20 watts=how many amps ?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 20 watts=how many amps ?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 20 watts=how many amps ?

i know next to nothing about electricity but am interested in adding heat to the stock 02 seat

found what appears to be a nice seat heat kit on ebay for $50 delivered

they say it puts out up to 20 watts of heat and comes with a hi-lo switch

would like to hook it up to the 5 amp accessory terminals on the wing but since i already have Dual Star grip heaters hooked up there i am wondering if they will be able to handle the additional load ?
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com
    02 GL1800 yellow 422,000 smiles
    Rode my bike to Trailer Week
    Charter member Wisconsin Toughest Riders

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 20 watts=how many amps ?

Hey Mike....
    20 watts at the typical 14 volts DC coming from the running alternator regulator
    would be approximately 20/14 or 1.43 amps.
    The heat from the unit would be measured in BTU's I imagine.
    The electrical power used by the heater would be 20 watts.
    If they specified that power at the maximum, as it should be, then that 1.43 amps would be
    on the high heat setting of the switch.
    The low heat setting would probably be a setting of something more than half of that max.,
    as heater elements stop producing heat when the amps get too low.
    07-Burnt Orange-ABS/NAV CSC TRIKE

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

THANKS Dream Catcher

so it sounds like the seat heater and heated grips combined will not come anywhere near the 5 amp limit of the accessory terminals, i will probably order the kit tommorrow, heated seat should be great up here in wisconsin
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

Simple formula I use:

watts divided by volts = amps or

volts times amps = watts
    "Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies." Thomas Jefferson

"Those who create and issue money and credit direct the policies of government and hold in the hollow of their hands the destiny of the people." Reginald McKenna

“When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.” Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

The battery is listed as 12V 18 Ah. It is incorrect to calculate the current based on 14.4 volts.
    The workshop manual also states that it is fully charged at 13 - 13.2 Volts.
    Current should be calculated using a nominal 12 Volts.

VOLTAGE (20°C/68°F):
    Fully charged: 13.0 – 13.2 V
    Under charged: Below 12.3 V

14 volt batteries exist, but the Wing does not have one.

Trev.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough".
    (Mario Andretti)

Silver 06 - since traded for 2013 F700GS BMW

Elite Camper Trailer - looking for a new home

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auswing
    The battery is listed as 12V 18 Ah. It is incorrect to calculate the current based on 14.4 volts.

VOLTAGE (20°C/68°F):

Trev.
    Auswing is correct. Alternator and battery voltages may be over 12V when you put a meter on 'em but will drop to around this nominal 12V value when in use/under load. The bike is a 12V vehicle and everything should be calculated on that basis.

Formulae:
    V=IR where (V)oltage equals (I) current [amps] * (R)esistance [ohms]

thus R=V/I etc

P=VI where (P)ower [watts] equals (V)olts * (I) current [amps]

thus I=P/V or V=P/I etc

P=I2 R where (P)ower [watts] equals (I) current [amps] squared * (R)esistance [ohms]

thus.....you get the picture - change the side [of the equals sign] change the operator - haven't got a square root symbol for this font and bulletin board!!
    DB - WingCdr
    Prov Anti Chrome #1918

GL1800 Goldwing & XR125

Previously.....
    FJS600 Silverwing
    CBR1100XX Blackbird
    CBR1000F
    NTV650
    XL125R
    KE175
    CB100N

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Please explain why my volt meter reads 14 at idle and 14 + cruising? It's an 08.
    Thanks
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is that the alternator is charging the bike. Check the voltage with the alternator not charging (bike is off) and see what you get. The Goldwing alternator will begin charging at around 800 engine rpms...
    ​Rob in Maine
    IBA # 17985

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cycledude
    i know next to nothing about electricity but am interested in adding heat to the stock 02 seat

found what appears to be a nice seat heat kit on ebay for $50 delivered

they say it puts out up to 20 watts of heat and comes with a hi-lo switch

would like to hook it up to the 5 amp accessory terminals on the wing but since i already have Dual Star grip heaters hooked up there i am wondering if they will be able to handle the additional load ?
    cycledude,
    To eliminate your concerns, use a relay(s) that takes power directly from the battery (fused) for both the grips and the seat. The power to trigger/operate the relay(s) would come from the accessory terminal. Radio Shack has a good selection of 12v relays.

