How Many Miles From A Goldwing Engine? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Many Miles From A Goldwing Engine?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roadking522 View Post
    I can't figure out why anyone would even think about putting more then 30K on a Wing before trading ?? (2K for a Harley) What you all don't seem to realize is we live in a "throw away" culture and that keeping a Bike beyond a year or two is the reason our economy is hurting. For heaven's sake, wise up and trade those Old hackers in. Or better yet, just ride them to the junk yard and get them out of circulation. They shoot horses don't they?
    It sounds as though you have a disposable income that others may not. That's cool! I wish I could say that I do..

At the moment, I am only concerned about my economics. I plan to ride mine into the ground hopefully with over 100K on it; only have 14K now.

Thanks for advice though!
    Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crying over an old girl

My '04 wing was torn down at 36K. Circlip fell off the starter and apparently made a mess of the engine ... (7 months in the shop). Just sayin' your mileage will vary dramatically. The transmission is clanking when I pull hard in third gear at 52K. Anyone got Lemonade?

I had 150K on my 1500 before I traded it in, I am sure that old girl is still riding and riding and riding...
    Bev, we will miss you.

The "Black Pirate" has left us a message. Did you get it?

Florida Prowler 42

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ran into a guy last summer with 260000 km - about 160000 miles told me nothing but routine oil change etc
    Peter
    # 111 LIMNCS
    2008 Metallic Red ABS Goldwing, Traxxion Full Monty,Lots of other fun stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Coming up on 145,000 smiles on my '01 without any problems other than fork seals/bushings @ 90,000 mi., and that was covered under the extended warranty.
    Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 42,500 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
    Central CA.

On Work Release @ Soggy South Orygun Coast
    Post Thanks / Like

Would be interesting to hear from someone that has rebuilt a Goldwing engine because it was worn out. Not talking about broken, ran hot, wrecked, submerged, but just plain worn out. You know - would not pass a leakdown test, oil out the valves, no compression, rattling bearings. I have never seen one that was worn out - and the most mileage I have seen on one was an 1100 with 445K miles on it, still looking good and running just fine.

Have seen broken engines - try riding one down a boat ramp at about 40 in second. Or not running antifreeze and let it set outside in -20 weather. Or forgetting to put the engine oil back in and taking it for a 50 miles test drive.
    Happiness keeps you sweet, trials keep you strong, sorrows keep you human,
    failures keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only God keeps you going

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IR Harry View Post
    Would be interesting to hear from someone that has rebuilt a Goldwing engine because it was worn out. Not talking about broken, ran hot, wrecked, submerged, but just plain worn out. You know - would not pass a leakdown test, oil out the valves, no compression, rattling bearings. I have never seen one that was worn out - and the most mileage I have seen on one was an 1100 with 445K miles on it, still looking good and running just fine.

Have seen broken engines - try riding one down a boat ramp at about 40 in second. Or not running antifreeze and let it set outside in -20 weather. Or forgetting to put the engine oil back in and taking it for a 50 miles test drive.
    Good point! Anyone have one to wear out?
    Current rides.....
    2009 Titanium Honda Goldwing Airbag
    2008 Yamaha WR250R
    2003 Silver Honda ST1300
    2001 Roulette Green Triumph Tiger 955i
    2000 Red BMW R1100R
    Time-Out Camper
    DS #534

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IR Harry View Post

I guess I'm the closest you'll get to that with my tear down at
    1.2 million miles just to inspect the engine for wear...

Life is not measured by how many breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away...

It doesn't matter where you go in life,it's who you have beside you. and I have the best beside me at all times"

02 1800

Darksider # 222

Falken 195/55-16 bead lock 44PSI
    Full Traxxion

RIP: JPINPA.....ZOOM ZOOM

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PunkinDave View Post
    Never heard of anybody opening the engine for anything other than transmission or alternator dampning issues... As many of the answers here state, over 200k isn't unreasonable to expect. Got tired of mine at 78k and it still ran like new..

Kinda makes the oil threads seem kinda ridiculous doesn't it??
    Yep.

