Harbor Freight tire changer??
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Harbor Freight tire changer??

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Harbor Freight tire changer??

Anyone own and use the Harbor Freight tire changer? I'm looking for comments as to its quality and ease of use. I have changed tires on the VTX that I used to have, but all I had then was a set of tire irons. Seems like the HF tire changer would make things a lot easier. My original tires on my '07 are at 5300 mi and I'm down to the wear bars. So I will be changing tires before long. Most every shop around here wants at least $70.00 to mount and balance. Some are higher than that. I figure I can buy the HF equipment for a little over $100.00 delivered and do my own. Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

DUKE

'07 GL1800 Black Metallic, Premium Sound, Comfort, Navi. (sold)
    '03 VTX1300S Durango Red (sold)

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out the window.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Harbor Freight tire changer??

I had the HF tire changer I sold it, and got the NoMar tire changer...I wouldn't go back to the HF tire changer...if you want a cheap tire changer that needs some work to make it so you can use it, without damage to your wheels get the HF changer...if you want a good tire changer that will work for many years, don't buy the HF changer.

IBA #49997 (Certified)

Dark Side #224
    States I Have Rode In

Provinces I Have Rode In

Arrogance & rudeness is not a personality quality.
    "I am not a busy man" I always have the time to answer a PM without a smart remark ! Or name calling.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the HF changer and have used it several times with good suscess. It does have to be modified to keep from scratching up the rims. I use the Mojo Blocks for this purpose. They bolt on top and in front of the rim clamps and are made from really hard plastic. I also use a couple of nylon cinch straps around the spokes of the rims and around the arms of the changer to keep the rim from moving while mounting the tire. I bought the Mojo lever to mount and dismount the tire. It has the same hard plastic tips on it to keep rims safe. Front tires are a breeze. Rear tires are harder. Run Flat car tires are the hardest but doable. It needs to be bolted down to a solid base to work well. Fred H. shows how to do the entire process on his DVD series. I have less than $200 in mine and work fine. No mar starts at $500.
    06, Dark Red GL1800
    Darksider #107
    Michlin Alpin 195/55/16 Run Flat (28psi) 5th one
    Bridgestone 701 bias ply front (36lbs)
    Rest in Peace, Beverly
    Florida Prowler #3

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto what JohnACMan said. I bolted mine down to the concrete and it works fine. I used the Mojo Lever, and the bolt snapped. Continued the work with the Harbor Freight bar, and all was well. I also used a Marc Parnes balancer to balance the tires. All in all, under 300 bux total. You can buy more expensive models, but why ? If $$$ is no object, go for it. I used plasti-dip on the parts of the HF tire changer that holds onto the tire....3 coats.

Also here is a good read: http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tirechange
    Retired 12/19/2012
    No more Tension, Just Pension.
    PASS Illinois Chapter

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I also thought about what the charge was for a tire change and my HF stuff was paid for in doing one wheel. Is it the best tool around? Probably not. Does it hold a wheel so you can do the change? Definitely.

Since I got mine, I've either done alone or with other bike owners: 3 GL1500 tires, 1 VTX1300 front tire, 2 GL1800 rear tires, 1 GL1800 front tire, 2 small trailer tires.... and I'm about to order tires for my own GL1800 to be installed before the end of this riding season.

Here's another link that I've found useful: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html.

Post Thanks / Like

n8tz,
    Do a search on this board for the HF tire changer and you'll get some good ideas about how to modify them to make less likely to scratch your rims. They are okay for home use but there are better products out there, albeit at higher prices.
    Here is what I did to mine...
    I made my pads by cutting out pieces from a polyethylene cutting board, tapering one edge to fit under the original metal hook and mounting them with one countersunk through-bolt. Next I mounted 6 roller looking rim grabbers, two per pad. The rim grabbers are availble from NoMar for about 12 bucks and come with their own hex-head mounting screws. I just drilled a hole in the polyethylene pads a little smaller than the screws and screwed them in. They fit very snug. The cutting board was about 10 bucks. With everything included my modifications to the HF machine cost me about $25.00. So far I have changed five 245/45 17inch car tires and two tubless motorcycle tires tires with this setup and a Mojo bar. No complaints and no scratches on the rims.

195/55 Toyo T1R 20,000 miles
    205/55 Conti ProContact 18,500 miles
    195/65 Conti Vanco II 26,00 miles
    205/60 Michelin Primacy MXV4 @33PSI
    Why a Car Tire?...http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine works great. changed two tires for a friend just yesterday afternoon. It was 100 degrees outside. Too hot to ride anyway. (We were inside)
    Members contact list
    GL1800Riders.com Contact List

IN GOD WE TRUST!!!!!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!

Virginia Beach, Virginia "Riding all the Time"
    Post Thanks / Like

I changed two Exmark ZTR lawn mower tires on mine yesturday!
    2003 Gold Wing (Black)
    2002 VTX 1800C (Silver)
    OBAST Member #19

Owner/Operator Neighborhood Lawn Care
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Clippings Back"

"Hollow Points"--"From Those Who Care Enough to Send the Very Best"

"I hear voices, and they tell me they don't like you"

Post Thanks / Like

I've changed 25 to 30 MC tires on my HF tire changer ( even Harleys...) since I bought it about 4 years ago. Once you get use to it, its easy...
    2002 VTX 1800
    2005 GL1800 Black Cherry

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for the comments and to Mad Meteor for the pics. That really looks like a nice set up.

Steve

DUKE

'07 GL1800 Black Metallic, Premium Sound, Comfort, Navi. (sold)
    '03 VTX1300S Durango Red (sold)

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out the window.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.