As far as the low side of the seat heater goes, it depends on how the heat is reduced. My old grip heaters had a single heating element and used a large resistor to cut the voltage to the heaters thus reducing the heat. That resistor did nothing to reduce the power that was used.

The newer grip heaters (Dual Star & Elect Connection) use heaters with dual elements; both are on for high and only one for low. With these the low setting actually uses less power.

Heated clothing uses a controller (HeatTroller?) that actually pulses the 12v to the clothing. For warmer clothing it sends 12v to the elements longer, with max heat gained with a constant 12v. It's basically an electronic on/off switch.

Just more info for your to consider.
    Cruise On,
    Ron
    2001 FLHTCUI - Scarlet Red/Birch White
    2003 GL1800 - Candy Red
    2005 Thunderbird - Inca Gold
    2011 Shelby GT500 - Red/W

Post Thanks / Like

There's not really a wrong answer when using 12V or 14V to calculate the current draw. When the bike is running the alternator is putting out around 14V, and when it's off the battery is supplying around 12V. Either way the calculated current isn't that much different:

20 watts @ 14V = 1.43 amps
    20 watts @ 12V = 1.67 amps

When I calculate current draw I like to use 12V because it gives me a small safety margin over the actual draw at 14V.

I agree with DrtiBird about using a relay. It wouldn't take much of a current spike to toast that 5 amp fuse at an inopportune time.
    My Goldwing page

Darksider #223

My trips

Post Thanks / Like

The wheel... If you know two of the variables (Like you knew wattage and voltage) the formulas below will cal the rest..

'07 CBR1000RR Fireblade "NESBA #74"
    '08 Triumph Rocket III Touring (SOLD)
    Dave's '03 GL1800 Candy Orange (Sold)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auswing

VOLTAGE (20°C/68°F):

Trev.
    Sorry Trev....but when the bike is running the battery has 14+ volts at it's terminals most of the time.
    If the loads the bike applies were to bring that voltage down to 12 volts, the battery would never get a full charge.
    Also, when the bike is running, it is the regulated output of the alternator that runs all electrical devices on the bike (including charging the battery at the same time).
    For this reason, in normal operation, the battery is not supplying anything to the system, but is in fact, just another load on the alternator's output.
    When calculating current draw for various wattage loads, the 14+ volts is the correct voltage to use, unless you only plan on connecting the load when the bike is not running. Then it would be correct to use the 12 volts in the calculation.
    Actually, the AGM batteries, in common use today, run closer to 13 volts than they do to 12.
    New vehicles will have a higher voltage regulator output to allow them to fully charge these newer style batteries. If you put an older (standard lead acid) battery in one of these newer systems, it will tend to overcharge...or boil the fluid off....the battery, possibly shortening it's life significantly.

Stan... I wouldn't go so far as to put it like you did "There's really no wrong answer...."
    But I agree with you that it's not that critical and you should be fine using either 12 or 14 for most situations. 13 volts would be a good compromise for estimates.

Mike, remember that some devices have a higher start up or "in-rush" current draw that only lasts for a blink as the device is turned on. Some heaters will draw more current than normal when they start heating the elements.
    If you install something and it blows the fuse, you can install a slightly large fuse to see if it's just the start-up current that is blowing it. If it blows with a slightly larger fuse, you should get the proper meters on the circuit and determine what it's doing.
    The Honda accessory terminal is fused at 5 amps and Honda sized that fuse with it's usual "buffer". The circuit can handle a couple more amps with no danger. So, if you need to put a 7.5 amp fuse in to keep it from blowing, it will work fine.
    I tend to agree with DrtiBird about using relays, just because I have boxes full of that stuff and like to overkill things..... but have to say that it's not required if the heaters are only drawing a couple of amps.
    07-Burnt Orange-ABS/NAV CSC TRIKE

Post Thanks / Like

Use relays and there will be no worries. One should only use the 5 amp fused ACC terminal for tripping relays which do the heavy lifting. Relays are easy once you understand how they work and what goes where. Click the pic for a complete explanation.

http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/basicrelay.html
    KD8OVH
    '06 GL1800 Black Stealth F-117
    Progressive monotubes & Traxxion tree
    Vietnam Vet - Infantry Recon 69'-71'
    Daughter serves as LoadMaster CJ Elvis USAFr

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the formulas I use... easy to remember and write even

P
    ----
    I | E

E
    ----
    I | R

The first one, PIE is for power (watts) where I is current (amps) and E is voltage (volts)
    The second EIR is similar but uses resistance in ohms instead of power.