Post Thanks / Like

i would think after 100000k the cam chain should be checked. The cars run over thousands of miles with no problems. I have an accord and they recommend the timing chain be changed every 100k. Its not necessary but hey a thousand dollar investment for a long tern of driving. i have over 170000 on the accord and it is still going strong. i have only 37k on my 03 which sounds like nothing but i will see. i am wanting to get a new one but who knows
    You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist's office
    Less Is More Non Chrome Society #1'000'000
    2003 Metallic Silver Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke View Post
    i would think after 100000k the cam chain should be checked. The cars run over thousands of miles with no problems. I have an accord and they recommend the timing chain be changed every 100k. Its not necessary but hey a thousand dollar investment for a long tern of driving. i have over 170000 on the accord and it is still going strong. i have only 37k on my 03 which sounds like nothing but i will see. i am wanting to get a new one but who knows
    Problem is that on a car, a broken timing "BELT" can cause serious engine damage if it breaks while the engine is running (bent valves and holes punched in piston tops) The Goldwing is a chain so this is not a concern...

Normally the belt failure occurs when the car is being started, but not always.. That's why the replacment is a maint item, so you don't trash the entire engine..
    '07 CBR1000RR Fireblade "NESBA #74"
    '08 Triumph Rocket III Touring (SOLD)
    Dave's '03 GL1800 Candy Orange (Sold)

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hopefully mine will run for a little while yet
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com
    02 GL1800 yellow 422,000 smiles
    Rode my bike to Trailer Week
    Charter member Wisconsin Toughest Riders

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PunkinDave View Post
    Problem is that on a car, a broken timing "BELT" can cause serious engine damage if it breaks while the engine is running (bent valves and holes punched in piston tops) The Goldwing is a chain so this is not a concern...
    Whether or not a belt or chain is responsible for cam timing is not really relevant as far as possible damage.

What is important is whether or not the engine is an <interference> design or not. Interference designed engines will indeed have contact between valves and pistons if a belt (or chain) breaks.

Non-interference engines will suffer no damage, since it is not possible for the valves and pistons to contact each other.

I have no idea if the Goldwing is an interference design or not.
    ​Rob in Maine
    IBA # 17985

Post Thanks / Like

There is a replacement interval for timing chains. You are supposed to measure the length of the chain and see how much it has stretched. You measure a few links, and then multiply by the number of links to get the overall length. If it is beyond limits, you need to replace it. The cam chain tensioner can only take up so much slack so there is a limit on the acceptable amount of stretch of the chain.

Though I haven't heard of anyone actually replacing one on a GL1800, but that doesn't mean that there aren't a bunch of bikes out there running around with chains that are stretched out. This could also be a contributing factor to folks that complain of "tapping noises" coming from the valves on bikes with higher mileage on them.

I'm not sure if the GL1800 is an "interference fit" engine or not, but doubt that it matters much as I have not heard of a chain actually breaking on a GL1800, but I suppose it is possible. There are also TWO chains on the GL1800 engine, one for each head.

The cam chain guides also wear and may need to be replaced on high mileage bikes.

Post Thanks / Like

How Many Miles From A Goldwing Engine?

Like a tootsie pop we may never know.

2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
    There is a replacement interval for timing chains. You are supposed to measure the length of the chain and see how much it has stretched. You measure a few links, and then multiply by the number of links to get the overall length. If it is beyond limits, you need to replace it. The cam chain tensioner can only take up so much slack so there is a limit on the acceptable amount of stretch of the chain.

Though I haven't heard of anyone actually replacing one on a GL1800, but that doesn't mean that there aren't a bunch of bikes out there running around with chains that are stretched out. This could also be a contributing factor to folks that complain of "tapping noises" coming from the valves on bikes with higher mileage on them.

I'm not sure if the GL1800 is an "interference fit" engine or not, but doubt that it matters much as I have not heard of a chain actually breaking on a GL1800, but I suppose it is possible. There are also TWO chains on the GL1800 engine, one for each head.

The cam chain guides also wear and may need to be replaced on high mileage bikes.
    my chains were measured at 150,000 and indicated almost no wear

guess its about time to measure them again
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com
    02 GL1800 yellow 422,000 smiles
    Rode my bike to Trailer Week
    Charter member Wisconsin Toughest Riders

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting about the chains. I though that with cars you were supposed to replace them at certain intervals (100K or whatever) *regardless* of the stretch. Because even if they are not stretching, after so many cycles and so much time the risk of a snap is increased either way. Maybe I misunderstood this topic.

