Drilling out stock muffler
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drilling out stock muffler

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drilling out stock muffler

Has anyone done this? I heard that you can remove the tips and drill out the muffler using a 1/2" drill that lines up with the outer two holes in the tips. I ride an 04 GL1800 and was thinking of upgrading my exhaust ,but if this will give me the sound im looking for at no cost ,great. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

NY, Woodbourne, Home of "Shin-Grips" & Board Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Drilling out stock muffler

Rocket,

I doubt that you will get the results that you are looking for. If you want a deep throaty rumble, you are going to have to purchase a V-Twin.

I have seen quite a few butcher jobs come into my shop, where the owner is looking for a used set of OEM pipes for replacement.

Bulldog

Post Thanks / Like

I drilled three 1/2" holes in the end of my mufflers (one on each side and one on top) when I put turndowns on mine. Changed the sound to just right for me, now I have three other wings to do, guess my buddies like it too.
    '08 Pearl White - Level II
    '08 Pearl White - Level II + CSC

<a href=http://www.grahampage.info/patriotguard_2.jpg target=_blank><font color=#0000ff>http://www.grahampage.info/patriotguard_2.jpg</font></a>

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it can be done
    Don't do 2 1 inch hole though
    Well you can, This is what I did, I ended up covering one of the holes. Then after riding a while, I'm back to them both being covered.
    But the second Hole I can uncover in a few Minutes if I desire some sound.
    It s a Bit Droney on the highway.
    05 30th Anniversary "The Dirty White Girl"

No Helmet wearing , Smoking, Drinking, Loud pipe, No Chrome, Radar Detector watching, Crush washer reusing Goldwing Rider.

Post Thanks / Like

I did this a few years ago using a then "new" product from the Pak-It Rak folks, I think they called it "Dial-A-Tone" or something like that. I don't know if they still sell them or not.

http://www.pakitrak.com/

They provide a template/adjustable baffle.You drill some holes in the end of your mufflers and attach the baffles. You can then rotate the baffle to adjust the size of the holes you just drilled, thus giving you anywhere from OEM quite to "Geeez, what kind of exhaust do you have on that thing!" settings.

I liked the sound produced with full open, (BTW I don't think anyone does this type of modification expecting it to "Sound Like A Harley", That is just stupid, It's a 6 cylinder for Christ's sake!). I did not like the drone produced at Highway speeds. I eventually switched to a complete Torqmaster Muffler and Loopz exhaust system, I'm very happy with that setup!

Stock muffler with exhaust tip removed.

Template/Baffle taped in place to drill pilot holes.

Retain screws in place. These can be loosened to rotate the baffle and adjust the "tone" of the muffler.

All seven pilot holes drilled, (use good drill bit, those mufflers are made of high quality steel, stainless I think!)

Drilling is finished on Muffler, larger holes are 3/8" if I recall correctly.

Installed baffle after removing "knock-outs" that where used as a template.
    Then just reinstall your exhaust tips.I had Turndowns and was able to adjust the baffles without removing the exhaust tip.

Bike was not extremely noisy, but it did turn heads at 100% open, Highway drone noise was more tolerable at 50% open but I still didn't like it on longer trips, was fun as all heck around town though!

Like I said I eventually switched to Torqmaster mufflers, but the baffles were certainly a cheap way to find out if I even liked a more open sound and even how open I may like it. With the baffles fully closed the bike was as quiet as OEM.
    2005 GL1800A Bright Blue Metallic
    GWBBA #58
    Darkside #527
    195/55R-16 Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP RunFlat
    A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be...
    -Albert Einstein

Where is Paul?

Post Thanks / Like

You want LOUD buy a HARLEY. There you will be accepted.

2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laen
    Buying a Harley with factory stock pipes does not equate to loud. It is only loud when the factory pipes are replaced with aftermarket items.

IBTrike

Quote Originally Posted by rocket47
    Has anyone done this? I heard that you can remove the tips and drill out the muffler using a 1/2" drill that lines up with the outer two holes in the tips. I ride an 04 GL1800 and was thinking of upgrading my exhaust ,but if this will give me the sound im looking for at no cost ,great. Thanks
    It could well void your engine warranty of you have an extended warranty.

Honda will use any excuse to void your warranty, and modifications to the engine or related systems would certainly apply.

IMHO, making your exhaust louder is not an "upgrade". It is a downgrade. Want noise?, get a Harley.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leaddog11
    That was really not necessary. That was not what he ask!!!!!!!!!!
    He is accepted here without a problem.
    +1 it's your bike, lets ride.....
    Enjoy the ride......Ride with people you enjoy.....
    Iron Butt Member #38995 (8/8/09 1010 miles)
    2007 Matellic Blue GL 1800
    Previous:
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic
    Suzuki 550
    1974 Honda 750 Four

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprise the noise Nazi's too this long to get here
    They must have been taking a Nap.

