GL1800Riders Forums banner

CSC optional fuel tank question

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  ben721364 
#1 ·
My friend has an '06 Wing with the CSC trike mod. He has an extra fuel tank that was installed during the conversion. We are curious as to how it works. How does it fill in relation to the main stock tank. Does it fill first and then the optional tank or does the optional tank get filled first. We would appreciate a schematic showing the plumbing operation if anyone can post it here. Thanks.

#2 ·
Don't have schematic but as to your questions, the aux tank fills at the same time as the stock tank. Both are vented and this allows the gas to fill and drain as one. I fill my tank slowly to allow the gravity feed to progress gradually and not overflow. After a few tries you will get a good feel as to the rate of fill. As the gas is used, the level in both tanks drop together and your gauge will drop according. Just remember it now holds 10 gallons and at half fill there is still app 5 gal left. When my reserve light comes on I still have app 3 gallons. Was told when it was built that when light comes on go for 75 more miles and then look at a full up. I know my trike enough that I will go 100 miles before I get serious about stopping. Hope this helps.

Check on CSC web site for more info.

#3 ·
Don't have schematic but as to your questions, the aux tank fills at the same time as the stock tank. Both are vented and this allows the gas to fill and drain as one. I fill my tank slowly to allow the gravity feed to progress gradually and not overflow. After a few tries you will get a good feel as to the rate of fill. As the gas is used, the level in both tanks drop together and your gauge will drop according. Just remember it now holds 10 gallons and at half fill there is still app 5 gal left. When my reserve light comes on I still have app 3 gallons. Was told when it was built that when light comes on go for 75 more miles and then look at a full up. I know my trike enough that I will go 100 miles before I get serious about stopping. Hope this helps.

Check on CSC web site for more info.
I like the way it works. There is a fuel line connector on the bottom of the oridg and aux tanks. So it auto fills and empties. It does take a little longer to fill but allows me to refill when the two wheelers do.

Here are the install instructions:
http://www.californiasidecar.com/downloads/VIPER_COBRA_Aux_Fuel_Tank.pdf

#4 ·
I have an 05 kit. The tanks are tied together at the bottom. The aux vent is tied into the vent from the main tank. Be aware there can be a problem with the aux vent. When the tank is full and it is very hot and you are in high altitude(like in Vegas), the vent can begin venting raw fuel to the vent line. This in turn will fill the charcoal canister and begin siphoning and dumping fuel on the ground. I don't mean dripping either!! But dumping fuel at an alarming rate. Had this happen last year in Vegas. There is a retrofit kit for this problem. Look at the new install instructions and you will see how they now tie the aux tank vent into the top of the main fuel tank. They sell this kit for $50. All it consists of is 2 fittings a grommet and some 1/4" fuel line. You can do this retrofit yourself. The grommet is from a small engine fuel supply, oregon part number 07-392. You can find the barbed 90 degree fitting that goes in it online also. You then drill a 13/64 hole in the proper place and install the grommet and fitting. Then remove the aux vent line from the original location and install it on the new fitting. Splice the OEM vent line back together. When installing the grommet and fitting into the tank, lube the barbed fitting and grommet with WD40 or eq. Warm the barbed fitting end slightly and work it carefully into the grommet. It is difficult to get it in, be patient or you will tear the grommet. At one time I believe they installed a check valve in the aux vent line to keep this from happening. But in certain conditions that would not stop the problem I described. This is how all the new installs are done. It supposedly allows for faster filling as well as addressing the other problem. Hope this helps.

#5 ·
I let it fill to the pumps auto shutoff. That gets it to requiring one gallon to finish it off. Twiddle my thumbs for a while and add the last gallon slowly.

#6 ·
Thank you all for your replies. I did check out the CSC website but couldn't find a schematic, but thanks to the posts here I really don't need it now.

#7 ·
Any of you have a aftermarket seat? When I ordered my new trike, the installer told me that the electrical relay panel under the seat would have to be relocated slightly and that my aftermarket seat might not fit.I opted out of the tank.

Having a 300 mile trike ,but only a 150 mile butt didn't make sense to me.

#9 ·
Any of you have a aftermarket seat? When I ordered my new trike, the installer told me that the electrical relay panel under the seat would have to be relocated slightly and that my aftermarket seat might not fit.I opted out of the tank.

I do know from personal experience that a Ultimate seat has to have the seat pan cutout to fit the auxiliary fuel tank!

#13 ·

/QUOTE]

That may be true of some of the off the shelf saddles. The top rated custom saddle builders like RDL and Rick Mayer use the stock pan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.