If my wing makes it to 100K I may change the timing chain just to feel better about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fiver View Post
    Interesting about the chains. I though that with cars you were supposed to replace them at certain intervals (100K or whatever) *regardless* of the stretch. Because even if they are not stretching, after so many cycles and so much time the risk of a snap is increased either way. Maybe I misunderstood this topic.

If my wing makes it to 100K I may change the timing chain just to feel better about it.
    On cars, it was more the lousy single-roller chain and ceramic timing gears that needed changing after a bunch of miles. When you do a good rebuild you use double-roller steel gears and chain and forget about it. You might look at the Goldwing at 100K if you want to, but I doubt if you will have to do anything.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 267,000 miles

I saw one in VA a couple of years ago and it had 267,000 miles on it. It was still going strong. The fellow was on a long run and must take real good care of it. It didn't have dirt spot on it and I only saw a couple of scratches and they were tiny.
    Ken in Keystone Heights, Florida
    American, USN DAV
    Proud grandfather of a U.S. Marine
    God, Country, Family
    2008 Red metallic GL1800
    1989 Wineberry GL1500
    1987 Silver GL1200
    1982 Black/gold GL1100
    DarkSider # 293
    http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt (DarkSider CT info site)

Waving it proudly...!
    History teaches that a society that does not value its warriors will be destroyed by a society that does.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When I attended the Honda Homecoming in 2004, I asked one of the associates (employee) that was giving the walking tour of the motorcycle plant how long the GL1800 engine would last. He said Honda engineered the engine to last a minimum of 300,000 miles before the engine might need to be opened up.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Over 160K. The engine still runs strong and I've abused it. Saw the oil light on a couple of occasions; switched back to regular oil. My problems are accessories and wiring problems. Had a wheel bearing strand me once at 100K.

The GL1800 can easily live its entire life under 4,000 RPMs and still be very respectable in performance. Treated as such and with the infamous proper maintenance, the running gear would last forever.
    Tom Franken
    03 GL1800A
    Member Darksider International #00001
    tom@tomfranken.com
    www.tomfranken.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many miles

I had 221,000 on my 1500 when I sold it, still started and ran as good as my 02 1800 with 7,000 mi. when I got, haven't done anything to it now has 50,000 and runs like a scalded dog.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago I was at a dealer that had two Gold Wings on the floor... each had in excess of 100,000 miles. We were snickering a bit because (normally) a high-mileage motorcycle would NOT be on the show room with the new bikes. And they weren't giving them away, either. We found that amusing. Well, before we left, a fella bought one of them and another guy put money down on the remaining bike. The sales guy informed me that they were good for at least another 100,000 miles. Didn't really believe it at the time, but do now. We got our first wing in May 2007 and have just 30,000 miles on it. Not a single sputter. It's nice to see that mostly everyone is getting tremendous service out of their Gold Wings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
    A few years ago I was at a dealer that had two Gold Wings on the floor... each had in excess of 100,000 miles. We were snickering a bit because (normally) a high-mileage motorcycle would NOT be on the show room with the new bikes. And they weren't giving them away, either. We found that amusing. Well, before we left, a fella bought one of them and another guy put money down on the remaining bike. The sales guy informed me that they were good for at least another 100,000 miles. Didn't really believe it at the time, but do now. We got our first wing in May 2007 and have just 30,000 miles on it. Not a single sputter. It's nice to see that mostly everyone is getting tremendous service out of their Gold Wings.
    I bought my '81 GL1100 new for $3295.

I sold it 20 years later, with 125,000 miles on it, for $3000.

The gentleman who bought it thought he was getting a good deal, too.