No Helmet wearing , Smoking, Drinking, Loud pipe, No Chrome, Radar Detector watching, Crush washer reusing Goldwing Rider.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bugsquawsher
    I'm surprise the noise Nazi's too this long to get here
    They must have been taking a Nap.
    Yeah, if he wants a different sound he should go for it - if he just wants noise he'll get that too on this board...
    08 G'Wing
    02 HD-FLSTCI
    LIMNCS #89

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Post Thanks / Like

Seems a very narrow minded few on this board need to get their hearing checked, they have lost the ability to distinguish between LOUD and a nice sounding exhaust system. I guess that goes along with their ability to make mostly rude, obnoxious, uninformed repetitive noise in nearly all things they have to say here, talk about being loud and obnoxious!
    GWBBA #58
    Darkside #527
    -Albert Einstein

Where is Paul?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07GoodLife
    That was really not necessary. That was not what he ask!!!!!!!!!!
    He is accepted here without a problem.
    +1 it's your bike, lets ride.....
    +2 Everyone's taste is a little different. I've got a friend with a Rune that has the 6 in 6 Jardine pipes. A better sounding bike you've never heard. It's not real loud actually but it has a sound akin to a Ferrari. When she (yes, I said SHE) fires up the rune, I get goose bumps. It's got just a TAD bit of backpressure pop to it which makes it sound just that much cooler. I'd love to see someone do a 6 into 6 setup on the wing.

Anyway - let the man do what he wants...it's his bike Your anti-noise opinion is duly noted and ignored.
    "Um..I'm a vwery good dwiver. Yeah. "
    Jeremy Whitehead
    Iron Butt Association # 49219

Traxxion Mega-Monty

The photo is of me standing in the radio operators compartment of a B17G bomber while in flight over Oshkosh, WI.
    The top hatch was stowed and that's my head sticking out through the top of the aircraft.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the drilling of the exhaust change the miles per gallon?

Just curious....

Be sure to wave back!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wingman57
    Does the drilling of the exhaust change the miles per gallon?

Just curious....
    I get the same 35-36 Real Miles-Per-Gallon I always have with and without drilled mufflers and now with my Torqmaster system.
    GWBBA #58
    Darkside #527
    -Albert Einstein

Where is Paul?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Rainman
    +2 Everyone's taste is a little different. I've got a friend with a Rune that has the 6 in 6 Jardine pipes. A better sounding bike you've never heard. It's not real loud actually but it has a sound akin to a Ferrari. When she (yes, I said SHE) fires up the rune, I get goose bumps. It's got just a TAD bit of backpressure pop to it which makes it sound just that much cooler. I'd love to see someone do a 6 into 6 setup on the wing.

Anyway - let the man do what he wants...it's his bike Your anti-noise opinion is duly noted and ignored.

I heard a 6/6 setup on a Valk one night on the way home from Quaker Steak bike night that I thought was just another hot rod until he passed the SUV behind us

A little loud for the distance riding we like to do, but BOY, did it sound GOOD

Hey, I heard someone say a Valkyrie was just a hot rod wing anyways.
    Jim and Brenda on:
    Another 2005 Bright Blue Metallic GL1800
    GWRRA
    Grandparents

Seen on a church marquee on Florida's east coast:

"To find peace, resign from managing the universe"

Post Thanks / Like

For whatever reason, I drilled mine a few years back. I used two 9/16" holes per muffler because that was the outer daimeter of the steel cap-plugs I had to plug them with in case it did not work out. It did not work out. The bike had flat spots in at least two areas of is central power band, sounded like an old MG Migit and droned obnoxiously going down the road at a steady speed. The cap plugs fit very snugly and serve well to reverse that bone headed mistake.

prs
    2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murf
    Buying a Harley with factory stock pipes does not equate to loud. It is only loud when the factory pipes are replaced with aftermarket items.
    I stand corrected

2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murf
    I stand corrected
    Remember the old Tarzan movies and features? Remember the mysterious elephant grave-yard legend where the ivory hunters could go and collect all that ivory from eons of deceased pachederms?

Somewhere, there must be an enormous graveyard of Harley mufflers!

prs
    2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the POSITIVE input.I like the ajustable baffle idea. Im a new member and am looking foward to being able to ask possably stupid questions and getting positive advice thanks again

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

rocket47

If you can get your little bolts out of you exhaust extention without breaking them off I suggest you put antiseize on them when you reinstall them.
    +1
    I now have only two on each Muffler.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBTrike
    It could well void your engine warranty of you have an extended warranty. Honda will use any excuse to void your warranty, and modifications to the engine or related systems would certainly apply.
    This statement is only partly true. It had been consistently upheld in court cases that manufacturers can not void warranties due to aftermarket parts being added. It's called the Magnuson-Moss Act.

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).
    Notice that it does say that if the aftermarket part can be linked to a failure that they can refuse to fix the failure under warranty but it most certainly does not void the entire thing.

