Gas mileage
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas mileage

what kind of gas mileage should I get, and how much will lose...???

Emmitt

You know itís time to clean the refrigerator when something closes the door from the inside.

Rides a Motortrike
    James 4:14

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gas mileage

Quote Originally Posted by baldy_54
    You can see 35-38 mpg uncorrected with a trike.
    What does "uncorrected" mean in this context? Does that mean per the on board computer? How does that relate to actual calculated mileage and under what conditions? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I get more like 28 - 34 GPS corrected MPG.

Wayne
    Wayne Thais

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I rarely pay attention to gas mileage, but one time I went 305 kms and used 24.5 liters of fuel.
    This was really pushing it and into some strong headwinds.

For all of our American friends, that's about 35-36 mpg, although in ours MPG (Imperial), so even lower yet for US mileage (approx. 32)?
    There are so many variables that affect MPG, weight of the rider(s), winds, road surface, tire pressure, quality of fuel, driving habits, etc. etc.

They say that you lose 10% mileage and 10% power when you trike.

I would say 10% power is about right, or maybe lower (maybe 5%), but MPG is higher, maybe like 15% loss.
    I don't really know about the mileage versus a 2 wheeler as I'm not sure what they get , although I've heard 45 MPG.
    It seems many BS about their mileage, but really who cares, so long as you are enjoying yourself.

On Work Release @ Soggy South Orygun Coast
    Post Thanks / Like

Figure on a 10% reduction in fuel mileage, 40% gain in fun factor, 100% increase in cost. Well worth it.
    Happiness keeps you sweet, trials keep you strong, sorrows keep you human,
    failures keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only God keeps you going

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IR Harry
    Figure on a 10% reduction in fuel mileage, 40% gain in fun factor, 100% increase in cost. Well worth it.
    I like the way you think!! I like the way you talk too!! I r Ellie.. happy to meetcha!!
    Take care of the rocks first.. the rest is just sand..

08 Goldwing dark red
    champion conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Over 65mph and loaded up I get 25-30mpg. Going at lower speeds than that I get in the low thirties. I have a 2001GL with a CSC kit.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The key to your best gas mileage is to keep your RPMs NO higher than 3,000. I can't wait for a 6 speed Gold Wing.
    Mike

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WEBTRIKED
    The key to your best gas mileage is to keep your RPMs NO higher than 3,000. I can't wait for a 6 speed Gold Wing.
    Mike
    About 3800 to 4000 rpm is the sweet spot for the BMW K1200LT trikes and 2 wheelers.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

On a recent rip to WingDing and back, we got an average overall (corrected by GPS) of 38.6 mpg. That's with a 2003 Goldwing, Motor trike and Escapade trailer with 400 pounds and a co-rider of 130 pounds and I weigh 185. I didn't think that was too bad. By the way ,after that distance the Goldwing registered 3 more miles than the GPS did.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from a 6000 mile trip out west. Best I ever got was 44mpg up in the altitudes where the computer had it leaned out. Worst was in a major headwind and it dropped to 22mpg. My usual average is between 32 and 34.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I average 36-38 mpg (Honda miles), best being 41 mpg on my Champion trike 2-up.
    The only easy day was yesterday!

'06 Gold/ Nav, Traxxionized & Championized Trike
    '09 HD Super Glide Custom 103" Stage lll

Post Thanks / Like

Normally between 33 and 35 measured by GPS. That's two up, no trailer, and driving like a sane person.

-Dan
    Dan

'06 GL1800/DFT
    IBA#42179

Post Thanks / Like

I just recently averaged 36mpg with two up and a Pakit-Rak on the rear.

When I pull the trailer with two up I get about 33mpg.
    Steven & Maria aka Forever Young
    2007 Honda GL1800 w/ Cobra CSC Trike

"You have no control over Your Birth or Your Death...But You Are Responsible For Everything Else In Between"........
    Rev. Billy Graham

Post Thanks / Like

I average around town and on the road.....32mpg. No doubt I could baby it and get better, or lead foot it and get less. But 32 is my average. Unless of course I am in Colorado, then it nears 45mpg. But alas, I am seldom in Colorado.
    '04 Wing/ '06 Champion Trike Kit

"When I talk to myself, no one is there. I miss me."