There was no doubt in my mind that that bike would have no problems reaching 250,000 miles.
    Enjoying the ride,
    Digger

AMA Charter Life Member #109
    '05; Non-ABS; Pearl Yellow; 71,xxx Miles
    I don't own a cage.

http://www.astronautbiker.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 211Chuck View Post
    I even tore down a 1.2 million mile 81 Wing just to check it out for a customer that thought it was time to take a look inside being he was keeping bike for the rest of his life. When I checked everything out only 3 parts were close to being out of spec (he wanted them changed even though they were still good) I was amazed at this engine. He changed oil every 6,000 miles using petroleum based oil,he changed tires,brake pads,two u joints but other then that he rode the crap out of the old girl.
    Now there is some REAL peace of mind.
    2006 ABS Gold (Built in U.S.A.), Full Mega Mondo Monte, Lots of extras! (3/25/2006) - PROGRESSIVIZED - Full Monte (Wing Ding 29) -WingSoft Large Complete Seat Modification, Full Mega Mondo Mega Plus Mega Monte.
    Gold: The color with the most muscle! (Muscle and Fitness Magazine, June 2006, page 48 )

Fred Harmon's DVDs: The best and only DVDs you'll ever need for maintaining a GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

I sold my 93 Wing in June with 256,000 miles on it for $6,000. My 04 has 197,611 miles on it today, 10/25/09. It has never had any valve shims. Did have an alternator fail, and the alternator drive is noisy.

Final drive large bearings got noisy at 110,000 miles. Oil consumption now is 6,500 miles to the quart or 26,000 miles per gallon where is the average fuel consumption is 39.5 miles per gallon and 34 miles per teaspoon of oil or fuel to oil ratio of 658 : 1.

Looking into valve seals or other areas to find where oil may be going. Some new Wings early on were using more oil than mine is now. Change oil at 8,000 miles. No leaks and no smoke.
    Help downsize Government! Encourage private industry!
    Make things here, sell them in the Mid and Far East!!
    Ship goods out. Bring dollars in. Strengthen America!!
    Texan since 36, Rider since 52, Bike/Trailer riden' since 57. Passed 1,000,000 motorcycle miles 6/16/08.
    '10 GL 1800A '04 GL 1800A, '04 Tailwind XTc (We make 'em), '75 TEFCO Streamliner

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

On the oil issue, my Dad had an old six cylinder Ford truck on the cotton farm in Arkansas with over 300k on the clock and was still going strong. I asked him one day what oil he used and how often he changed it(thinking I was about to find out the secret to long engine life). The answer shocked me, his reply was "whatever is on sale at Wal-Mart and I change it when I think about it". I read some of the discussions on oil and have to think that it really doesn't make much difference what oil or filter one uses since we have not heard of anyone wearing out an 1800 engine. Go figure.

Just my .02 worth.
    '09 Pearl Yellow Air Bag
    '94 Pearl Yellow Bushtec Turbo II

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A truckload, I'm hopin. My '04 just passed150,000 miles today.

I was going to set the cruise at 150 mph and take a picture but I ran I to some problems.

"Real" Big Dogs don't need to bark!

It's only an "Old Man's Bike" if you ride it like one.

IBA # 25105
    1000 in 24 (Certified
    1500 in 36 (Certified)
    1500 in 24 (Certified)

Darksider # 37
    Double Darkside (on the slab)
    Bridgestone Bias-ply G701

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trialsman View Post
    A truckload, I'm hopin. My '04 just passed150,000 miles today.

I was going to set the cruise at 150 mph and take a picture but I ran I to some problems.
    Cruise control won't work above 105 but if you set 105, then hit the button a couple times, it will still hold at 108.. hit the button again and it shuts off LOL ..... Don't know how you would get it to hold 150.... with out changing some parts in it....

jmho

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ddking View Post
    Just met Paul Duffy [great name!] down here at New Smyrna Beach. He used to ride for Honda for a living. Had over 600,000 on his 1500 with all original equipment. He now has on 02 with over 400,000...all original.

Yeah, this guy lives nearby and he stopped by the bike shop one day and talked to me about the wing. The thing that surprised me about his bike was that it was completely stock, i dont think he even had footpegs or a backrest if I remember right. Just imagine how many sets of tires alone he has put on that thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, most people will never see 400,000 miles of riding a motorcyle in their lifetime much less on just one motorcycle.
    Tim
    2006 GL1800 ABS Beautiful Dark Red
    2009 Hannigan Sierra Beautiful Dark Red
    G.W.B.B.A. #21
    US ARMY RETIRED
    Civilian Contractor in Iraq

Post Thanks / Like

ANSWER-We may never know the real answer, it is much like a Tootsie Pop

2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.