GL1800Riders Forums banner

Gas leak

891 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  nyjerry 
#1 ·
I just changed my rear tire by laying it down on the right side. While it was down it started leaking gas and by the time I got the new tire on there was about 1/3 to 1/2 gallon on the ground. Has anyone else had this problem. Hosed it all down and the bike started right up. Last year I put a new tire on the same way and did not see any leeks, but it was in the grass that time. Tank was about 3/4 full this time. NYjerry

#3 ·
Jerry, I have never had that happen on the bikes I've laid over. However, I always ask folks to try to have a small amount of gas (1/4 tank or less). My main reason for having less fuel is that I don't want the fuel to escape down the vent and into the charcol cannister under the front cowl. All of that long-windedness to say, I don't think gas should leak around your cap and if it did, you might want to find out if the cap is sealing properly....that is if you are certain you had the cap on tight.:thumbup: Good luck.

#5 ·
:agree: laying the bike down is the easiest way to change the rear tire, bar none. BUT - best to do with less than 1/2 tank because of the overflow and vapor recovery system. As mentioned above, check your gas cap for tightness and the O-ring still there. If the cap was tight, you probably just flooded out the overflow/vapor recovery line. Last time I did mine, didn't have actual leakage on the floor, but man you could smell the gas fumes.

But anyway, other than the mess doesn't hurt anything. Besides, easier to lift with an empty tank :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.