goldwing oil changes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: goldwing oil changes

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default goldwing oil changes

just bought a 2008 dark red metallic goldwing. the last wing i owned was a 1987. i was wondering how often you change the oil in the new 1800 wing. do you change it more often being triked out because of a heavier load the trike puts on the engine then a two wheeler? i will be getting my wing home soon and will be triking it out if i ever make my mine up on which trike i want. i will be riding a csc soon then i hope to make up my mine. decisions decisions decisions. my head hurts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: goldwing oil changes

I change mine once a year if it is a slow year; 15 K or so, and twice if it is a busy year; 30+ K. The book says 8 K intervals with Dino! Synthetic will yield at a minimum half that again, or around 12 K. (That is my thinking) I use Mobile 1 Extended 15/50 Synthetic, and don't even think about changing until at least 15 K.
    George Patrick Th.D.
    2012-GL1800,Hannigan Gen2
    2009 Roll-A-Home
    CMA Chapter #854
    USMC 66-74

Heb 13:2

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO and you will get thirty five other opinions....change oil and filter @ 600 miles and again at 4K with dino oil. After that, change depending on the type of oil. I use synthetic Mobil 1 15w-50 and change every 6 to 8K depending on when I get to it. Change more often? I don't, and some here run 15K with Mobil 1. (my friend, George Patrick) I don't feel comfortable with 15K, but that is just me. I buy Honda filters from Hal by the case (10 filters) and split with another GW buddy.
    Riding a red '11 Can-Am RT-S Spyder, and a '02 Orange GW/'05 Motor Trike kit.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

If you have not been to Luckenbach, you have not completed your journey.

MY NAME IS GEORGE LEWIS. Retird USAF and Sony Corp. MY EMAIL IS: scoot62@aol.com

On Work Release @ Soggy South Orygun Coast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deer hunter
    just bought a 2008 dark red metallic goldwing. the last wing i owned was a 1987. i was wondering how often you change the oil in the new 1800 wing. do you change it more often being triked out because of a heavier load the trike puts on the engine then a two wheeler? i will be getting my wing home soon and will be triking it out if i ever make my mine up on which trike i want. i will be riding a csc soon then i hope to make up my mine. decisions decisions decisions. my head hurts.
    I suggest you change it whenever it feels good to you. The engine does not seem to know the difference. They run for those that change oil every 5 years just as well as it does for those that change it every 2K miles. Personally, I use synthetic non-energy conserving and change it and the filter every 5k miles, just because the oil starts to get a little dirty about then - not because of any other reason.
    Happiness keeps you sweet, trials keep you strong, sorrows keep you human,
    failures keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only God keeps you going

Post Thanks / Like

My 06 Owner's Manual says that the oil should be changed at 4,000 miles then every 8,000 after that. I use Mobil 1 motorcycle oil and change it at and the filter at 6,000 miles.

I have a DFT conversion and would highly recommend that you include it in your decision making process, I also highly recommend that you look "under" the hood at the suspension before you place your order. If you have a friend who is an engineer have him/her analyze the suspension system with you.

Wayne
    Wayne Thais

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.