Lehman Trikes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lehman Trikes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lehman Trikes

Is there anyone else out there which has had problems with the Lehman Monarch II trike kit. I had my kit installed last Nov and have since had:
    1. The right rear brake caliper fell off while going down the road
    2. The differential pinion shaft seal started leaking
    3. Got it back from the shop and the seal started to leak again in less than 200 miles.
    4. The rear fenders both started to crack 1/8 inch above bottom corner of tail lights, moving forward toward the fender well. Trike spent over a month in shop to fix problem.
    As this has all happened with in 1600 miles, my concerns are did I end up with a lemon or is this going to continue? 1/3 of the miles I have put on it has been back and forth to the shop, which Lehman does not compensate for the gas to have a car follow you to and from when dropping it off and picking it up.
    I wrote to Lehman, but it would seem customer relations is not in their forte. Since i cannot get answers from lehman i will try to find out other ways. Never heard a word back from them about the problems I am experiencing and their Quality Control Department.
    03 with 07 Lehman Trike Kit
    U.S.MC. 72-86
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lehman Trikes

No problems here....had to replace the universal joint and they were very helpful in giving me the part number which was obtainable from a local parts store.

Things do go wrong from time to time with every brand...sounds like you just happened to get one made on Monday morning after a long holiday.

Are you sure that you did not ship it somewhere on Haulbikes.com?
    Gary Peitz
    2012 Harley Davidson Tri Glide
    Christian Motorcyclists Association
    GWRRA

USAF 1964-1969

Post Thanks / Like

I did not ship it anywhere. The problem is Lehman Quality and lack of customer satisfaction. You may be right that I got the monday edition after a long weekend. One would think that after writing to the President and CEO of the company he would respond with some sort of customer relations letter, but not one word, which is fine because everything that now goes wrong will be posted somewhere. I tried the nice way but Lehmans lack of customers concern shows me where they stand. They still have two and a half years to fix things and given enough problems I may file against them under the lemon laws, I am already close to doing it anyhow as the trike has spent more time in the shop than I have enjoyed riding the "LEADER".
    U.S.MC. 72-86
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Post Thanks / Like

Gary if you would have seen some of the replys to an earlier post of mine and talk to some other Lehman dealers I can honestly say Lehman is having a lot of Mondays lately. And this comes from a guy who just had his kit basically rebuilt by the 3rd dealer and 6th time it was in the shop. I bought mine last september and since then have only been able to get 2100 miles on it because like Wayne all it was doing was going in and out of the shop. John Lehman is not at the helm anymore and lehman expects its dealers to pick up the pieces. Ive had a couple of dealers tell me about things theyve had to do to the kits after a factory install. Good installers put the kits on better than the factory does. If you know the dealer and his installs go for it. If you dont -Beware! I wont go into detail on the rest of the issues besides whats posted but Lehman is not what they used to be. And unfortunately were paying for it.
    2007 Lehman Monarch II
    One day at a time works fine for me!

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne I almost forgot. Lehman has had a lot of problems with the left brake side. My dealer said mine was unusual that it was always the right side. I had a lot of brake noise and sometimes pulling to that side.When installing brake drums on an auto, the center hole in the drum is camphored to align the drum on the axle. Lehmans drum/rotor does NOT contact the center hub of the axle and does not center the drum/rotor. And some of the dealers dont know or dont care and dont realize the issues that this can cause. If you ask most dealers they will play dumb on the subject. Al was the one who fixed my issues when the other 2 couldnt. If anything I urge you to give him a call and tell him Mike Maskowski recommended you and just see what he can do for you.
    Mike
    2007 Lehman Monarch II