Post Thanks / Like

it depend on where you live and how fast you drive we are now gone 3000 miles and still got a 1000 miles to go to get home.we have got from 30-45 miles gal. if you are getting a trike and coming out west you should have aux. fuel tank

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dozerman
    it depend on where you live and how fast you drive we are now gone 3000 miles and still got a 1000 miles to go to get home.we have got from 30-45 miles gal. if you are getting a trike and coming out west you should have aux. fuel tank
    Amen on the auxiliary fuel tank for touring if available for your trike brand. It helps eliminate anxious moments!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely a matter of personal opinion. I have travelled more than 2 million miles and never had to carry spare gas in the US or Alaska. I like to smell the roses myself and actually see where I've travelled to. I haven't seen many lately that can ride out the whole tank and say they never saw a service station. I personally wouldn't carry the extra gas even if I did have the capability. Reminds me of a friend decades ago that always carried extra gas on toop of his fuel tank for lack of a better place to strap it on. He isn't here anymore because his container sprung a leak and soaked him and the bike in gas....it ignited from a spark plug discharge. BTW, I DO live in the west.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W7AX
    Absolutely a matter of personal opinion. I have travelled more than 2 million miles and never had to carry spare gas in the US or Alaska. I like to smell the roses myself and actually see where I've travelled to. I haven't seen many lately that can ride out the whole tank and say they never saw a service station. I personally wouldn't carry the extra gas even if I did have the capability. Reminds me of a friend decades ago that always carried extra gas on toop of his fuel tank for lack of a better place to strap it on. He isn't here anymore because his container sprung a leak and soaked him and the bike in gas....it ignited from a spark plug discharge. BTW, I DO live in the west.
    I hear ya, Lee. To each his own. An auxiliary fuel tank is certainly not a necessity but, I think it provides a measure of comfort that makes me feel better and it doesn't cost all that much. 'Feel' is important, according to a candidate for President.

I wouldn't be comfortable with a can of gasoline strapped onto the trike either.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ben, I didn't see an answer to "What does uncorrected mean" That means taking the bike's odometer reading. Goldwings and most other bikes have a 4-6% error as compared to actual GPS miles. For example, my odometer reads 104 miles when the actual miles reading is 100 miles.
    Bill & Angel
    CWO USN RET
    Farmington, Ar

beastie

Quote Originally Posted by oldtags
    Ben, I didn't see an answer to "What does uncorrected mean" That means taking the bike's odometer reading. Goldwings and most other bikes have a 4-6% error as compared to actual GPS miles. For example, my odometer reads 104 miles when the actual miles reading is 100 miles.
    My odometer was the same as yours, 4% high. That makes your mpg higher unless you "correct" for it. My speedometer was 8% high. I installed a "Yellow Box" http://www.blackrobotics.com/ and now my speedo is spot on at 70 and my odo is 4% low. So I still have to "correct" for true mpg.

Post Thanks / Like

My speedo is off like the rest I used the GPS to get the feel for just how much off it is. On several 300 + mile trips I reset the trip on the GPS and kept close watch of it at 50, 100, 150, 200. Mine is 3 miles low per 100, so I just add for compensation when figuring the true mileage..
    George Patrick Th.D.
    2012-GL1800,Hannigan Gen2
    2009 Roll-A-Home
    CMA Chapter #854
    USMC 66-74

Heb 13:2

Post Thanks / Like

Each to his own liking but I got the aux fuel tank and was the best option I selected. So glad I got it.
    Andy & Jan Armstrong

2003 Wing With 2007 Trike Shop Conversion

Post Thanks / Like

I get around 30-31...riding like an insane person...
    Jerry

We're pulling for you Bev

Life is Good!!!

2006 Black GL1800 TE CSC Cobra Trike - "Black Pirate III"
    AMA - LIMNCS #62

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas Mileage

07 GL1800 CSC,we average 35-37 riding 2up. Useing midgrade gas, pulling our trailer, 400 lbs, we drop down to around 29 to 32 depending how we drive, usualley around 68mph to 70mph, the better mileage at the slower speed. Have gotten more at higher elevations. Just depends on driving habits.

Post Thanks / Like

Default mpg

32 mpg but why does it matter your having fun right +1 -2 so what
    go ride and have fun !!!!!!!!!!Hi Dozerman glad to see ya on the board how ya been Blade
    Last edited by Blade52; 10-20-2009 at 11:04 PM.
    2008 GL1800 Hannigan Trike
    2003 GL1800 candy orange

Post Thanks / Like

28 to 31 mpg, ride with a heavy hand, must be doing something wrong, as I ride 1 up and never get the numbers posted on this forum.

Spencer 4 Free

Git-R-Done On A Goldwing !!!

Retired First Sgt Army
    Life Member DAV
    2004 Magenta CSC Cobra Trike

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never ridden a trike, and am looking forward to my first experience (you never know down the road...)

I figure though that if you can afford the conversion, the mileage difference should be a non-issue!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by IR Harry View Post

....I "average" 33mpg and that's riding like an insane person

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass
    ... it's about learning to dance in the rain".
    - BlkPirate -

'08, GL1800, Comfort/ABS/NAVI, CSC Trike
    Escapade Elite trailer
    Dark Side-#505
    LIMNCS-#117
    Prowler-#36
    --------------------

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Git-R-Done View Post
    28 to 31 mpg, ride with a heavy hand, must be doing something wrong, as I ride 1 up and never get the numbers posted on this forum.

Spencer 4 Free
    I get similar mileage to yours. Perhaps we need to learn to use 'new math' to calculate consumption. <g>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.