Just write out the one you need to use (PIE) in this case. You want to find the current so put your finger over the I. That leaves you Power divided by Voltage. Or 20/12 which = 1.666667 amps

Knowing the current and voltage, if you wanted to figure the resistance of the circuit, you'd use the second formula and put your finger over the R which would leave you with E/I or 12/1.666667 which would equal 7.2 ohms

Quick, dirty, easy to remember and use and works for most circuits.

The mnemonics I use are PIE and EIRE (Ireland in Irish Gaelic)
    Rick Cross
    GL1800: A real butt-kickin', wheelie poppin', tire burnin', eye-catchin' "old man's bike".

My Blogs: www.opinionatedoldfarts.com www.facebook.com/OpinionatedOldFarts

Post Thanks / Like

Well after all that is said and done, 20 watts of heat ain't much. 20 watts X 3.414 = 68.28 Btus/hr. The average male body produces 450 to 500 btus/hr its self, so that 20 watt heater would do little to help warm you while riding in even cool weather. It would take 4 or 5 of them to produce enough heat to help.
    06, Dark Red GL1800
    Darksider #107
    Michlin Alpin 195/55/16 Run Flat (28psi) 5th one
    Bridgestone 701 bias ply front (36lbs)
    Rest in Peace, Beverly
    Florida Prowler #3

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnACman
    Well after all that is said and done, 20 watts of heat ain't much. 20 watts X 3.414 = 68.28 Btus/hr. The average male body produces 450 to 500 btus/hr its self, so that 20 watt heater would do little to help warm you while riding in even cool weather. It would take 4 or 5 of them to produce enough heat to help.
    first of all THANKS everyone for all your help !

John yes i agree 20 watts does sound like pretty low heat, my Dual Star grip heaters draw 36 watts on the hi setting, but then again there really isn't much chance of the heat from a seat heater escaping so i suspect 20 watts might be plenty, i ordered the 20 watt seat heater kit and will likely install it sometime next week, will give a report of how well it works then
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

compare the 20 watt output of this seat heat kit

to a set of gerbings pants or jacket liner

and you will soon see its of little use

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo
    Use relays and there will be no worries. One should only use the 5 amp fused ACC terminal for tripping relays which do the heavy lifting. Relays are easy once you understand how they work and what goes where. Click the pic for a complete explanation.
    Very good link Waldo. I saved the article to my Honda Tech folder. I save info like that because you never know when the web site will be taken down or when I can't find the link!
    Cruise On,
    Ron
    2001 FLHTCUI - Scarlet Red/Birch White
    2003 GL1800 - Candy Red
    2005 Thunderbird - Inca Gold
    2011 Shelby GT500 - Red/W

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, it IS appropriate and necessary to calculate use amperage based upon alternator/regulator voltage; because that will be most common use current -- a wise rider does not sit and use the accessory with the engine off. The fuses specified will typically have enough marginal range to handel the difference even if you do calculate the amperage or wattage with 12V, but the charging voltage is the one that counts. Voltage is similar to pressure and the higher charging pressure is needed to force the current through the battery to displace the electrons so they can be stored.

prs
    2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

To be perfectly accurate you need to know at what voltage the seat heater manufacturer rated the heater to put out 20 watts. If they rated it at 12.0 volts then you can calculate the current draw at that voltage to be 20W/12.0V=1.67 Amps.. If they rated it at 12.6 volts then you can calculate the current draw at that voltage to be 20W/12.6V=1.59 Amps.. etc., etc.