Post Thanks / Like

BIGMICK,
    My dealer has made a list of items he needs to check on every kit coming out of the factory. This costs the dealer time and money to do the factories job. In turn when I get it home I am looking at everything to make sure they too did not miss something. Don't get me wrong, I love the looks and the ride, it's the down time and what I perceive as a Give a S!@# attitude of the Lehman leadership. When looking at trikes i was loking for reliability above all. After talking to a few people , it seemed Lehman was the answer. I am only putting this out there so people can make an informed decission. My dealer has told me of other problems with Lehman but I won't post those as I cannot confirm them nor are they the problems I have encountered. Everyone consider this, when the rear brake caliper fell off, had I been on highway in traffic and needed to brake fast and hard for any reason, who knows what would have ben the outcome. Luck had it I was doing 35 mph and slowing down when it happened.
    U.S.MC. 72-86
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry you gentlemen are having problems with your Lehman trikes. It is good that you post the problems and the response from the company. This gives others information to think about when shopping for a trike. My Motor Trike may not be the best trike or have the best ride, but I have had it nearly three years and the only problem was learning the proper method of bleeding the brakes. Other than that, it has been bullet proof. (knock on wood, please)
    Riding a red '11 Can-Am RT-S Spyder, and a '02 Orange GW/'05 Motor Trike kit.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

If you have not been to Luckenbach, you have not completed your journey.

MY NAME IS GEORGE LEWIS. Retird USAF and Sony Corp. MY EMAIL IS: scoot62@aol.com

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The sad fact is that today we are talking about Lehman, in the past both Champion and CSC have been found to be guilty of Pi__ POOR customer service when it comes to problems with installation jobs, and poor Q/C of outsourced parts. Until the triking public demands that the manufacturers' status quo of business practices change, nothing will change. That is except that the product get more expensive every year.
    Just my opinion as a fellow victim.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

There is no doubt a lot of truth in what you say. Until the owners demand the return of quality it will stay as is . This is my reasoning for posting my problem. Others can read and determine what they want. Had Lehman bothered to contact me with my concerns and tried to talk with me I never would have put it out there, but it would seem Mr. Patterson could care less, he has my money in his pocket. The dealer is taking the brunt of it, but the problems come from the factory. I talked witht the dealer, these kits come assembled. After a lot of this started I was told they now have a check list of problems to check for coming out of the factory. Why should the dealer eat these costs. LEHMAN STEP UP AND TALK TO ME!
    U.S.MC. 72-86
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Banned
    The Old North State, aka the Tar Heel State
    Post Thanks / Like

If you look at my bike history signature, you will see that I had a new 02 Lehman kit on a Honda Valkyrie. It was a great looking kit, but its quality was terrible. I actually bought it straight from Lehman headquarters in Canada. I was lied to about the mileage on the bike, told it had a CB, when it did not, and had numerous mechanical problems. I talked to John Lehman personally at one of the Wing Dings and he shunned me and promised to get me help. Never got it. Sold the trike to a dealer and am now converting to my wing to a Champion. Lehman produces a good product, but their quality control is at the bottom as well as their integrity.

I feel strong making dealers stand up to their promises. Large company's don't want to waste lawyer time and corporate expenses in a law suit. With what I know now, I would not hesitate to sue the company to make them stand behind their products. Don't get me wrong, I am not sue happy, but if it is the only way to get justice for the highly price trike kits, I am for doing that.

Post Thanks / Like

You have that right I-T-E-R-I-G-E-R-I-T-Y. Which it would seem Lehman lacks. As A former aviation mechanic and automotive mechanic I will fix the problems, but Lehmans problems have only just started. I will show up at their events with pictures and documentation of their Q-U-A-I-L-I-T-Y, with trike on the spot. I am not spendimg any more time in the shop unless under warranty. About 2.5 years left for them to comply with customer satisfaction. I also am not sue happy thus the posts. They will actually show more than a lawsuit
    U.S.MC. 72-86
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

