Mobil 1 racing 4t Oil (WOW)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mobil 1 racing 4t Oil (WOW)

Gold-Winds

Default Mobil 1 racing 4t Oil (WOW)

I changed the oil on my 09 GW today, to Mobil 1 racing 4t and an OEM filter , (Made in Japan). From whatever Oil the factory installs when new.

And WOW, am I dreaming My Goldwing seems to have gained Horse Power, smooth, changes gears like a Lexus. I don't know what Mobil 1 puts in the Oil but I am impressed.

My GW will live it's life on Mobil 1 racing 4t. Thank you Mobil for making a product that is really worth the money.

No, I don't work for Mobil, in case you asked.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't let you know who get a snoot of this

And +1 on the Mobil 1

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._4T_10W-40.asp
    Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is recommended for four-cycle motorcycles which specify the use of a 10W-40 engine oil. It provides excellent performance in motorcycle engines that are designed with a common engine/transmission lubrication system or where the engine lubrication system is separate from the transmission system. In the case of the latter, follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of fluid to be used in the transmission. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 engine oil is also designed to provide the proper frictional characteristics necessary for wet-clutch engine/transmission systems. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 exceeds the requirements of API Service Categories SH, SG/CF, CD, JASO MA and has been fully tested, both on laboratory dynamometers and in the field, to provide optimum horsepower and acceleration.

Post Thanks / Like

Where did you buy this oil and what's it's cost, I'm not real happy with the AMS oil that I'm using, the transmission doesn't shift that smooth. I'd like to try the 4t.

Lee
    York, Pa
    2007 GL1800 Audio, Black
    USAF Retired, 1956 to 1980
    Nam, 66/67
    My wife is my best friend

Gold-Winds

Autozone auto parts $9.50, some Walmarts $8.99 and on online, Autobarn.com and others.
    But if you have to pay shipping online, you may as well buy local.

I called Mobil customer service and was told it would be fine for the Goldwing, as Fred has a statement from Mobil on his post here.

Thanks Fred.

Gold-Winds

Talking

By the way, I found the Mobil1 Oil information from other GL1800 board members here, and on their recommendation I tired it, and am very happy I did.

I did not want to take credit for finding the Mobil 1 Oil for our Goldwings that others have used for a while.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It ain't the oil, it's the new crush washer. You did change the crush washer didn't you?
    It will all be fine in the end. If it ain't fine it ain't the end!
    Ty- White Gold'ster
    GWBBA #96

Searider

Quote Originally Posted by White Gold View Post
    It ain't the oil, it's the new crush washer. You did change the crush washer didn't you?
    I've used Mobil 1 4T Racing in both VTX and the Wing. However, this time I did NOT change the crush washer. I fully inspected it, measured it with a micrometer, compared that reading to a new crush washer (Yes I bought some from Hal!!!), and found that I still had more than 15/16 crushability left in the old washer!

Post Thanks / Like

"15/16 crushability left "

HAHA!!! I think you must have picked up and measured your donut by mistake. You gotta keep those work benches clean ya know.
    My Rides:
    '08 Goldwing Red ABS
    '00 Black Valkyrie (gone now)
    '00 Black 750 ACE (for fun)

Seasoned Member
    usually on your ignore list or in Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you provide a source of the Japanese produced OEM filters? I'd like to get some of those as they seem to have a far better spec than the US version?
    http://gl1800riders.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=41006&dateline=122770  7621

08 GL1800ABS Black - Gone but not forgotten
    06 ST1300ABS Black - Gone but not forgotten

ATGATT

IBA# 30395

SCRC 101 Road Captain

ARRL Life Member - NS1A

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ldr_doug View Post
    Can you provide a source of the Japanese produced OEM filters? I'd like to get some of those as they seem to have a far better spec than the US version?
    My local dealership is were I get mine.
    Last edited by murf; 12-06-2008 at 08:00 AM.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Switched to the 4t racing oil about a year ago and I agree it made a hugh difference. Gears change extremely smooth and quiet. My milage went up almost 3mpg. It is not "energy conserving" and is recommended for bikes with wet clutches like the wing. Great stuff!
    Mike Anderson

2002 Illusion Blue 1800 w/ 2006 CSC Trike Conversion
    2006 Illusion Blue Escapade Trailer
    2012 Silver/Black FLHK Ultra Limited

Gold-Winds

The made in Japan Honda OEM filter is a 15410-MCJ-003.
    I got these filters from Hondadirectline about a year ago, for a 2005 Honda ST1300 I used to own, the Goldwing uses the same filter.