Now the important thing to know is that the heater will put out different wattage at different voltages, and draw different current. So if the heater is rated 20 Watts at 12 volts but your motorcycle battery is being charged to 14 volts (which is pretty typical while the engine is running) the the actual Wattage the heater will be putting out at 14 volts will be the voltage ratio squared times the wattage at the rated voltage or ((14/12)squared times 20Watts) or 1.361 times 20 Watts = 27.2 Watts! In other words a 20 Watt seat heater rated at 12 volts by the manufacturer will actually be putting out 27.2 Watts at 14 volts. 27.2 Watts at 14 volts is 1.94 amps, almost 2 Amps. Of course the difference will be less drastic if the seat heater manufacturer rated the heater to put out 20 watts at something higher than 12 volts, but it may be difficult to find out this information.
    '05 Metallic Silver

OnRamp

Try here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrtiBird
    cycledude,
    To eliminate your concerns, use a relay(s) that takes power directly from the battery (fused) for both the grips and the seat. The power to trigger/operate the relay(s) would come from the accessory terminal. Radio Shack has a good selection of 12v relays.

As far as the low side of the seat heater goes, it depends on how the heat is reduced. My old grip heaters had a single heating element and used a large resistor to cut the voltage to the heaters thus reducing the heat. That resistor did nothing to reduce the power that was used.

The newer grip heaters (Dual Star & Elect Connection) use heaters with dual elements; both are on for high and only one for low. With these the low setting actually uses less power.

Heated clothing uses a controller (HeatTroller?) that actually pulses the 12v to the clothing. For warmer clothing it sends 12v to the elements longer, with max heat gained with a constant 12v. It's basically an electronic on/off switch.

Just more info for your to consider.
    Actually, that big resistor did reduce the current, and therefore the power being used by your grips. Since E=IR, I=E/R. Since E (voltage) stays constant, if the resistance goes up, the current goes down. It becomes more difficult to squeeze as much electricity through a smaller pipe! When you switch in the resistor, the resistance goes up, the current goes down, so the power (in watts) also goes down. The advantage of the dual heat elements is that as the available voltage is reduced to the heater element, the efficiency goes down, so if you are dropping half the voltage across the resistor, that means that only 6 volts is available for the heater elements, and they do not get half as hot as they would at 12 volts. You could do the same thing by having two sets of elements wired in parallel, and remove one set for the low setting. In parallel, they both get the same voltage, but the resistance is halved, so they get twice as much current and put off twice as much heat.
    2003 Candy Orange GL1800; CB and XM
    Too bad they only made Candy Orange one year, because it is the best color!

Darksider #365

I'm retired and loving it! Well, my 401K took a dive, so I'm back to work part-time

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Warm & Safe Heat-troller™ is a DC (direct current), power controller designed for heated clothing, blankets, pads and other heated products that are powered by a battery. You can think of the Heat-troller™ as a dimmer switch for your heated products. It has a positive off and provides a full range of heat that is constant at any setting, just as a light dimmer switch gives you constant light at different levels.
    The Heat-Troller is a pulse-width modulated controller with a 1 second cycle time. That means that over a 1 second period, the power is turned on from about 10% to 100% of the time, adjustable with the knob on the controller. When the power is turned on, full power is applied to the load. In the example given, if the heated grip are 16 Watts each and the Heat-Troller is adjusted to 50%, the grips will get 16 Watts for half a second, then no power for half a second, giving an average of 8 Watts of power. The Heat-Troller is more efficient than a rheostat because it makes very little wasted heat when turned on. For two 16 Watt grips, the Heat-Troller makes less than 0.1 Watts of heat at 50%. A rheostat would make about 16 Watts of wasted heat at the same 50% setting.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well the 20 watt seat heater kit is installed and it works GREAT, plenty of heat, actually maybe more heat than i needed, 15 watts probably would have been perfect for me

so far i've only used it on a bunch of short trips

today i plan to use it on a 100+ mile trip then should have a better idea if the heat level is acceptable or if i need to add somekind of heat control instead of just the simple on-off switch

edit
    well i rode about 100 miles today, it was raining and snowing, good thing i am able to look over the windshield because it snowed hard enough to totally cover the windshield

the 20 watt heated seat works great but it gets a little to hot sometimes, a heat troller would be better than just the on-off switch but i hate to spend the extra $50
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.