IBTrike

Quote Originally Posted by ssgtlitz
    Is there anyone else out there which has had problems with the Lehman Monarch II trike kit. I had my kit installed last Nov and have since had:
    1. The right rear brake caliper fell off while going down the road
    2. The differential pinion shaft seal started leaking
    3. Got it back from the shop and the seal started to leak again in less than 200 miles.
    4. The rear fenders both started to crack 1/8 inch above bottom corner of tail lights, moving forward toward the fender well. Trike spent over a month in shop to fix problem.
    As this has all happened with in 1600 miles, my concerns are did I end up with a lemon or is this going to continue? 1/3 of the miles I have put on it has been back and forth to the shop, which Lehman does not compensate for the gas to have a car follow you to and from when dropping it off and picking it up.
    I wrote to Lehman, but it would seem customer relations is not in their forte. Since i cannot get answers from lehman i will try to find out other ways. Never heard a word back from them about the problems I am experiencing and their Quality Control Department.
    I suspect that Lehman is having problems trying to satisfy Harley deliveries, QC demands, etc, and others get left in the dust.

I think Harley made a huge mistake partnering with Lehman, or any other kit maker. They should have developed their own trike. Would have been a piece of cake for them. But what do I know?

Ride safe.

Post Thanks / Like

I will not put down any brand of bike unless I have rode them, having my chabce to ride many brands all have their pro's and con's. My perosnal belief is everyone has a preference, for one reason or another, none worse than others. But manufacturers have an obligation to stand behind thieir product, support thier customers needs, etc. Up to this point the only people I have seen stand behind their product is the dealer. He is taking flack from me because Lehman is selling him down the tube. Even though I sent them a copy of my letter to Mr. Patterson, he feels guilty because he promoted this product to me, he was honest and said there was a compatable alternative, which I will not mention. But I believe the posts, comments and Lehmans own publicity, only to find out, PUBLICITY IS JUST THAT - WORDS NOT ACTION.
    U.S.MC. 72-86
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Post Thanks / Like

IBTrike wrote: I suspect that Lehman is having problems trying to satisfy Harley deliveries, QC demands, etc, and others get left in the dust.

John, do you know if the Harley/Lehman deal is still on. I have a HD dealer about three miles from me and stop in for coffee once in a while. Last week I asked him about the Lehman trike deal. He said he is not hearing anything about it...it was a hot subject, then everything got quite...just wondering. I agree with you that HD could design a great trike in house...
    Riding a red '11 Can-Am RT-S Spyder, and a '02 Orange GW/'05 Motor Trike kit.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

If you have not been to Luckenbach, you have not completed your journey.

MY NAME IS GEORGE LEWIS. Retird USAF and Sony Corp. MY EMAIL IS: scoot62@aol.com

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In my ordeal with my Champion trike, a well respected Champion, CSC, and Trike Shop installer tore down my trike and rebuilt it. He took multiple photos of the many mistakes and omissions and short cuts that my original installer took. He authored a lengthy report on the findings with the photos and sent it to Champion. The report caused a momentary stir at Champion. There was a token inquiry. In the end my expenses and the rebuilder's time went uncompensated by Champion. In my book they are a company without I-N-T-E-G-R-I-T-Y. If it makes you feel any better, they didn't really talk to or listen to me, either. I haven't heard from them since I had my trike rebuilt. I don't expect to either; because they've proven that just don't care about anything but the money. It pains me to read that another trike company is behaving in a similar fashion.
    If people stopped buying trikes from these companies, do you think they'd get the message?????????
    Mike
    It sure has taken an awfully long time for the first H-D/Lehman trike to get to market. Does anyone smell a rat???????