Now drilling holes? There may be some room for interpretation there.
    '08 Titanium Comfort, Navi
    Picked up 4/11/08

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This thought has come to mind . it would require a little more labor but what if you took off the muffler and took a long drill bit , you can get them anywhere from standard length to 3 to 5 ft,, i use to be in the alarm buisness and they came in handy going through floors, anyway drill through the baffles from the front to back alittle at a time and and reinstall it and start it up and try it , just keep drilling until u get the desired sound, If someone had a spare set around it would be interesting too know what they would sound like i would bet it would be closer to a custom sound rather than the hole in muffler sound that is drilled in the end.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tbrdbob
    This thought has come to mind . it would require a little more labor but what if you took off the muffler and took a long drill bit , you can get them anywhere from standard length to 3 to 5 ft,, i use to be in the alarm buisness and they came in handy going through floors, anyway drill through the baffles from the front to back alittle at a time and and reinstall it and start it up and try it , just keep drilling until u get the desired sound, If someone had a spare set around it would be interesting too know what they would sound like i would bet it would be closer to a custom sound rather than the hole in muffler sound that is drilled in the end.

Having drilled almost everything on my Mufflers and repairing them after I messed up, I think I have a pretty good understanding how they are built.
    The Pipe that sticks out the back where the exhaust actually comes out.
    This Pipe runs almost up to the forward part of the muffler.
    It dead ends into a Baffle. This pipe is also perforated or full of holes.
    The exhaust come from the engine and fills the chamber around this Pipe and through these little holes and out the back.
    I did manage to open the front end of this pipe and found almost No sound difference.
    But putting holes in the Rear around the top of this pipe, Now that makes a difference.
    Another fun thing to do is Pull your Mufflers off and take her for a spin.
    That Sounds cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bugsquawsher
    Another fun thing to do is Pull your Mufflers off and take her for a spin.
    That Sounds cool.
    Actually I did do something similar to that. After cutting the CATS off the headers and installing my Torq Loopz, I wondered "What does this thing sound like completely uncorked???"

Fired her up, sounded cool, but funny thing was I expected it to be a lot louder. It is not anywhere close to the volume of my 1972 CB750K cafe (836cc) with an open 4-1 megaphone on it! But it was loud enough there was no way I would ride it on the street like that!
    GWBBA #58
    Darkside #527
    -Albert Einstein

Where is Paul?

Post Thanks / Like

Fired her up, sounded cool, but funny thing was I expected it to be a lot louder.
    There are catalitic converters on this bike. that may be the reason.
    Friend of mine ran straight pipes off his catalitic converters on an F150. Sounds great but not "your going to he--" loud .
    Quote Originally Posted by pshivers
    After cutting the CATS off the headers and installing my Torq Loopz, I wondered "What does this thing sound like completely uncorked???"
    Yes, I know...
    GWBBA #58
    Darkside #527
    -Albert Einstein

Where is Paul?

Post Thanks / Like

I also drilled some holes in the end of the mufflers, (one 3/4" hole in each one). Had too much of a drone at highway speeds so they are now plugged.
    Change number two was better and gives a nicer sound. I got a long 1/4" diameter rod and sharpened the end to a point.
    Threaded this through the exhaust tail pipe and through the muffler until it hit the very end baffle of the muffler.
    Hit the rod with a heavy hammer and punched a hole in the baffle plate. (greasing the rod helps get it back out). Use vice grips or a drill with reverse on the end that is sticking out of the tail pipe and pull as it is rotated to assist with the rod removal.
    The next step was to fit a 22mm hole saw onto the 1/4"rod. (this is the largest diameter that will go right through the muffler).
    I then drilled out the 1/4" punched hole to the new 22mm size. Go slow with the drill and the hole saw will retain the disc it cuts out.
    The end result is a deeper tone without the highway speed drone. Sound is a little louder than stock at idle, (you will need a standard Wing beside it for comparison), nice note under acceleration and a more powerful rumble under deceleration. Fuel economy appears unaffected, power appears to be neither increased or decreased with this mod. (I do not have a Dyno report).
    Disclaimer: Do this at your own discretion. I have provided this for information only in reply to the above post.
    I love the result, you may not.

Trev.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough".
    (Mario Andretti)

Silver 06 - since traded for 2013 F700GS BMW

Elite Camper Trailer - looking for a new home

Post Thanks / Like

Well I did it.I drilled two holes whitch lined up with the holes in the tips.I started small and worked my way up. Finally got to 1/2" and found the sound I like, not to loud but throaty enough to put a smile on my face. thanks for all the input. Ride safe

OnRamp

Great thread! Except for the geezers. I think I'll let mine 'ware' a bit before I do anything to them. They are starting to sound nice enough, naturally......for now anyway.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Right on, + one, couldn't have said it better, my sentiments exactly, you got that right. We sure as hell don't need, or want more noise around here.
    04 Kawi KDX220
    06 Suzi DL1000
    09 Suzi DR650
    11 Kawi Versys 650

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.