty trailer floor is pretty stupid, from a practical and safety standpoint.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to Lowes and got some rolled vinyl flooring. Cut it, rolled it out, put in a few staples and trim it with 1/4 round. Now I can sweep it and mop it when it gets muddy.
    Michelin Alpin PA3
    DSI #401

http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

Members contact list
    GL1800Riders.com Contact List

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did an aluminum loading ramp to get my bike into shed a couple years ago with black paint and sand, had a 18" step to get into the shed and wanted some non skid on it. Just rolled on a thick layer of oil based paint and threw sand on top and repeated the process after it dried and excess sand removed.
    2008 Roadsmith Trike
    Battlax Bt 45 Front
    Aspen Classic Camper

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best cost effective way to seal floor in a cargo trailer

Lowes has floor paint with grit in it. Around $25 per gallon.
    That is what I'm gonna put on the floor and ramp of my 5 x 10 V nose trailer.
    Skip H
    03 1800ABS Candy Red

Post Thanks / Like

I had a new 6x10 Trailer built 2 years ago to haul my Trike in that had the floor done with a coating similar to Rhino coating. If you go to (http://www.classacttrailers.com) you can see how they are built. It will show you how strong they can be hit with a golf ball and not be dented. I believe all they build are cargo trailers and are great to deal with. I wanted mine with surge brakes and they said no problem. The floor being coated was a standard feature on there trailers, I'm sure if you contact them they could tell you what they use. I know I toured the small factory and it was done before the walls were installed. It's tought stuff, I have pushed furniture across it and not even scratched it. I have no connection with these people other than I bought my trailer from them and it's a great product.

Donn
    Donn-MI
    07-Dark Orange-Level 2
    07-CSC

Fire Eating Member
    Post Thanks / Like

buy a gallon of Poly Varnish.... either roll it on or brush it on... it seals the wood against dirt, oil & moisture... usually 2 coats will do a nice job

cosmic
    05 - CBC GL1800

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did the vinyl flooring but it's slippery when wet. The sanded paint thing sounds good and while you can't sweep it as clean, it's as good as your garage floor (concrete).
    Darksider #141

On Work Release @ Soggy South Orygun Coast
    Post Thanks / Like

Astro turf cut to fit?
    Happiness keeps you sweet, trials keep you strong, sorrows keep you human,
    failures keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only God keeps you going

Post Thanks / Like

I guess that I am a "NASCAR Wannabe" and I am pretty "stupid", because both of my 26' Pace Daytona car haulers have the vinyl flooring in them..one is checkerboard and the other a marble look.
    The vinyl is slipperey to a point when wet, but it is really easy to mop and clean. I put the polished diamond plating down where the tires run and sit. Vinyl has a tendency to turn colors with the rubber tires sitting and running on them after a while.
    Void using Rhino liner on the ramps! When it is wet, it is very slipperey. My high torque Camaros and trucks tend to slide to one side or the other, when going up, if the ramp has gotten wet.
    Another thing you could do is put a sealer on the wood flooring and maybe stain it. It would be protected, look good, and still have a "some-what" of a non-slipperey surface.
    Jim
    The first known person to ride all 254 counties in Texas on a motorcycle!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.