Banned
    The Old North State, aka the Tar Heel State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WEBTRIKED
    In my ordeal with my Champion trike, a well respected Champion, CSC, and Trike Shop installer tore down my trike and rebuilt it. He took multiple photos of the many mistakes and omissions and short cuts that my original installer took. He authored a lengthy report on the findings with the photos and sent it to Champion. The report caused a momentary stir at Champion. There was a token inquiry. In the end my expenses and the rebuilder's time went uncompensated by Champion. In my book they are a company without I-N-T-E-G-R-I-T-Y. If it makes you feel any better, they didn't really talk to or listen to me, either. I haven't heard from them since I had my trike rebuilt. I don't expect to either; because they've proven that just don't care about anything but the money. It pains me to read that another trike company is behaving in a similar fashion.
    If people stopped buying trikes from these companies, do you think they'd get the message?????????
    Mike
    It sure has taken an awfully long time for the first H-D/Lehman trike to get to market. Does anyone smell a rat???????
    Webtriked, I agree with you. All of these companies seem to be, depending on the year of manufacture, verging on unethical or improper treatment of customers. I regret ever having bought from Lehman. I may end up having the same opinion of Champion after I get my conversion from them in July. However, as I stated early, I am determined this time to enjoy my bike and get what I paid for. Even if court is the last resort of getting satisfaction...which I hope it does not come to that.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For those who are interested the name of the person who "generously donated" his time to rebuilding my trike is Pete Hatfield. He's located in Muscatine, IA. His business is Hatfield Motor Sports. He has a "crew" of 3 great guys. They build Champion, CSC, and Road Smith. He'll bend over backwards to satisfy the customer at the expense of making the manufacturers mad at him. He will not be the cheapest trike dealer; nor will he be rushed in completing a trike build. You can rest assured it'll be right. As a result of his business ethics he is well respected by trikers and manufacturers alike.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

We had the Lehman factory install our '08 Monarch II. First Pearl White to be painted, but did not match. Ron Plender of Lehman contacted me often. I have his personal cell number. I want to think he is the one to help you. My kit got bolted, but none were tightened. Scary. I wanted to tour the factory before I purchased my kit, but was informed I could NOT...cuz HD had a new contract with them AND part of the deal was...no tours. Sounds like alot of BS now that I have read these 17 posts. Will tear into my brakes first thing tomorrow before we leave Wednesday for 5-day group ride. Thanks everybody. Keep up the fabulous posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Well after all is said and done FWIW mine has improved a hundred percent. The ride is excellent ,the rattles gone ,ride height is almost 2 inches taller ,also setting the rear shock on the middle setting and explaining about the Honda rear suspension settings and what they should be. Right rear brake still has some noise but the wheels arent covered in brake dust like they used to be. The shame is that this is a factory installed kit and being a Lehman priced as such. if knowing what I know now I probably would have spent the money on a Hannigan or such. Everyone must remember that we get enthused about trikes. We have to remember that these are custom kits mounted on Our Goldwings and are only as good or as BAD as the installer. He will make or break your kit. if you have one installed and you live 200 plus miles away and its bad be prepared. We're not doing this to scare you but you must understand there are issues out there and a well prepared buyer is the best defence. The last dealer to work on my trike was 325 miles away and was Timms Trikes Of St Charles Minn. An honest prideful hard working trike installer. It took him 31 hours to fix what the factory didnt and I can honestly recommend him as an installer,and I can honestly say that because I trust My life and my wifes with his work.
    Unfortunately because of the cost and other possible issues Lehman owners have a tendency not to say anything.
    I know a number of you out there that I have talked to about issues with your trike and you dont say anything or post anyting and I hope to keep in touch and ride with some of you this year.
    Future trike owners you have to remember the more informed you are ,the better a choice you will make and be happy with it. Ask questions ,take demo rides,check out this board about trikes and others like it and if youre not sure ask away. There is no such thing as a dumb question. The trike was my wifes and mines dream .
    Its getting better with help but I should not have to go through this to get something I paid for in the beginning.
    Its a big investment and we should want that you should be able to enjoy it like you should. I hope to see you all at a CBTC meeting someday.
    Mike
    2007 Lehman Monarch II