But I think Honda has changed to a more universal Filter that is now made in USA, well that's better than China anyway.

Once I run out of the Japaneses filters I will use the Mobil1 108 or 110 filters.

I am very happy to be using such a great product ( Mobil1 4T ) right from the start.
    I used Honda oil in my ST1300 and did not care for it, shifting was not smooth.

Legend in His Own Mind Teaser 1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mobil 1 4T or Amsoil is all my bikes have ever had after the intial break in periods, it is excellent but pricey. Many different bikes ran very hard, no internal mechanical issues ever, nuff said.
    Friend of fast, Foe of slow

Post Thanks / Like

Mobil 1 4T

my wing is happy with Mobile 1 4T...
    Thanks,
    Tommy
    2012 GL1800 - Blue (Level III, everything but the airbag)
    Seat by Russell Day-Long
    Windshield by "F4 Customs" (+4)
    2013 Piggy Backer XL

2006 GL1800 - Titanium (Audio, Comfort & NAV) Gone, but not forgotten
    Prowler #08

Retirement means = No place to be and all day to get there !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
    Don't let you know who get a snoot of this

And +1 on the Mobil 1
    LOL Now that is funny no matter who you are

hmm I just got a error "message is too short to post" Now i know why i always have been long winded in the past LMAO

The following errors occurred with your submission:
    1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pita Lee View Post
    Where did you buy this oil and what's it's cost, I'm not real happy with the AMS oil that I'm using, the transmission doesn't shift that smooth. I'd like to try the 4t.

Lee
    York, Pa
    You can try the Mobil 1 4T but I bet after about 3,000 miles, the trans will start clunking again just like it does using Amsoil. All oils break down (mineral oils way sooner) and let the clunking begin. It's the nature of the beast.

Gold-Winds

I will change the Oil with Mobil1 4T every 3500 Miles or 4 months, That's what makes me feel good, and I'm sure my GW will run well too.
    For the money I spent on the bike , I want it to run in tip top shape, $40-50 is not going to break the bank.
    living in Florida, there is a lot of humidity & moisture so I don't want any water in my Oil.

As far as Amsoil is concern, I could not give a A--, I have never used it in my cars or trucks and I am not using it in my GW.

I never heard of Amsoil, until I came on this board. My cars & trucks all get Mobil1 truck / SUV oil and Mobil1 Extended Performance Oil and run great, when you pay $$$$ for your vehicles your not going to use Walmart Oil.

Having good maintenance on my vehicles is why I never had a break down.
    Regular Oil changes is cheap insurance.

storm

I don't know but I'm pretty sure the Goldwing is "built for" regular oil so using anything else will probably maim and kill. At least that is via popular opinion.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't find this post until after doing my first oil change with Mobil 1 Racing 4T. A few months ago I found it on sale at Auto Zone. It will be interesting to see if the 2010 GL1800 shifts better than before, but since it shifted well with the previous Honda oil, not sure if I'll be able to tell the difference. I may know shortly, since I'm headed out for a ride. I must say that oil looked nice and slippery!

Also, first oil change on the GL, and I found it much easier to service than my ST1300. The biggest issue was reinserting those bolts holding the belly pan. The first owner changed the oil every 2500 miles with regular Honda oil. I'll probably change every 5000 miles with this Mobile 1, or maybe Amsoil, which I used in my ST.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gold-Winds View Post
    Autozone auto parts $9.50, some Walmarts $8.99 and on online, Autobarn.com and others.
    But if you have to pay shipping online, you may as well buy local.

I called Mobil customer service and was told it would be fine for the Goldwing, as Fred has a statement from Mobil on his post here.