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnthomas
    We had the Lehman factory install our '08 Monarch II. First Pearl White to be painted, but did not match. Ron Plender of Lehman contacted me often. I have his personal cell number. I want to think he is the one to help you. My kit got bolted, but none were tightened. Scary. I wanted to tour the factory before I purchased my kit, but was informed I could NOT...cuz HD had a new contract with them AND part of the deal was...no tours. Sounds like alot of BS now that I have read these 17 posts. Will tear into my brakes first thing tomorrow before we leave Wednesday for 5-day group ride. Thanks everybody. Keep up the fabulous posts.
    I would venture to say that no tours is a bunch of BS. For thr "Leader of the Three World" one would think they would welcome people with open arms to see how it is done. I have gone over every bolt I can, to make sure they are tight. You are right Lehmans way of doing business is scary in that they get your money and run leaving the dealer to handle the factory problems. If an installer is not aware of common problems coming out of the factory it can be a nightmare.
    U.S.MC. 72-86
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Timm's Trikes of St Charles Minn. They put my kit on last fall and now I have over 6000 miles on it with no problems.
    Robert Neal
    Kathy
    81 CB 750 Honda Custom (Sold) --- 84 Gl 1200 Goldwing Interstate --- 88 GL 1500 Goldwing
    06 Titanium Wing
    07 Lehman Trike kit (Second Childhood)
    Cyclemate 2000 LTD Black Trailer with a
    "HOOKED UP AND RUNNING" sign on the back.
    When you find yourself in the ditch Ezzz off on the throttle shift down two gears and GAS it.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

BIGMICK wrote: The last dealer to work on my trike was 325 miles away and was Timms Trikes Of St Charles Minn. An honest prideful hard working trike installer.
    I'll second the praise for the Timm family/staff. My Trike was converted at Timm's Trikes, and has been great. I do have some disk brake noise; the Timm's have tryed acouple chgs to get rid of the issue. I'm sorry to hear of the problems that other Lehman owners are having, I hope they all get taken care of.

Trike Safe!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Mick,
    Now you know how I felt about my Champion trike when Pete Hatfield got done with it. The improvement was noticed immediately. You can now understand why we feel the way we do about Hatfield Motor Sports of Muscatine, IA. IMHO, the silent minority needs to start speaking up/posting.
    I'm glad your trike is fixed. Hope the other issues work out better for you than mine did.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Just added notes on the Lehamn saga. One would think that they would want to satisfy a customer and do everything reasonable to accomodate them. My neighbor, which has been watching this unfold decide not to buy a Lehamn because of my ordeal. Loves the looks but not the headaches. He cannot believe they will not answer me. He read the letter i sent Mr. Patterson. I cannot figure out why more people will not speak up, certain people have told me the stories of what they have gone through with Lehman, incredable. I have told them tpost them so others are aware and get Lehman to stand up as a manufacturer. If the leaders at lehman were to grow a set, and would have ansewered me my neighbor most likely would have bought one. Now he will look at other brands, and i cannot or would not try to change his mind.
    U.S.MC. 72-86
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Squating Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a real bummer when we have issues and there is no one to take care of it, however I have to say that CSC stepped up and took care of me.

I had some paint and fitment issues, took it back to the installer and CSC had him remove the body and boards, sent to CSC and they repainted the kit, looks great, however the installer still could not get the fitment of the running boards right, brakes were not bled correctly either. One call to CSC and they sent a truck from Virginia to Kentucky, picked up my entire trike and took it back to the factory, returned it in a week and it was perfect.....now that is Customer Service.
    If I do another trike, be it Goldwing, Harley, BMW....it'll be a CSC......if nothing more than the service they extended to me.....course I do like their product and feel it's the best FOR ME....

I hope everyone can have the positive outcome that I experenced with CSC....

As for Harley and Lehman, I had heard that the deal went south, unconfirmed information...why Harley would go with a out of country company is beyond me, Harley being American and all.....I wish they would go with CSC. After seeing and riding one at the factory during Apple-Cade....I think the CSC kit looks the best on the Harley...

At least go with a American company, CSC, Hannigan, Champion etc...

Hers-2007 Goldwing CSC Trike, Silver
    His-2013 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic, Hot White Pearl.
    Bushtec Roadstar,
    Blue Knights KYII, Life Member HOG,Iron Butt Member,AMA Member

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

FWI,
    Lehman originally started out up here in Canada (Westlock) Alberta, about 20 years ago.
    They have slowly been moving all of their operations to Spearfish SD over the last few years.
    I don't believe that there is anything left of Lehman here in Canada anymore, so they are now an American Co.
    They are also listed on the Canadian stock exchange.
    The Harley/Lehman mating may have been contigent on Lehman moving their operations to the US?

Believe it or not there are some really good products made in Canada, not just the USA.

We finally have a trike shop here in Alberta that sells CSC and Champion Trikes. Up until a few months ago, it was basically Lehman, at least here in Western Canada.

The problem is probably with our weather here. The riding season is only about 6-7 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Triker
    FWI,
    Lehman originally started out up here in Canada (Westlock) Alberta, about 20 years ago.
    They have slowly been moving all of their operations to Spearfish SD over the last few years.
    I don't believe that there is anything left of Lehman here in Canada anymore, so they are now an American Co.
    They are also listed on the Canadian stock exchange.
    The Harley/Lehman mating may have been contigent on Lehman moving their operations to the US?

Believe it or not there are some really good products made in Canada, not just the USA.

We finally have a trike shop here in Alberta that sells CSC and Champion Trikes. Up until a few months ago, it was basically Lehman, at least here in Western Canada.

The problem is probably with our weather here. The riding season is only about 6-7 months.
    To be honest with you I don't care if it is made in Canada or the United States, I paid a lot of money for a product with little to poor quality.
    U.S.MC. 72-86
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Post Thanks / Like

Update:
    I received a letter from the production manager, not Mr. Patterson. This person tells me " The problems that you experienced are most unusual and for all of them to be on one unit is unheard of." Obviously it is not unheard of as I informed Lehman of them. I seriously doubt I am the first to complain to Lehman about Quality! In fact I know I am not. Are they admitting I have a "LEMON" or just trying to quiet me down? There is nothing in the letter explaining how these things happened nor what they intend to do to make sure it does not happen to someone else. He goes on to say " Lehman Trikes USA is committed to quality and customer satisfaction and we look forward to being of service to you in the future." I hope so because the next problem they can bring their truck here and pick it up and deliver it back at lehmans expense. This way i am not paying for gas for the trike and car to take it to the shop and pick it up. Thats part of customer staisfaction.
    U.S.MC. 72-86
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have went back and reread the posts in this thread, but am confused as to who actually did the conversion.
    It seems to me that your dealer did the conversion?

Regardless, I would continue to pursue the matter until you are completely satisfied.

The only problem I have had with my trike is the back brakes hissing/rubbing. My dealer more than went out of his way to try and fix the problem and he got a hold of Lehmans head office in Spearfish. The brakes are still not noise free, but much better than they were originally.

My husbands 01' Valk has been trouble free.

It's not just Lehman trikes that have problems as I have read of numerous other brands causing a lot of grieve.

It sure sounds like you have a Lemon on your hands.

Please do keep us informed of the outcome.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing that is a shame about Lehman is that they take the "We did ?" type of attitude when it comes to fixing issues. My brakes still make noise like yours and I dont think they will ever be any better. Lehman either doesnt know why or wont spend the money to totally fix the issues with ours. because I just find it funny that some have it and some dont. Ive had 3 different dealers work on mine of which 2 of the 3 dealers tried to pawn it off as either my driving or act totally ignorant of the issue. the 1st dealer tried to even charge me for warranty work. The last dealer which was Timms trikes totally went through the kit and fixed what the factory forgot and didnt finish and did his darndest to cure the brakes and was honest in telling me I will never be without some noise. Before he worked on them the rims would be dark with brake dust ,now they hardly get dirty at all. I know each manufacturer has their foibles when it comes to their brand but this childish attitude of Lehmans for what they charge will be their own downfall of the brand. Making customers jump through hoops when they know they have factory problems and putting us out is not the way to attract customers. And forums like this is what helps to make better consumers of future trike purchasers.
    2007 Lehman Monarch II

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.