Thanks Fred.
    Wally World sells it to. Just not with all the other oils. At least in my WW. I put it in my bike and just went to Rotella 15w40. New oil is always a WOW. Same with the 15w/40.

Notorious Rocket Scientist The Astute Reader(tm)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Greetings!

Both Autozone and Advance Auto Parts have sales on the Mobil One 4T MC oil several times a year; usually a dollar off per quart. I wait until one of them has a sale and then I buy eight quarts.
    Best Regards,
    Lee E. Brown

"Greetings from Herkheimer Industries!"

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the Mobil1 4T oil for years. I have quite a few local riders using it also. Yes, it does make the bike ride and shift much better. I know that there will be a few here on the forum will put it down because it isn't as cheap as the wallyworld oil. For me, if I spent that much on a bike, I'm treating it good also. A couple of extra bucks doesn't matter at this point.

I usually buy the oil at the local AutoZone dealer. I buy it by the case (6 qts to a case) and always have some on hand. At the same time, I also purchase the Mobil1 oil filter as it seems to be one of the better made filters out there. Again, I'm not going to "cheap" the maintenance on my bike to save a buck or two. I've done my homework and I'm quite satisfied with my selections and purchases.

For those of you who shop AutoZone, at times when I'm going past the store, I'll stop in. I ask if there are any in-store sales going on. I have saved up to and even more than $2 off of a quart of Mobile1 4T oil sometimes. But you have to ask.

For you Harley riders, Mobile1 also makes a Harley flavor (V-Twins) of this synthetic, very good oil.

Post Thanks / Like

Mobil 1 is good oil but I change mine every 3000 so I don't think synthetic is worth the cost. If I didn't like changing oil so much I`d probably use the synthetic and go 8000 between changes like mother Honda recommends.

That is usually what I do when I`m going on a long trip and don't want to mess with changing oil on the road. Other than that type of scenario its dinosaur oil all the way for me.
    2003 Goldwing 1800 Silver

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There is another thread on this, but here is a $10 off coupon for Mobile One (big jug or 5 quarts): Click Here

This is an AutoZone coupon, being distributed by Mobile, but WalMart will honor it (I've used 5 of them in the last week!). WalMart does have the 4T Racing oil in quarts, but not all stores carry it. WalMart has the jugs for about $10 less than AutoZone at the normal price, so you can save $20 at WalMart over AutoZone with this coupon. I was out the door at WalMart for $16, for a five+ quart jug.
    Last edited by ICTGhost; 09-15-2011 at 09:57 AM.
    2008 Honda Goldwing
    Titanium Level 2 GL1800

2007 Honda VFR800
    Candy Glory Red Interceptor

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4T

Great, just great..I have been using new crush washers when I could have used a donut that has been pre-compressed to 15/16ths of its usable thickness..
    If I choose to use Mobil1, can I stop using crush washers? is it safe to use Mobil1 if I run a car tire?
    Will the insurance company turn down my claim if I run mobil1 ? So many questions..

Joe Jolly
    2010 Titanium

Kumho RF
    Darkside 1080

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the Mobile 1 in all my bikes for several years. I changed every 4000 miles on my Kawasaki Nomad and have started the same routine for the 2010 Goldwing. The main advantage to synthetic is that the molecules do not breakdown with age so it keeps the viscosity and can continue to absorb dirt out of the engine.

A friend of mine with the 1500 Valkrye just past 100K and he broke down the engine. He has used synthetic the entire time and it was clean as a whistle inside.

I figure if it costs $50 for an oil change every 4000 miles, that is .0125 cents per mile. That is cheap insurance.
    Last edited by Vtail; 09-16-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gold-Winds View Post
    I changed the oil on my 09 GW today, to Mobil 1 racing 4t and an OEM filter , (Made in Japan). From whatever Oil the factory installs when new.

And WOW, am I dreaming My Goldwing seems to have gained Horse Power, smooth, changes gears like a Lexus. I don't know what Mobil 1 puts in the Oil but I am impressed.

My GW will live it's life on Mobil 1 racing 4t. Thank you Mobil for making a product that is really worth the money.

No, I don't work for Mobil, in case you asked.
    How many miles was on the oil you changed out?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.